Bar Tape

When we were at Sea Otter, I saw that the Women’s Racing team for Gary Fisher were all using bar tape for grips. I imagine that they were doing it to save some weight. So I figured I’d try it out since I couldn’t find extra grips for my Redline 925. I even installed some Bontrager Buzz Kills.

1. db December 5, 2007 8:48 am

How’s that workin’ out? I’m going to do the same thing on my old Trek, as I’m too lazy to remove the bar ends and then install new grips.

Might even tape the bar ends as well. Anyone done this?

2. Ghost Rider December 5, 2007 8:50 am

I taped some barends once…they get pretty chewed up and icky in short order, though, but it’s easy enough to retape them every couple months.

3. Quinn December 5, 2007 10:09 am

4. Quinn December 5, 2007 10:14 am

I Have to tape my bar/bar ends due to a few bad wrecks my left wrist is bad. I can’t close my hand around hard rubber grips for any length of time, so I take 1/2 the length of 1 tape and build it up over the grip, to make it super cushy, I wrap my bar end with the other half. Ted is right about them getting messed up, I eventually wrap the tape in electrical tape, until it completely compresses, cut it of and do it again.
    Hint- use gel tape, a lot longer lasting

5. James December 5, 2007 3:02 pm

You want tape to stay in place? Simple: wrap the naked bars in unpadded two-sided tape, then wrap bar-tape over top. Nothing else works as well.

6. cafn8 December 6, 2007 7:40 am

I have been taping my bar ends on my mountain bike for quite some time. I still use rubber grips on the bar, but the bar ends are wrapped in nice cushy cork grip tape. It’s nice and grippy even when it gets wet.

7. Levi December 6, 2007 10:49 am

I’ve seen some top XC racers doing that as well. I prefer grips but the bar tape is a nice idea because you can keep it thin and light or go super-thick if you really want to.

8. Rob July 17, 2011 10:54 am

My partner has been asking me to tape her flat bar and bar ends for awhile now, and haven’t ever heard of it being done. I’m glad someone else has tried it (and liked it).
    Off to work on it now!