Make your own Studded Ice tires

So now that you know how to make your own tire chains, now you can learn how to do your own studded ice tires. Noah from KC Bike Commuting posted a great DIY on his blog.

Doing it is easy, but time consuming. I spent about an hour per wheel.

Before you get started, you’ll need a pair of Mr. Tuffy (or equivalent) tire liners. I went with one size up from what’s recommended because I wanted to make sure the liner would cover the screw heads.

Click here to read Noah’s great DIY.

1. Quinn December 11, 2007 10:23 am

There is a Thread on MTBR, 29er Forum about this, basically saying the Kenda Klaw- front was the best and also a mixture of Stans and Mr. Tuffy solution, super glue, nuts on the outside(nuts become studs) among a few others, even a guy dipping the screws in Stans befor installing.
    All interesting ideas

2. Quinn December 11, 2007 10:23 am

All interesting ideas

3. Val December 11, 2007 10:51 am

I’ve always found that sheet metal screws are quite effective by themselves. For me, the hard part was coming up with just the right length to allow the tires to work well on bare pavement. Long, super agressive screws will stick to ice and snow like a cat to a tree trunk, but they’re horrible when the ice vanishes for a block or so. Careful selection and placement of several lengths is the best strategy, unless you’re dealing strictly with off road situations.

4. Bob Gray October 19, 2010 6:21 am

I just studded a tire with sheet metal screws. I put a layer of duct tape over the screw heads and a old inner tube over the tape. I had a problem holding the tube liner in place. What finally worked for me was to spot glue the tube to the inside of the tire every 4 or 5 inches with a hot glue gun. It held great and was easy to do.

5. Bob Gray October 19, 2010 6:26 am

I studded a tire with sheet metal screws with duct tape over the screw heads and an old inner tube over the tape. I was having trouble holding the tube in place. My solution was to spot glue the tube to the tire every 4 or 5 inches with a hot glue gun. It was easy to do and worked great.

6. chris January 6, 2011 4:32 pm

i run 3/8 sheet metal screws on the center tread, and 1/2 inch on the sides. NO tubes just stans sealant. Tires were the IRC trail bear. NEVER get a flat. Can run really low pressure.