Pelican Case Mod

Hey everyone, this is my first post as an official BikeCommuters.com team member so I thought I’d post about something I use every day during my bike commute. The video is a little rough as I’m still working on my editing skillz.

Enjoy!

1. Laura January 8, 2008 3:38 pm

Great video instructions, Russ. I like pelican cases because they are so sturdy and keep my gear from shattering on commutes. Hadn’t thought of attaching pannier clips. I may need to give this a try this spring.

I’m looking forward to the next diy video!

2. Jim January 10, 2008 4:27 pm

I looked at the ortlieb website and didn’t see the hardware you used, do you have a part #? I have an unused pelican case that I would like to use :)

Great vid.

Jim

3. Ghost Rider January 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Russ, I finally got to watch your video…great job! You have a very soothing voice!

Did you do anything to the inside hardware to ensure waterproofness (silicone or rubber washers)?

4. Russ Roca January 10, 2008 5:09 pm

I didn’t add any waterproofing to this case, just because it hardly rains here. But yes, you can put rubber or silicone washers on the inside to better seal it….

5. Priscilla January 11, 2008 12:11 am

“You have a very soothing voice!”

You’re such a flirt Jack! 😉

6. ablejack June 22, 2008 8:21 am

I’ve been planning on doing this with Berthoud clips rather than Ortlieb. The Berthoud top hooks mount on an aluminiun rail and you wouldn’t have to “dremel” away the box. Also the bottom rail comes standard with two sliding tabs rather than the Ortlieb one. This mod is nothing new. I came up with it on my own too but the motorbike community has been all over it forever. There is even a company Caribou which uses Pelican cases to make their panniers. My concern is that if you dump the bike will the hooks crack. Then you’re out on the road with two bags and no way to carry them. So I’ve been kicking around the idea of mounting with stainless hooks and straps.