Could Bike Commuting Help You Get Promoted?

So with all that goodness being released into your body while riding your bike, think about the kind of attitude and productivity you’ll have once you sit down at your desk. I once had a job where I was hired on as a Marketing Associate. I then started commuting to work, 17 miles each way 2-3 times per week and then within a month, I was promoted to the Marketing Manager, and a month after that, Marketing Director.

Bike commuting helped me deal with my job in a different way. I remember when I would have to drive, I would already be tired as I pulled up to the parking lot and wasn’t as productive during the day. But if I rode, all the factors of the bike commute played into my better work habits. Not only did the cool air wake me up, but I was also getting a workout and I felt free. Bike commuting did quite a bit for my attitude and of course my health. I was just happier on the days that I rode.

When the CEO would see my bike in my office, he’d always make comments on how it takes dedication and drive and blah blah blah to ride a bike and because of that, I earned his respect and moved up the ladder.

There’s just something special about bike commuting that gets you noticed in a different light than butt kissing. Coworkers are always impressed that you would ride so far to work and that subject can be carried into meetings where other people discuss it as well as your job performance. Now bike commuting will not get you anywhere if your work is half assed. But I do know that bike commuting can help you become more productive and more alert with your duties at work and at home.

So if you want to move up the corporate ladder, try bike commuting.

1. My Personal Blog » Could Bike Commuting Help You Get Promoted? November 14, 2007 7:47 am

[…] Check it out! While looking through the blogosphere we stumbled on an interesting post today.Here’s a quick excerpt [IMG ] In my opinion, yes. Here’s a few reasons why. For starters when you ride your bike in or do any type of exercise, your body release all sorts of goodness into your brain to help you feel more at peace, invigorated and basically feel way better about yourself. This stuff is called endorphins and seratonin. So with all that goodness being released into your body while riding your bike, think about the kind of attitude and productivity you’ll have once you sit down at your desk. I once ha […]

2. Nord November 14, 2007 8:00 am

It’s funny you mention it, because most of my bosses seem to think its the coolest thing since sliced bread when I ride my bike to the office. Perhaps its because last month, when I logged the greatest number of commuting miles yet, set a record for productivity.

As Jeff has been known to say, “viva la velorution!”

3. Quinn McLaughlin November 14, 2007 9:35 am

One other side from your own work ethic(ref. halfassed) is the quality of the company you work for, I currently don’t get paid enough to support a car, especially when the company doesn’t have company vehicles.

4. RL Policar November 14, 2007 10:07 am

Q,

If its that bad, you could always move to another company.

5. Moe November 14, 2007 10:50 am

Even though my company does offer a monetary incentive to ride to work, I was actually ‘singled-out’ one time that I arrived late to work. I was basically told to drive my car if I was running late. The irony of the whole situation was that people at my work arrive late all the time, and they freaking drive!!!

6. Ghost Rider November 14, 2007 11:08 am

They should give bike commuters a little bit of a break if they’re running late…I mean, there’s no AAA to call if we get a flat out there or break a shifter cable!!!

7. Moe November 14, 2007 11:15 am

I actually arrived on time, it was the extra time that I took cleaning up that got me in trouble.

8. Evan November 14, 2007 12:06 pm

Those are some great thoughts RL. But I’m worried that a lot of companies might view bike commuters as a liability. (i.e. more likely to come in late or not come in at all, biking is not as reliable or civilized as car, etc…) In short, I think some management officials see biking to work as a less reliable option and a bicycle commuter as more of a rebel who refuses to conform to the “rules”…whatever those are.

Fortunately I work in a place that is very supportive of my decision to ride, but after talking with friends about it I have a feeling not everybody sees it our way. It’s up to us to change that perspective!

I suppose the best way to do that is to keep riding and arriving to work early or on time.

9. James November 14, 2007 4:22 pm

Evan, you are on the money: “some management officials see biking to work as a less reliable option and a bicycle commuter as more of a rebel who refuses to conform to the ‘rules’…whatever those are.” Wouldn’t you like the example if your kid’s teacher rode to school? My effing principal said, in almost so many words, that it was more important to use the shower room for the PTA’s storage than to let me use it for its purpose. Then she went ballistic when I showed her our school-board has a ‘health and wellness’ policy that fits with my request. Did I mention that I got transfered to her school by her superiors to facilitate my bike commute? Well, she’ll be transfered within a year anyway… Hope with her bulk and SUV she lives to retirement.

10. Jeff November 14, 2007 5:30 pm

Very relevant post RL. I work for a financial brokerage firm, and today my boss’s boss’s boss’s boss was in the office. He came by my department and saw my bike, started commenting on how nice it was and how he used to ride when he lived in the mid-West, before he moved to Manhattan.

I did not know who this gentleman was at the time. He and I talked about bikes and he was asking me about bike commuting – the whole time he was wide-eyed like a little boy on Christmas morning. It wasn’t until after he left that someone pointed out to me who that was. Glad I used my southern upbringing and had said “yes sir” and “thank you sir” while we spoke…

11. Biking to work – a beginner’s guide July 30, 2009 4:04 am

[…] pressure, stimulating serotonin, and helping you arrive at the office fully awake. Bike riders also stand out for promotion – if you’re having trouble catching the attention of management or just want to be […]