Bike Shops that DON’T suck.

Last week I posted about Bike Shops that suck. Unfortunately, most of us had concurred that there are a lot of shops out there that suck. However, there are also shops out there that don’t suck, so here’s my top three of what I expect from a bike shop:

1. Knowledgeable and friendly stuff. – I expect for the person who’s helping me to know their stuff and answer all questions in a non-condescending manner.

2. Competent Mechanics -If I’m taking my bike to a ‘pro’ mechanic, I want my bike back promptly and the work to be done right. Nothing sucks more than to go back to the shop because the bike was not fixed correctly.

3. Bike Fit- It doesn’t matter if I’m shelling a couple of grand or a couple of hundred for a bike, the bike should be adjusted to my body geometry so riding the bike would be comfortable.

Feel free to share what is it that you expect from a shop, who knows, maybe a shop manager is reading this.

1. Lance October 15, 2007 11:03 am

I expect a bike shop to do what they say they will do. I’ve taken my bike in for derailleur adjustments too many times only to find out it shifts the same as it did before!

2. Ghost Rider October 15, 2007 11:11 am

Amen — I think bike mechanics should be required to have the same type of certification as automotive mechanics! There are too many hacks with wrenches out there — especially the ones who will be swayed with offers of beer in exchange for service…bollocks!

I want my mechanic to treat my bike like it was his own…not some “old piece of junk” that didn’t come from their shop in the first place. Is it too much to ask that they know what a pin spanner is, or how to properly use a freewheel vise?

Don’t even get me started on facing and chasing tools — owning them does NOT necessarily qualify someone to USE them!

3. Jeff Rossini October 15, 2007 11:22 am

I have not yet had the privilege of finding a bike shop I love enough to do this, but I hear “tipping” can get you a long way with the LBS of your choice. I know a lot of people feel that bike shops are simply doing what they get paid for – but if you truly show your appreciation to a shop owner or the guy who fixes your bike when you need a last minute repair, it will go a long way and be the beginning of a great “relationship.” And it doesn’t have to be money. If the shop helps you out last minute, why not drop off a case of beer one afternoon? People like to be appreciated…

4. RL Policar October 15, 2007 1:51 pm

I’d like to revisit the point I brought up with RPM Cyclery in Lake Elsinore. Basically I love the fact that I get superb customer service. Like I’ve mentioned, RPM is about 40 miles each way from me, but I still make an effort to go out there just because I’m getting quality service.

Sure beer, tips, and free stuff for the shop emps help, but if they are still lacking in mechanical ability and customer service…then you’ve just wasted your money.

5. Arleigh October 18, 2007 10:50 am

I think the “customers that suck” (or don’t suck) post should be started.

6. Moe October 18, 2007 1:57 pm

Mmm, I don’t think that most of us are shop employees, but since you happen to be a service manager, why don’t you share some stories with us?