$100 a barrel…

With the recent news of oil reaching $100 a barrel, you know its just a matter of time before we’ll see increases in gas prices.

I remember seeing a report that asked people the question, “How much does gas have to be before you start making changes to your driving habits?” Of course the idiots were saying…”$5.00 per gallon.” Honestly, even at $10 a gallon, I really doubt that people will even begin to consider riding their bikes as a source of transportation. People love their cars too much to be “inconvenienced” by a bicycle…

Ok my rant is over…

1. Noah January 3, 2008 2:17 pm

At a city council meeting I attended a few months ago, the Mayor of Olathe, KS said (paraphrased) “I know I said I’d consider riding a bike for transportation if gas got to $10 per gallon. I’m going to take it back, because it’s getting too close. Maybe at $30 per gallon.”

2. Moe January 3, 2008 2:21 pm

Sounds like the Mayor is a major dork…

Here’s my prediction: Hybrid cars will start to become hot sellers again.

3. Noah January 3, 2008 2:31 pm

I agree. I’d better start buying stock in Nickel strip mining corporations.

4. Ben C January 3, 2008 2:47 pm

I feel the majority of people will rant and complain but will do nothing. They will not change their driving habits. I agree with RL. Many will see riding a bike as an inconvenience. Where are they going to put their Starbucks coffee at?

I can only dream of the day when the freeway for cars can be renamed to bikeways for bikes.

Ben C.

5. Ghost Rider January 3, 2008 2:58 pm

I’m with Ben. In Europe, folks take advantage of walking, bicycles, streetcars, buses and commuter trains in part because gas is so expensive, but more importantly — because cities were designed to facilitate multiple transit options.

Here, we’re thrilled with urban and suburban sprawl, creating communities with looping roads and single highway access points, necessitating the use of cars. No one wants to live right on top of one another, so we’ve clearcut thousands of rural acres to build so-called “communities” that are full of houses but nothing else, forcing residents to drive elsewhere for commerce and employment purposes. We just don’t get it in the U.S., so we’ll bitch and moan and then fire up our gas-suckers for trips that we could have easily walked or biked to.

A typical attitude: “Starbucks might be just around the corner, but I’ll be damned if I’m going to WALK there!”

6. Mike Myers January 3, 2008 5:15 pm

I think gasoline would have to hit unimaginable prices in the US for people to stop driving. Maybe 10/gallon. Maybe higher. People will just spend money on gas that they would otherwise spend elsewhere.

7. Ghost Rider January 3, 2008 6:40 pm

Mike, where ya been? Did you ever get my email about your new bike pictures?

I think a lot of folks are forgetting that EVERYTHING will get more expensive. Oil prices rising means that plastics will become more expensive (basically, anything made from oil)…and groceries always creep up in price because they’re dependent on petroleum for transport from farm to table and harvesting in a lot of cases.

8. Jeff the Veloteer January 3, 2008 7:28 pm

A good friend of mine threw a phrase at me today, and I have heard him use it before: “be the change you want to see in the world.”

Sam is right – and he started an organization (www.CoolPeopleCare.org) that tries to do just that.

Shameless plug aside, what matters is that we who are here at this site ascribe to that saying, whether we know it or not. We bike, because for one reason or another, we think something needs to change. I commend all of the readers and writers in taking the first step in doing something about $100 barrels of oil – and that is simply doing SOMETHING.

9. big black shed January 4, 2008 4:53 am

I started to commute by bike to save petrol (gas for you in the US) money. My wife and I “needed” 2 cars, but the financies just didn’t add up.
    Buying another car, servicing, insurance and taxing it, (Yes, here in the UK you have to buy a “license” (read: tax) to drive your car. It ranges from about $70 for the smallest, least pollutant up to $600 for the most, per year. Most American cars would fall in to the higher bands. SUV’s would all be $600).
    In 6 months of commuting I had paid for my bike, just in saved gas (petrol). 3 months after that all of my gear, clothes and accessories.

I’ve been commuting in “profit” for 6 months now. And that’s not taking in to account the health and well-being benefits that riding my bike has given me.

10. Max January 4, 2008 7:24 am

Most cities that have a strong pedestrian and bicycle population were originally designed before the automobile or they were designed with people/bikes in mind. Carriages were not used by the common people for personal transportation, they were primarily used for cargo, and they travelled slowly. Older city centers Philadelphia, Wilmington DE, and Baltimore can accommodate pedestrians/bikes, but it is almost impossible to travel between these city centers without a car. Philly is only about 20 miles from Wilmington, but you would seriously take your life in your hands in anything but a motor vehicle making the trip. There just isn’t infrastructure to connect these city centers for bikes. I’m sure it is worse in LA or Phoenix!
    Which came first… the bicycle-infrastructure or the bike-commuter?

11. Hyper7 January 4, 2008 9:49 am

Here in SA gas (petrol) is at R7.00/Liter. We are very much a motorist society, much like the US. I have always wondered what would happen if some “act of god” caused gas to go to R30/l overnight. It will make me smile, anyhow. :o)

12. Papà Volontario January 4, 2008 3:27 pm

unfortunately the cost of a barrel of oil means much more than decide whether to ride a bike rather than to drive a car. For wise people, it is obvious that we have to ride if we can. But such a cost means that probably there is not enough oil, and we are actually not ready to do without it.