Urban Commuter Expo: Nice Pannier!

We met a nice fella at the expo that showed us his nice home made panniers. It’s a wonderful idea that doesn’t cost more than a bucket of detergent.

He basically took some old detergent buckets (rectangular shaped) and cut the handles bent them and latched it onto the rack.

The lip of the bucket keeps them secure.

The owner said that its pretty easy to remove but it won’t come off when he’s got load in it.

We thought it was a pretty brilliant idea…and he recycled his trash. We even joked with him about painting it to match his bike and get some bullet hole stickers on the side to add some character.

1. thePig May 19, 2008 10:09 am

Buckets as panniers….the possibilities. I wonder how much beer I could fit in those :-)

2. Moe May 19, 2008 10:36 am

Funny… I had asked the same question, our guess is about a case of Fat Tire Ale…

3. cafn8 May 19, 2008 10:47 am

Great re-use of old junk. I love it.

I wonder how the bike would handle when the ice on the beer starts to melt.

4. RL Policar May 19, 2008 10:49 am

Well then you have yourself a cooler! I even told the guy he should add a spigot on it and fill it up with some sort of beverage….

5. Ghost Rider May 19, 2008 10:51 am

You guys know about Cobbworks, don’t you?

They sell square bucket panniers made out of recycled oyster buckets…but unlike the above guy’s homemade jobs, the Cobbworks ones are $80!!! Holy cow!

6. climbinskier May 19, 2008 12:57 pm

Maybe I’m missing it, but how does the lip of the bucket keep them secure against the rack. It seems to me that if you come across any moderately bumping riding the buckets could bounce right off.

7. RL Policar May 19, 2008 1:09 pm

If you look at the handles, the hook to the rack below the lip. So the lip sits on top of the rack…its basically pinching the rack.

8. Clancy May 19, 2008 1:11 pm

Google “bucket pannier” . Comes up with several DIY’s.

9. climbinskier May 19, 2008 2:43 pm

RL – That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. Thanks

10. GANESHA May 20, 2008 10:18 am

11. doug sullivan May 21, 2008 2:03 pm

The rectangular buckets are the same ones that Costco uses for their Kirkland brand laundry detergent. I’m not sure if they will work with my disc brakes but it’s worth a try.

12. Rapps June 15, 2008 6:50 pm

I found a web site with kitty litter buckets upcycled into panniers. I can fit 1.5 bags of food/shoppping into each. Very cool, everything dry as I use the lids too.

13. Riderbax September 7, 2008 7:49 am

And another thing, when you have to change a flat, you can take the bucket(s) off and you instantly have a chair to sit on or when the train is full, you will have a spot to sit besides the floor! I’ve been making my own for years now. They are a great alternative to the messenger bag.

14. Rod September 18, 2008 8:13 pm

if you wanted to dress them up you could sew up a cover from some stretch fabric with an elastic top.