Riding to work with a backpack.

When I ride to work, I usually ride with panniers

or sometimes with a messenger bag

I don’t really care for riding with a backpack because I overheat easily and sweat a lot. My lovely little dog got a hold of my CamelBak’s bite valve and made it it’s chewing toy. I was going to replace the whole hydration unit, but it almost costs the same as buying a new pack! So I replaced my CamelBak with a Deuter Race XC II.

This pack features a unique system that Deuter Calls the Advanced Air Comfort system.

and it has 1200 ci of volume, enough room for casual friday’s shorts and T-shirt. I figured, why not, since a lot of you ride with backpacks (see poll) I gave it a shot. I also rode my 22 mile commute instead of my 9.6 miler, this way I was able to have a good idea how good the ‘Advanced Air Comfort System’ worked.

Although the primary function of the Deuter Race XC II is mountain biking, I liked it better than my messenger bag. I still think that panniers are the way to go if you have a rear rack installed on your bike.

Banjo Brothers Backpack

Banjo Brothers will be sending us a Commuter Backpack to test, we’ll do a post as soon as it arrives. Meanwhile, I will be searching for other backpacks that are more economic than the Race Air II (at $109 is not really cheap) and are commuter friendly.

If you ride with a backpack, let us know the brand and why you like it by posting a comment.

1. RL Policar May 28, 2007 6:32 pm

I like riding with my backpack. Not a big fan of panniers.

2. Cornfed Jay May 29, 2007 4:42 am

RL – Why don’t you like panniers?

3. RL May 29, 2007 5:32 am

They look goofy. Besides my strong back can handle a heavy back pack.

4. Moe May 29, 2007 7:58 am

I rather look ‘goofy’ than have a sweaty back. It’s not about strength, its about comfort.

5. RL May 29, 2007 8:12 am

I’m comfortable wearing a backpack…and I look good to when I do it. :)

6. Ben C. June 8, 2007 10:18 am

I ride with a regular backpack. It is large enough to fit my shoe, dress shirt/pants, under shirt, and belt. I also have a container for lunch. It is one of those Eastsports. I have not had the pleasure of using a backpack with the air comfort system, but this works for me. My ride is 9 miles each way and my clothes do not get wrinkled. Thank goodness.

Ben

7. RL June 8, 2007 11:23 am

Ben,

If you’re going to keep riding, I’d recommend the Banjo Brothers Back Pack. I use it all the time and its water proof. It has more room than a standard student back pack and its alot more durable.

8. testberichte May 3, 2011 3:37 am

Wanderrucksäcke – Hüttenbegleiter Testbericht…

Der Bergurlaub naht mit großen Schritten und damit auch die Zeit mehrtägiger Touren von Hütte zu Hütte……