Fixed Gear Friday!

This morning at 1:30am I hopped on my Redline 925 and headed to work. This is the first time that I actually would ride the whole distance from my home in Fullerton to my office in Irvine. I think the total distance one way would have been around 23+ miles. I made sure I was going to be visible to the motorist out there so I set my bike up with a rear blinkie, my Down Low Glow from Fossil Fool and my Fox Fury Head light. Oh and I wore my Velo Tees yellow T shirt to be extra visible. Ofcourse I used the new Banjo Brothers Commuter Back Pack.

The whole trip took me about an hour and a half. At one point I started questioning my self asking…”why am I doing this?” Reason being…I could still be in bed, it only takes me 30 minutes by car and I don’t have to deal with weirdos out there.

So after I told the voices to shut up, I got to my office. Luckily the security guard that is normally asleep when I get there, was actually on his patrol. With that said, I rolled my bike into the building. Heck I wasn’t going to leave it at the bike racks for someone to steal.

Elevator shot.

Here’s the 925 in its nightie (lights and all)

I did bring my lock, but I just didn’t want to leave it alone outside. So I decided to hide my bike under my desk. All I had to do was remove my seat post and front tire and it fits perfectly!

After work will be another story since Priscilla and the girls will be at the beach this afternoon. I figured I’ll head over there on the 925 and meet them at Newport Pier.

All in all, a good ride. I did get quite a bit of people yelling how cool my neon light was…but all that did was freak me out. I know they meant well, but at 1:30am I just don’t trust anyone!

1. Ben C. June 22, 2007 7:22 am

Congratulations on making it to work. You definitely set the bar higher for me. My ride is only 9 miles each way. You set a goal and accomplished it.

2. Elijah June 22, 2007 7:48 am

Good job, RL! Riding that late at night must be challenging. I’d fall asleep half way there. I just rode in with riser bars on my fixed steamroller for the first time. At first I hated it, but I may keep them.

3. RL Policar June 22, 2007 7:55 am

Thanks guys, I almost gave in and drove. But I figured I have to try it. Surprisingly I have more encounters with people in Placentia than in Downtown Santa Ana. In fact Placentia was busy with people around 1:45am, Santa Ana was dead, like a ghost town.

Elijah, I know what you mean about the riser, at first I wasn’t sure if I should stick with it. But after this morning I knew it was a good fit.

4. Russ Roca June 22, 2007 9:19 am

Awesome…that’s a pretty hard core commute :) All you need is a Dinotte :) and you can be your own electric light parade.

5. Josh June 22, 2007 11:04 am

That neon light IS awesome. What is it? Where’d you get it?

6. Moe June 23, 2007 7:24 am

Dude, that 9-2-5 really looks fast…

7. Dan June 23, 2007 1:51 pm

Bike under the desk? That cracks me up! I’m going to send this link to a friend that is fearful of leaving her ride on the rack.

8. RL June 24, 2007 4:58 pm

Dan…shhh….not so loud! I don’t want the sleeping security guard to find out! haha.

No one really bugged me about my bike during the day. It wasn’t until I got off work and started putting the bike together again when people started making comments.