G-Form Pads first impression

First of all, let’s get the mandatory ‘National Bike to Work Day’ Picture out of the way:

Now to the G-Form comfort pads. Let’s begin with addressing the hood pads – although I’m not built like Il Pirata, some of us like the aero position of our road bikes. So how did the hood pads perform? I like them. I found them very comfortable and they didn’t slip at all.

I didn’t need the saddle gel pads, but since they were part of the kit, I installed them on my saddle since I didn’t have anything to lose. How did they perform? I like them as well. They did add a little comfort to my derriere, specifically when I rode through bumpy rough terrain.

The shoe pads were a different story. I didn’t care for them. Although they were not uncomfortable, I had that sensation that they were not in the right place. Oh well.

Time will tell on the durability of the glue; I do share the same concern on how long they pads will stay stuck to the hoods and saddle.

1. Mike Myers May 16, 2008 10:06 pm

I’m not built like Il Pirata at all. More like The Thing. That being said, I spend a LOT more time in the drops now that my bars are up higher. That’s more aero. Much more. :-)

Of course, most drop bars have a steep ramp, which forces the rider to put more weight on his hands. I have Nitto Noodle bars on all my bikes, and they don’t have a steep ramp. They have a flat ramp, so that gives me an additional hand position.

So, Moe—do your hands hurt enough that these gel pads helped? If so, your position needs tweaking. Merckx himself didn’t run a position as aggressive as the average dentist does today.

2. Moe May 16, 2008 10:42 pm

My hands do get fatigued from riding on the hoods. I do try to switch hand positions but since I ride in traffic I rather have my hands close to the brakes. The pads helped with the discomfort of riding through the rough stuff, I don’t really feel that my position is really aggressive on the X-ray, if you look at the pics, the bars are almost at the same level as the saddle.

3. Mike Myers May 17, 2008 3:27 am

Looking at the picture I see that your position is still pretty aggressive—but your bar may be contributing to your hand fatigue. I’ve seen pictures of you, and you’re a thick, solid dude. How wide is your bar? I’m sure you know the “wide as your shoulders” rule for drop bars. Also, the ramp on your bar is very steep, which is forcing more weight onto your hands.

Take a look at the Nitto Noodle—-

Excellent pictures. See how flat the ramp is? Now look at your bar.

4. Ghost Rider May 17, 2008 4:16 am

I don’t think that X-ray is set up very aggressively at all…and the brake hoods are set even a little higher on the hook than I set mine up. Maybe Moe just has sensitive hands, or the roads in Cali are really rough?

5. Mike Myers May 17, 2008 5:43 am

And you weigh, what, 150 pounds, Jack? I think the bar on the X-ray is causing a lot of the hand problem. The ramp is way steep.

6. Ghost Rider May 17, 2008 7:19 am

I weigh 130…and am built like Fausto Coppi (without his skill or stamina) 😉

I totally agree with the recommendation for Noodle bars, though — they are very comfortable for long or short hauls, and they don’t look too obviously “retrogrouch”.

I still say Moe has sensitive hands…he’s a sensitive guy!

7. Lorna May 17, 2008 2:50 pm

I recently got a set of these brake hood overgrips and absolutely love them. They not only protect from the impact of going over rough spots, but also I notice they reduce the strain from squeezing on the sides of the brake hoods with my hands since they cushion the sides as well. I may not be as much as a purist as some of you, but I don’t see why having gel on the brake hoods isn’t a great idea. I already use gel bar tape, and there has never been a way before this to get gel on the hoods where I ride most of the time. I don’t see why this is any different than using cork tape on the handlebars, only gel seems to absorb shock much better than cork. For $12.99 for a pair, it seems like a much better option than changing around my entire riding position with new bars. Anyway, these have made a huge difference for me, and I have not had any problem with them coming off or moving around. I can’t speak for the gel saddle kit as I have not tried that yet.