Trek Soho

Trek recently released a new bike called the Soho. They have a few models in this line. It varies from geared to a flip flop single speed/fixie. It’s a sharp looking bike. The price tag is about $549.00.
trek soho fixed gear

Specs:

Frameset
Sizes 15, 17.5, 20, 22.5″
Frame Alpha Black Aluminum
Fork Cro-Moly w/lowrider mounts
Wheels
Wheels Alloy flip flop high flange hubs; alloy rims
Tires Bontrager Race Lite, puncture resistant, 700x28c; 60 tpi
Drivetrain
Shifters n/a
Front Derailleur n/a
Rear Derailleur n/a
Crank Bontrager Nebula 44T w/chainguard
Cassette Shimano 17T
Pedals Nylon body w/alloy cage
Components
Saddle Bontrager Select City
Seat Post Bontrager Satellite Nebula
Handlebars Bontrager Urban Bullhorn, 25mm rise
Stem Bontrager Soho, 15 degree
Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Tektro alloy levers
Extras Chainguard

This bike is somewhat comparable to the Redline 925, but the 925 is only $499.

Which would you rather have?

1. Priscilla November 21, 2007 9:43 am

Wow. Very nice. ;D

2. russ roca November 21, 2007 10:28 am

depends….the Soho has a nice no-nonsense matte black look that says urban/city all over it…for me, the 925 has a more classic paint scheme and utilitarian feel to it with the fenders, but with a little bit of edge to it with the bullhorns….

if i feel like commuting in a gritty stealthy way…the soho

if i want to hint at a higher pedigree and class…the 925

3. MilesZS November 21, 2007 12:02 pm

The 925 — fenders included (but easily removable), Removeable chainguard also included, and it’s not aluminum. I don’t really want my fixie to be aluminum. Aluminum is for the mountain bike. I’ll take the double-butted CroMoly.

Maybe I’m being too utilitarian, as I don’t have an opinion on the paint schemes, except to say that, if you like matte black, that might be one of the easiest rattle-can jobs you’ll ever perform.

Also, the 925 is stock with moustache bars, not bullhorns. I’m sure most LBS’s will swap without additional cost. I would probably prefer drops or bullhorns, but maybe I’m odd.

4. Moe November 21, 2007 12:06 pm

The 2008 Redline 9-2-5 comes with bullhorns and a red paint scheme.

5. Ghost Rider November 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Man oh MAN I love that new 9-2-5 paint scheme…it’s classy and “old-school”.

6. Evan November 21, 2007 12:18 pm

I think I prefer my 925. I like the fenders it comes with and as others have said I like that it’s a steel frame.

That said, I think I like the handlebars on the SoHo more. I recently swapped out the mustache bars on my 925 for something similar, but with a little more of a vintage shape to keep things classy.

I also like the little chain guard the SoHo comes with, but I’m not sure how effective it would really be.

7. Moe November 21, 2007 12:27 pm

Interestingly, the specs on the SoHo state: “Handlebars Bontrager Urban Bullhorn, 25mm rise” but the picture shows a flat bar….

8. Ghost Rider November 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Aluminum is much cheaper than steel — that’s why so many bike companies crank out these bikes in a “lesser” material! It’s bumming me out, man!

Luckily, there are LOTS of good steel bikes on the market now…9-2-5, the Swobos, Bareknuckles, Somas, Surlys, Bianchis, etc. There’s something for everyone out there!

9. Val November 21, 2007 4:18 pm

Just so you know, the 925 actually comes with a chain guard, too – it’s just not shown in any pictures (yet).

10. Mike Myers November 21, 2007 5:42 pm

I like the looks of the Soho. The rubber insert on the top tube is a good idea for a bike that will likely see time locked to a rack. That being said, I’d probably go with the SU 2.0 instead, only because it has 26 inch wheels and I’m short. The SU 2.0 is a heck of a deal—$549 for a good frame, decent Shimano components, discs, and a frame with rack and fender mounts? Yes, please. It even appears that Shimano put the disc caliper on the left chainstay so mounting a rack is easier. There are even lowrider mounts to make mounting a basket easy. I just wonder how it would handle with a heavier front load?

11. Mike Myers November 21, 2007 5:42 pm

But yeah, I would much prefer the bike in steel. Fat tires can only compensate for so much.

12. RL Policar November 21, 2007 9:13 pm

I’ve ridden both. Currently my 925 is set up where it looks much like the Soho. I have a Ritchey stem and flat bar on it.

But I have to tell you, the gearing on the Soho is a bit too high. So that means starting from a dead stop is a bit harder, but once you’re coasting the thing rides smooth.

Here’s the deal, I prefer my 925 more than the Soho. Reason being, the steel frame just felt better.

13. Ghost Rider November 22, 2007 6:58 am

What’s the stock gearing for a 9-2-5?

44x17T really isn’t that big of a gear. I rock a 44×18 for around-town cruise gearing, and it’s not too tough on the legs to get running. One tooth less would mean a tad less spinning on the flats and downhills, though.

14. RL Policar November 22, 2007 7:06 am

the 925 42x16t

15. Mike November 22, 2007 8:15 am

Give it up to Trek for recognizing the commuter market by offering so many options. But they have a heritage with steel road frames–many old Treks still coveted and in use, many others converted to SS or FG. Why they don’t play on that and introduce a new/retro line of steel frame bikes is a mystery…

16. scott November 24, 2007 5:45 pm

wow. trek downgraded the hell out of that bike. when they first released it a couple years ago, it was retailing for 1200 or so. i sold maybe one when i was working at a shop. ahead of its time? or just too expensive. they thought it through very well…all the way down to the coffee thermos in lieu of a water bottle, and rubber stoppers, etc., but i bet they’ll sell more of these economy versions. a nice ride overall with the slick but wide tires. that was a big selling point for a lot of people. personally, i’d just stick with the cheaper 7.3 fx, but if you’ve got the money, go all out i suppose.

17. Ghost Rider November 24, 2007 5:50 pm

Scott, I remember the one you’re talking about…the rubber inserts on the top tube, that swanky brushed-stainless coffee mug, etc.

Looks like Trek still offers that one, though, and merely expanded the Soho line (there are 3 or 4 different models at varying pricepoints). The one pictured above is a lower-end “flavor” of the same bike you mentioned.

18. D November 29, 2007 7:32 pm

It looks like the brakes on the Soho crowd the tire. Is there enough space to mount fenders between the tire and the brake?

19. meli December 13, 2007 3:08 pm

ya well the soHo came out circa mid-06 for the 06 or 07 line I believe. it was just this year that there are a number of various models on it. I know because I came quite close of buying that first gen. one (not fixed of course) with 105s shimano shifters and ultegra derailer,or viceversa; but wat almost sold me is OF COURSE the coffee mug thats included in the bottle cage. Lush!!!!

20. Lowkeek January 27, 2008 10:54 pm

I love the way the “Soho S” looks, to bad it’s not done in Cro-moly, if it was I would buy it in a heart beat!

But has anyone seen the Gary Fisher “Triton”, what are you’re thoughts on this bike compared to the Redline 9.2.5.?

21. Nikolaus March 10, 2008 1:17 pm

I am 200lbs, and a commuter looking for a fixed gear to use in addition to my regular commuter. What is the big deal about aluminum vs. steel? Is it really going to bend out of alignment on me? I was going to buy the Soho S, but now not too sure….

22. RL Policar March 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Niko,

I’m about 200lbs my self, I ride the Redline 925 and it is very comfortable. Some people say that steel has a better riding feel than aluminum, not as harsh. I have to agree that my steel bikes are nicer…

23. Richard E. Myers March 24, 2008 9:48 pm

One get what one pays for, is often said, however in this case less is more. It works and it works well. One may pay more and often get more but this one is rather good and it will hold up. I have a steel bike I am building and it will be great when done, but even so, I will ride the Soho a lot even then. Yes a heavy load in a basket will upset the handling. the trick is not to go too far.

24. neotint April 4, 2008 12:13 pm

I just picked up a Soho S. (At Bicycle Habitat in Soho actually, around the corner from where I work.) The deciding factor was the aluminum, lighter is better here in NYC with flights of stairs and ceiling mounts and such. Minimalism to me is having less bike, and more biking. Less dogma, more free wheeling. Peace.

25. Danneroo June 16, 2008 1:33 pm

I converted a 7.1 fx into a single with LX breaks and new shimano cranks, and origin 8 handlebars. Amazing. I put together cheaper than the soho I bet, although it looks identical.

26. Cool Hand June 17, 2008 2:25 pm

I have been riding a Soho S 14.5 miles round trip daily for some time now. The bike is awesome but I originally thought the single speed would be a benefit and it turns out it is a slight drawback for my commuting needs. I average 14 mph on the bike but could probably average 17-19 on a 21 speed. I’ll probably be buying a bigger sprocket soon.

27. Sémélé June 18, 2008 1:45 pm

I am currently debating between a Bianchi Pista and the Soho S for a commuter, but would like some opinions other than about the materials from which they are made.

28. Theo September 6, 2009 5:42 am

I ride a SOHO (retail $1200) paid $750 a YEAR ago at the local TREK dealer in Cockeysville MD (they still have some left). Use it in the city and also at the NCR trail. Love the ride, looks, brakes ( I am 6 feet and 280 lbs). Gears not my favor but a great bike over all