I’d ride it…

All this talk about cargo bikes made me wonder if getting one of these Torker TriCycles would make more sense. I’m sure there’s a way for me to convert one to carry passengers and more load. What do you think? Do TriCycles have the same umph and practicality as would a Bakfiets or XtraCycle?

1. Val December 6, 2007 2:34 pm

RL: This is a topic that I and my fellow cargo freaks have discussed at great length when weighing the relative merits of various designs. The main reason to use three wheels rather than two is, of course, balance. This can be an issue when carrying loads too heavy to allow the rider to maintain speed over the terrain they must traverse, or when carrying an especially tall or topheavy load. Balance can also be a concern for some riders due to inner ear problems or other health related issues, and a trike can make many things possible in these cases that would be out of the question with two wheels. In general, two wheeled vehicles have much better manuverability, less weight when unloaded, and a narrower profile which can help for getting into tight areas. For truly practical cargo trikes, check out Organic Engines ( http://tinyurl.com/2wtoff ) and Cycles Maximus ( http://www.cyclesmaximus.com/ ). Note that these are highly developed designs, optimised for stability and low centers of gravity with extreme loads. The Torker, while a fine machine for its intended use, will not handle as well or accelerate as quickly as your XtraCycle, and has a weight limit (for rider and payload) of 250 lbs. I know you’ve carried more than that on your X. Adult trikes of this type are cool and fun for casual beach cruise type riding, but for serious cargo, you still need a serious cargo vehicle.

2. Jeff the Veloteer December 6, 2007 3:12 pm

My thought is you could probably find one on craigslist for ~$100 – I know there are always a handful of “3-wheeled cruiser bikes” on CL here in Phoenix. Might save you some dough that you can sink into modifications!

I have thought about getting a bike like this though to use as a “grocery-getter.” They’re pretty rad in their own little way.

3. Ghost Rider December 6, 2007 3:21 pm

You know, with the plethora of trikes to be found in Florida (all those old-timers, ya know), I’ve always been tempted to buy a used one and lace the existing trike hubs into 700c rims for more performance. A few more parts changes (gearing, bars/saddle) and I could have a quick little machine that could haul a pile of stuff!

4. RL Policar December 6, 2007 3:23 pm

That’s actually a great idea Jack…now if I can only convince the folks at SBS to send me a Torker….

5. Ghost Rider December 6, 2007 5:12 pm

The British folks race high-performance cycle trikes…why can’t we?

6. RL Policar December 6, 2007 5:15 pm

Really? I’ve never heard of it. I suppose if you get all 3 wheels to be 700c and a fork that fits, you wouldn’t have any issues with geometry and such. I wonder though how the wheels will handle a large load especially during cornering.

7. Smudgemo December 6, 2007 5:19 pm

I think you’d be disappointed in the cargo capacity and lack of bikeieness that you are used to. They aren’t made for that kind of use.
    If the Xtracycle is too spendy, you could always buy the FreeRadical w/o any accessories and fab stuff from the hardware store or junkyard. Then you’d get a quality frame and the chance to channel your inner Paul Teutul.

8. RL Policar December 6, 2007 6:35 pm

Now that looks interesting. Though I doubt the Torker Trike would be a speed machine like the ones on that site, but I think you could have alot of fun with it.

9. Ghost Rider December 7, 2007 8:37 am

I think that with some modifications, you could make a pretty quick trike out of that Torker…it wouldn’t compare to a REAL racing trike, I’m sure…and it would probably cost quite a bit to get it tricked out with decent wheels and stuff.

10. meli December 13, 2007 2:59 pm

Ive seen this older lady rock this ride in berkeley. with her pet once and it is super cute. of course id replace the pet with booze. if i was 50ish+ id feel comfy riding this maybe.