Well, I feel like a dork. Why? I took my first spill today. I was riding back from picking up my lunch when I heard a big truck breathing down my neck, so I got a little closer to the gutter so he can pass me… Well, he didn’t so I assumed that he was going to turn onto the next driveway, as I accelerated, I got too close to the driveway, and the ‘lip of death’ got me….

Yeah, you know, the little lip between the street and the driveway… I washed out, landed on my side and scraped my elbow.

Fortunately for me, my Banjo Brothers Panniers took the brunt of the fall. I’m OK, the bike’s OK but my ego is a little bruised…

1. Ghost Rider May 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Youch! Glad to hear that’s the only damage you got…those lips are dangerous!

2. thePig May 17, 2008 3:38 am

Must admit that I have been pretty lucky so far not to have any real stacks. I am sure my time will come.

There is a saying I have heard some cyclists use. There are only 2 types of cyclists, those that have fallen off, and those that are going to.

3. tad May 17, 2008 4:59 am

Everytime I hug a curve I get super paranoid about doing exactly what you did. Those little lips can spell disaster.
    Good thing you’re not seriously injured!

4. Justin May 17, 2008 9:41 am

Take the laaaaaaaane!

Glad you’re safe.

5. CO May 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Teachable moment Moe. The onus is on the truck driver to pass you safely, not on you to get outta the way. You move all the way over before he passes, then where do you go if he gets too close? Nothin’ more useless than the pavement on your left in that situation. Ride in the lane and stay in the lane. If it ain’t wide enough to share, don’t try to share it.

6. Moe May 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Teachable moment it was. One of the reasons I wanted the trucker to pass me was because I was riding really slow. It was about 90 degrees and I wasn’t about to pedal fast. There’s something spooky about drivers that like to ‘stalk’ you. They are so undecided that sometimes they just cut you off. Lesson learned.

7. Mike Myers May 18, 2008 5:57 am

Oh I really HATE curbs. There’s a section on my commute where my nice wide shoulder/defacto bike lane disappears and is replace with curb and sidewalk. I hate to be a scofflaw, but riding with 55mph traffic on one side and a curb on the other forces me onto the sidewalk. It’s not like it’s good for the cars, either. Where are they supposed to go if they have a blowout? Right into the 4 inch curb at speed, that’s where. If they have a mechanical failure they can’t get out of traffic, either. They are a totally stupid design feature. It seems like whoever mandated them didn’t think things through.

8. Ghost Rider May 18, 2008 9:24 am

Mike, nothing scofflaw about riding briefly on the sidewalk…in Florida, that’s perfectly legal (albeit silly for all but the most dangerous stretches of roadway).

9. Nord May 19, 2008 6:30 am

Glad to hear you’re alright, Moe. I’ve gone down more times than I care to admit…