The Old Water Bottle Trick

I normally post things on MtnBikeRidersTv.Com for any of our videos. But this one I figured bike commuters may appreciate.

Watch the video and if you try it, remember not to breathe in while doing so. This will help alleviate some of your congestion, allergies and mucous.

1. Dave Lloyd January 20, 2008 8:38 pm

I’ll vouch for the Neti pot thing (bought one years ago before I saw this water bottle trick). My allergies are much better after using one. I used to get pretty nasty colds and sinus infections when I traveled around the country, but once I started to use the Neti pot the colds and sinus infections nearly stopped.

2. Noah January 20, 2008 10:05 pm

Funny you mention this. I actually had some crazy bug making some sort of an attempt to thwart my commuting adventures. With it came sinus-loads of delectable slime.

I like my bike bottles too much, so I washed out an almost-empty honey container, you know, the bear-shaped bottles with pointy lids. It had much the same effect.

Note: Jala Neti works a lot better and stings much less if you mix in the right amount of sea salt and possibly some other stuff. I just use sea salt and make a good 0.9% isotonic saline solution but I’ve heard of baking soda and other stuff as well. Table salt has other additives in it that are okay for consumption but not the best for clearing your schnozways.

3. cafn8 January 21, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks for that. It’s proof that excellent journalism is not for the squeamish. So, do you use this when you start feeling a problem, in the place of a decongestant, or do you do it regularly like you would with showering and teeth brushing?

4. Ghost Rider January 21, 2008 7:43 am

That wasn’t nearly as gross as I was expecting!

Does this trick work when your sinuses and nasal passages are already clogged with goo?

5. RL Policar January 21, 2008 8:07 am

I used this about 5 times yesterday. Stuff does come out. I like this better than that netty pot because you can squeeze the bottle and let the water pressure flush you out better.

When I did it, my allergy symptoms would go away.

6. Priscilla January 21, 2008 8:37 am

Yeah, I was really afraid to try this but RL couldn’t stop raving about how good he felt so i gave it a go yesterday. O MAN!!! I couldn’t believe how much mucous i had built up there. After a few rinses everything drained out. It felt so good afterwards! I’ve never breathed so well before – and I don’t really suffer from allergies. I will be doing this on a weekly basis now.

7. Tim January 21, 2008 10:32 am

I’ve been using a Neti pot for a couple of years now and have only had a couple of days of cedar fever. This is in Austin, TX, allergy capital of the universe! Previously, I had a couple of days of freedom from allergies per year. The only thing I have to be careful about is not blowing too hard before all the water is out. If you blow water into your ear canal, it can get really uncomfortable.

8. cafn8 January 22, 2008 5:05 am

I thought I’d post a follow up on this topic. I have sinus congestion so often that a dull headache is what normal feels like. I picked up some sea salt last night on my way home from work, and tried flushing myself after dinner. Even though I was up late truing the wheels on my new (old) road bike I felt better than I ever do when I woke up. I’m hooked. Thanks.

9. RL Policar January 22, 2008 7:31 am

Right on! I’m going to do it right now since my allergies are acting up. Glad that it worked for you.

10. PushingWind May 19, 2008 8:55 am

It’s now May in Denver and I’m been sneezing and blowing for a few weeks now. Remembered this post but couldn’t actually bring myself to do it. Watched the video again. I will try anything at this point so some sea salt will be picked up tonight for a try.