$350 Commuter Bike

Pricepoint.com has a sweet deal on a house brand commuter bike.

The Sette CR-9 Commuter Bike
would make a great machine for anyone that wants to start commuting…but is on a budget. Besides, it has 700c wheels, in my opinion, a better choice for a commuter than a 26″.(uh oh…I hear the 26″ riders coming to get me with their comments!)

Here’s the specs:

Sette CR-9
The Sette CR-9 is the perfect bike for those who are looking to travel the off beaten path as well as the concrete jungle. Efficiency is the key when it comes to the CR-9, large 700c wheels, allow this bike to roll over a variety of terrain perfect for a commuter or anyone looking for a bike for recreational use.

Frame: 7005 series aluminum
Crankset: Truvativ FC Five D 3.0
Wheelset: Sun Ringle CR-18 700C
Front Derailleur: Shimano Tourney FD CO50
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio RD 410
Shifter: Shimano ST EF35
Tires: Kenda
Cassette: Shimano HG-30
Pedals: Wellgo LU-990

1. Quinn February 5, 2008 4:21 pm

radial laced, low spoke-count weeks are just asking for trouble,

tourney- i have torqued apart Deore.

and the joy of the harsh aluminium.

2. Quinn February 5, 2008 4:25 pm

Oh and if the fork is anything less than an RST, i give it maybe a year

3. RL February 5, 2008 5:12 pm

Give it a year? Based on what? What kind of research do you have to back up your statement?

Here’s my beef about steel and alum…just to let you know I own a few steel bikes and a handful of alum bikes. Yes its true that alum is a bit stiffer…harsher, but its not like its a major difference.

But for someone that can’t really afford a $500 commuter, or someone that is just starting out, this bike or anything like it would serve its purpose.

4. Ghost Rider February 5, 2008 6:44 pm

Didn’t you know? Steel is REAL! 😉

As much as I love steel frames, I’m getting tired of hearing about how aluminum is that inferior. If that were truly the case, I think you wouldn’t see so many successful aluminum bikes.

As for the wheels…low-count spokes seem like a bad idea for a commuter, but I can say that those Sun-Ringle rims are tough as nails! They probably don’t need so many spokes to be tough enough for the job!

5. Mike Myers February 5, 2008 7:11 pm

The wheel spec on that bike is obviously a fashion choice. Price Point could have specced some 36h wheels just as easily, and cheaply. But flashy wheels sell.

I’ve ridden steel bikes and I’ve ridden aluminum bikes, and there is a difference. Whether it’s a geometry difference or due to the material is unclear, but the aluminum bikes I’ve ridden with road geometry have hurt my lower back very quickly. Aluminum bikes were successul because they’re lighter, and light bikes sell. Most people don’t ride enough to worry about being comfortable, IMHO.

6. justfrank February 6, 2008 5:58 am

Mail order? Tack on some assembly costs ad shipping. Plus, how will you know this bike is right for you if you can’t test ride it.
    Aluminum, steel, whatever. It may be fine for you, but it would be nice to try it.
    As Mike said, they’ve made some fashion driven choices here. Commuters are not about fashion. If you want a basic commuter, with very little flair and a lot of function, get something like a Marin Muir Woods from a reputable bike shop. Steel frame, dependable wheels, no shocks. It retails for a about a hundred bucks more, but that includes assembly.

7. Quinn February 6, 2008 9:06 am

WoW, I stirred the pot!

Al vs steel, I was just saying I think its harsh.

Fork- I blew an RST in 8 months commuting, and stomped a Roc Shox all over the Appilachains and Blue Ridge for 4 years without service. That said, I know RST makes a highly praised 29er fork.

Oh and I agree with justfrank, Gotta test ride it!

8. Quinn February 6, 2008 9:11 am

WoW, I stirred the pot!

Al vs steel, I was just saying I think its harsh.

Wheels- it is personal choice, but I figure after a few months of having them trued atleast weekly, they will get a tougher/higher spoke count wheelset.
    Oh and I agree with justfrank, Gotta test ride it!