Fixed Gear Friday…and a mountain bike

Typically we’ll post something that is fixed gear related and have some fun with it. Today’s fixed gear Friday is a bit different.

I started a new kick ass job with a Real Estate Investment company 5 miles from my home. So that meant commuting here was a no brainer. Yesterday was my first time riding to work. I brought my fixed gear bike. Since this building doesn’t have any bike racks, I decided to bring in my bike and store it in one of our offices.

Here’s an obligatory shot of me in the office wearing my Hoss MTB Knickers.

I live in a city where they take biking seriously. With that in mind check out how wide this bike lane is. It’s the same width as the car lane!

Ok so you’re wondering what the words “mountain bike” is doing with the title. Well just to let you all know, I do love mountain bikes…heck we run a mountain biking site! But I don’t love them for commuting. I decided to take one for the team and dedicated my commute this morning to our homie Noah. This ride’s for your buddy!

I took my super heavy trail bike, the Woodstock 707 equipped with Tag Wheels to work this morning. If you haven’t already figured it all out, my fixed gear photos were from Thursday.

With that said, don’t say I never liked mountain bikes…its just they are not my favorite to commute with.

By the way, I have a great commute, I go through some wide bike lanes, 2 parks and barely have to deal with idiot drivers.

1. LLrider August 3, 2007 11:29 am

Hey RL, whahappon? I think your pants shrunk in the washer. 😉

Man you are so lucky. Sounds like a great commute. I’ve only rode 4 times to work and I’m already tiring of insane drivers. In fact, I saw a bike commuter get hit by a car yesterday. Enjoy the nice commute!

2. RL Policar August 3, 2007 11:33 am

yeah they look funny on me, but if I were a few inches taller, I’d look cool.

Dude was the commuter ok?

3. Ghost Rider August 3, 2007 12:33 pm

I don’t think the various commenters meant that they ride stock MTBs as their commuting bikes…I am sure most (if not all) of them have road tires and all that other stuff that would make them more suitable to paved riding.

I like your knickers!!! Looks like you’re ready to go clamdigging!!!

4. Moe August 3, 2007 1:25 pm

What’s ironic is that I see countless of bike commuters with full suspension wally world bikes riding the streets of Los Angeles. When asked why they chose a full suspension bike, their reply is that they are supposed to be more ‘comfortable’.

5. LLrider August 6, 2007 6:44 am

It looked to be an immigrant bike commuter. He was taking a left hand turn on a busy street, INTO oncoming traffic!!!

I guess he thought he could dodge the cars. Some guy slammed on his brakes and the guy went up and on the hood and then to the ground. He shook his head and got up and rode away while the car driver yelled at him for being stup*d. It was the biker’s fault. I stopped to see if he was okay but he just rode away like it was part of a normal day.

It’s sobering to see something like that. Be careful out there everyone!

6. Scotty February 21, 2008 10:06 am

I love the image of the xtra wide bike lane! I am currently working with TampaBayCycle and am having a really hard time finding good biking photos. I was wondering if you had a higher resolution (i.e. BIGGER) photo of the bike lane that we might be able to use for a poster to promote the upcoming BayCycle events?

Scotty

7. Ghost Rider February 21, 2008 11:03 am

Scotty, is it ok that the bike lane pictured is in California, not Florida?