Fixed Gear Friday: Cali dissed

Specialized Langster line features 7 different models. 5 of them named after cities:

Langster Boston

Langster Seattle

Langster Chicago

Langster London

Langster New York

Source:Specialized.com

But where is the LA model? or the SFO model? or the Hollywood model? What? Are we not ‘hip’ enough?

1. Max December 14, 2007 12:47 pm

The LA one has a full-size carbon fiber Hummer chassis that fits over it, complete with smoking exhaust pipe. The SFO one is still trying to make it up the hill to the photo-shoot. Specialized is delayed trying to figure out where to put the tiny dog holder on the Hollywood one, and the local valet parkers are getting training on them prior to roll-out.
    I just want to know where the Wilmington Delaware model is…

2. Ghost Rider December 14, 2007 1:05 pm

I hear Specialized is rolling out a Lake City, Florida model…the chainring only has one tooth! Ha ha…get it?

3. Lance December 14, 2007 3:47 pm

I really like the different looking chainrings though!

4. Ghost Rider December 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Lance, those chainrings look like Sugino “Messenger” rings…available in colors from a variety of sources.

5. James December 14, 2007 4:18 pm

I don’t even ride fixed, but aluminum? Come on!

Same goes Trek and Giant!

If your frame material has more than one syllable, it sucks: only steel or ti’.

6. Ben C December 14, 2007 5:11 pm

Good joke, Ghost Rider.

7. Lance December 14, 2007 6:50 pm

Sugino eh? Hmmm…now you got me thinking about a superfluous upgrade.

8. Marrock December 14, 2007 8:32 pm

I’m still waiting for the “Post-Katrina New Orleans” Langster to come out.

9. Max December 15, 2007 10:23 am

Nice one about Lake City! I grew up in Tallahassee, so I know what you mean!

10. Quinn December 15, 2007 10:50 am

I would say something about a egas model, but I don’t think That many light is road legal!

11. Ghost Rider December 15, 2007 12:07 pm

Max…glad there are a couple people out there who got this one! I worked up there for 8 years as a state health inspector…I’ve got horror stories that would curl your hair!

12. big black shed December 17, 2007 4:26 am

One of the guys at my LBS bought a London, just before Specialized did the dirty on them and refused to supply. When I rode it, it just felt wrong. Too stiff and harsh, when compared to the steel framed Charge Plug that was in the shop at the same time. Same price too. Check out the Charge Plug:

There is a very sweet prototype Ti version:

And no, I’m not connected to Charge in any way.

13. Gimpie January 4, 2008 10:13 pm

I am still waiting for the Birmingham, AL model to show up. Its gonna have 44″ mud boggers on it and be themed after the rebel flag.

14. hacker May 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I have worked in a shop for 3 years and have built 3 fixies in that amount of time. I did just buy the Langster Seattle, and I have to say, for the commuting side of things it is nice, simply get rid if the rear brake. but for the racing aspect it feels all wrong, and the 42×16 that comes on it is just a pain in the ass. the alluminum does work well though, I mean for as cheep as it was (due to the E.P.) it was more than worth it!

15. 5stone April 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I’ve ridden the chicago version all last summer. I use it mostly for commuting but have ridden it on forty mile rides. I’ve got it flopped to fixed, removed the rear brake and switched to a 48t sugino messenger chainring. It’s light and fast. I love this bike.

16. Pedalfiend September 16, 2010 2:15 pm

To state the obvious, Texas and lots of other great states got dissed too. Come on Specialized… You know a Dallas or Austion edition with a great big ol’ set of bullhorn bars would sell like hot cakes here…

17. Pedalfiend September 16, 2010 2:16 pm

Ooo… Just noticed how late I am to the party 0_0!