Sea Otter Classic 2008: Selle An-Atomica

First of all, our apologies for all the outages that we’ve been experiencing for the last 2 days. Our hosting service is working hard on fixing the problem.

We swung by the Selle An-Atomica booth at the Sea Otter Classic. We checked out their not-so ordinary line of ostrich hide saddles. The cool thing about these saddles is that they are water resistant and come in different colors.

I sat down on their display model to get a quick ‘feel’ of the saddle; unlike my Brooks saddle, the Selle An-Atomica saddle molded to the shape of my rear instantly. I can’t really say that the saddle is more comfortable than others since I didn’t get a chance to ride one for an extended period of time, but if you go to their website, you can learn all about their saddles and about the anatomy of your butt. Oh, they also have an ‘upgrade’ for your Brooks saddle!

1. Clancy April 25, 2008 7:54 am

Those are cool with the color and waterresistence. Brooks is coming out with a cut-out and calling it the Imperial. They will have a women’s version also.

2. SF Bike Commuter April 25, 2008 10:35 am

When my Brooks saddle broke I replaced it with a Selle Anatomica Titanico and I am very pleased. The saddle is very comfortable and I like it much more than I ever liked the Brooks and I really liked the Brooks for the four years I used it.

3. Wayne Myer April 25, 2008 12:15 pm

I have a Titanico also. It is definitely love at first ride. Comfort right out of the box with almost no break-in. The Watershed coating has stood up to all-weather, year-round commuting and riding.

The only problem I had is that the tensioning mechanism in the nose squeaks. I put a small strip of handlebar tape in between the saddle frame and the tension carrier. No more squeak.

I would vigorously suggest one of these to anyone even vaguely considering a more comfortable saddle.

I also recently purchased a Brooks B17 just to try it out. A great saddle, but a different kind of comfort. It is a tight race and I think a matter of personal preference. My preference is sticking with Selle Anatomica for all my bikes from now on.

4. Mike Myers April 26, 2008 4:13 am

I’m a die-hard Brooks rider. B17s are on all my bikes. I know that my saddle needs are taken care of for the next 30,000 miles or so. I don’t trust the cutout on the An-Atomica, and I’ve heard reports from owners of those saddles that they sag pretty quickly.

5. Ghost Rider April 26, 2008 6:05 am

I worry more about my “junk” getting pinched in that cutout when I go commando. That would suck!

Ostrich leather in pretty colors is darn cool, though…particularly the kelly-green model in the above picture.

6. mgr April 26, 2008 5:52 pm

I’ve had one of these for a year now. Worst money I ever spent on a piece of bicycle equipment. It’s awful. It sags, it won’t hold its tension, it squeaks, and it’s just plain uncomfortable.

7. Wanted It To Work December 13, 2008 10:06 pm

I was very excited about this saddle and bought two of them. But alas, after a bit of very comfortable use problems arose. The soft leather means that when you sit on it the sloping sides in the nose flatten out, widening the nose and rubbing on your legs. Also, the tensioner bolt would come loose, causing too much slack, and there was no way to put a lock washer on it to solve the problem.

8. Harry February 2, 2013 4:07 am

This saddle helped my hemmereroids. They had a place to pop thru while I was on my century rides.