California Bike to Work Day at Long Beach

Just came back from Long Beach. I was there with the fellows from Bikestation and LBCyclists.org to celebrate Bike to Work Day and to encourage people to ride to work.

Turn out was very good; we had all sorts of riders stop by. We were giving away all sorts of schwag and of course, we were raffling a bicycle provided by KHS Bicycles. Riders were greeted by smiling faces and were treated to coffee, muffins, water and Bumble Bars.

There was the occasional passerby the didn’t know that it was Bike to Work Day — most of these onlookers were surprised to see how many people ride their bikes to work and we were commended on ‘trying to make a difference’.

I had a great time with Russ, Dominic, Jaymee and Laura, thank you all for putting this thing together and hope to see you next year!

Note: Winners will be announced on www.lbcyclists.org

1. Ghost Rider May 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Very cool — gettin’ the word out!

That’s a nice venue; where is it? Is that the Belmont Shore Pier?

2. Moe May 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Yes sir, you are correct. The location was perfect, we were right next to a busy bike trail that was being used by commuters and recreational cyclists.

3. Ghost Rider May 15, 2008 4:11 pm

Ha ha…lucky guess! I have a confession to make: I’ve never been to California. Hell, I’ve never even been CLOSE to California! But, my sister mentioned a cool pier in Long Beach, so that was my guess. Looks like a nice place to hang out with a bunch of bike-friendly folks.

4. Randy May 15, 2008 4:19 pm

It was a pleasure to meet you guys today! (we came early and were on the black & white LeMond road bikes)

5. nicole May 15, 2008 8:15 pm

ah, i biked to work. my 16 miles round trip. unfortunately, i leave at the buttcrack of dawn to make it to work @ a gawdawful hour, so no cool aid stations for me. :( looks like a good one set up there in LB. :)

6. russ roca May 15, 2008 11:25 pm

Randy…thanks for stopping by…it was nice chatting with you guys!

7. db May 16, 2008 9:10 am

Man, that looks like a great event. What a marvelous setting.

The only event out here was a Monday morning meet-n-greet downtown, which is in the opposite direction of my commute. So I just made an effort to bike all 5 days this week.

8.   Overdue Update — The Bike Geek June 3, 2008 1:33 pm

[…] been really busy with BikeCommuters.com. Last month we attended the 2008 Urban Bike Commuter Expo, Long Beach Cyclists Bike to Work day and I rode the 2008 City Of Angels […]