Why Do I Do it?

Once in a while people will ask my why I am a Bike Commuter? I have a few answers that I give such as gas saving and exercise and all that stuff.

But for the most part, I just love to ride! I feel like a little kid on my bike. Must be the endoprhins!

What about you, why do you do it?

1. Eric May 1, 2007 11:56 am

Hmmm probably this order: Weight loss / preventative fitness, endorphins, fun, personal challenge (15 miles each way), fun, more time with my family, save money, reduce reliance on oil, different experiences, and, um, fun! I only wish Connecticut were a more bike-fiendly state!

2. RL Policar May 1, 2007 12:09 pm

Eric, you know you could make a difference by making your own community bike friendly. You can start by getting involved with some of the city counsel meetings and proposing some bike lanes and programs.

3. Jamie May 1, 2007 12:19 pm

I hate cars. I hate what they do to our world and its people, and I hate driving them. So I sold my car and started taking the bus. At the time, I didn’t have a bike. But I’d been talking about it for a while. I got a bike for my last birthday, though, and I’ve been cycling ever since.

So originally, I guess it was an attempt to put my money where my mouth is environmentally and to set a good example for my kids, but now I do it because it’s fun! My commute is only a little over 3 miles round trip so exercise is only really a small part of it. I wish it was longer. :)

4. mikey May 1, 2007 12:49 pm

i ride so i won’t feel guilty reading your blog at work

5. Othemts May 1, 2007 12:51 pm

Fun is a good reason. Numerous times I’ve had a grumpy day vastly improved by an exhilirating drive home.

Like the commenter above I hate cars not just for the damage they cause the environment, but for the congestion they cause in our beautiful cities and for the fact that they’re deathtraps on wheels.

In theory I’m fond of public transportation but in practice I hate waiting for buses that don’t run enough and are late and crowded when they do arrive. I have to take a zigzag with two connections to get to work, while on the bike I can ride a straight line. Biking cuts my commute time in half. In fact, if I drove a car and had to look for parking I don’t think I’d get there any faster.

I like the money I save – don’t have to pay for gas, for tolls, for parking, for car repairs, for extremely high Massachusetts insurance rates, or to buy/rent/lease a car.

I’m not a fitness guy, so biking is about the only exercise I get which is better than nothing I suppose.

But mostly, I just like to ride and that’s that.

6. RL Policar May 1, 2007 1:00 pm

All great reasons folks! I especially like the one about not feeling guilty about reading the blog! Haha.

7. Moe May 1, 2007 1:39 pm

I do it because I CHOOSE to do it, because I LOVE doing it and because I really like the perks of being a bike editor/tester for this site :)

8. Dan May 1, 2007 4:57 pm

It’s fun, and sometimes I get paid to ride when I cycle to a meeting across town.

9. Val May 2, 2007 9:12 am

All of the above, and a chronic need to be self reliant. I always feel better moving under my own power than when relying on fuel and motors.

10. Ghost Rider May 3, 2007 5:12 am

I like being a bike commuter for all of the above reasons — even though I own a car, I don’t like driving it, especially to work. I don’t have to worry about paying for parking or even finding a parking space when I get there.

Riding to and from work is a great stress reliever, too.

The best, though, is that my middle-aged, overweight coworkers look at me like I am some kinda crazy athlete (which I am totally NOT). I get a lot of grudging respect for being able to ride my bike while everyone else is trapped in their motorized coffins.