NuVinci Hub First Impression

There’s nothing like riding to work on a new bike… OK, so the B27-R is not a new bike, but with the NuVinci hub installed, it feels like a different bike. This is nothing like I ever ridden, it’s kind of hard to describe…

As I started pedaling to work, I rotated the CruiseController to a cadence that was neither hard nor easy, it was just right. As I started increasing my cadence, I also adjusted the CruiseController and I started to roll at a very comfortable speed. When I reached the stop lights, I simply moved the CruiseController to an easier setting and I started pedaling with ease, the “pedal mashing” feeling that you get when you ride single speeds or fixies was gone. Also gone is the “clack-clack” noise and the “half-pedal” revolution of a multi-gear bike.

The drawbacks? The hub is heavy and you can feel it. But since I’m not riding a Crit or an XC race, the weight is forgotten once you reach a comfortable speed. My first impression is based on my short 9.6 mile commute, I’m planning to ride with the NuVinci hub on my longer 22 mile commute that features a couple of small hills and see how it does. Come back for more updates!

1. RL Policar May 30, 2007 12:54 am

Dang man you got that color coordination down to a science!

2. Eric May 30, 2007 7:23 am

It sounds great. I couldn’t find a place selling it to find a price? Any idea on that? The other thing I am interested in are how it handles hills. I have a fair number of long inclines and semi-steep hills. I usually climb them standing up. Can this take that kind of stress? Also I assume this hub, unlike a “fixie” glides? Thanks for blogging your findings!

3. Moe May 30, 2007 7:46 am

Eric, the hub can be ordered through your local LBS from Seattle Bike Supply, expect to shell about $600 bones for a whole system, not cheap, but it is a whole drive train. I rode a couple of hills around my neighborhood, nothing Alp D’Huez type and the bike climbed good. I need to replace the bottom bracket on this bike, as soon as I do that, I will hit a hill close to my house with a 6% – 8% incline.

4. Priscilla May 30, 2007 8:48 am

Um Moe. Your socks don’t match. :)

5. Chris May 30, 2007 10:26 am

That looks like a cool hub. I wonder if it would handle XC abuse and daily commuting adding up to say 70-100 mi per week. I REALLY like the rohloffs, but dropping 1200.00 for the speed hub is a stretch.

I’ll be anxious to see how this hub stands up to say a year of abuse and 2000mi for you.

Good luck

Peace out

6. Ghost Rider May 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Wow, Val’s review was thorough — and he gave it quite the ‘trial by fire’. Sounds like this hub is a winner!

7. Treedan June 21, 2007 8:56 pm

I seems this hub has some special fluid to assist its operation. Is this true? I ride all winter in Anchorage, AK and am looking for a derailleurless solution to frozen equipment. How do you think this hub would hold up to -20 F or colder conditions?

8. Val July 16, 2007 8:53 am

Treedan: I have just spoken to the folks at Fallbrook (designers of the hub). They have tested it extensively at -20 C, or -4 F, with no problems. I know this is not as cold as conditions you would be encountering regularly, but at least they’ve done some research. I imagine that the main effect of colder temperatures would be increased resistance in the hub. Maybe an electric sock wrapped around the hub would be useful.