Guest Article: Commuting for Fitness by Doug Sullivan

We met Doug at the Urban Commuter Expo. Super cool guy and we told him about Guest Articles. The fella is quick, he sent me his article on Monday morning. Enjoy!

We all should know that fitness needs to be a daily part of life. Did you know that low intensity high frequency exercise benefits our bodies the most? Cycling to work, school or any daily errands can accomplish this.

Regular physical activity and/or exercise decreases mortality, improves cardiovascular and respiratory function, reduces coronary heart disease risk factors, lowers the risk of colon cancer, improves immune function, and enhances a sense of well-being. After giving up smoking, becoming more physically active may be the best thing you can do for your health.

Although many people enthusiastically begin exercise programs at one time or another, only 50% sustain their participation for more than six months. We ALL need to commute. Cycling could sustain your continuous participation in exercise.

In 1992, the American Heart Association (AHA) officially named physical inactivity — not lack of exercise — as a major independent risk factor for heart disease. In many ways cycling could be considered your best defense against physical inactivity.

The Surgeon General has recommended that all Americans over the age of two years accumulate at least 30 minutes of physical activity, of at least moderate intensity, on most, preferably all, days of the week. Three 10-minute or two 15-minute bouts of exercise yield cardio-respiratory fitness gains comparable to those from one continuous 30-minute session of equal intensity.

Consider the benefits of using bike commuting as your basic means of transportation and you will realize it’s a health issue. You are NOT leasing your body, nor will you be trading it in for the latest model. You CAN upgrade, and modify the engine to keep you on the road longer and in the fast lane. This can be done systematically and automatically in your daily life, as you keep riding your bicycle and for everyday occurrences. Choosing to expand or enhance your commute is matter of preference and/or your goals and needs. But in the long run bike commuting will ultimately improve you LIFE!

Live Strong,
Doug Sullivan,RN,AFAA
www.PasadenaHardcoreFitness.com

Do you have an article, review or a how-to that you want to share? Email it to us at info@bikecommuters.com

1. Iron Man May 21, 2008 6:53 am

Sadly the vast majority of the cyclists in my town can’t make the same connection between fitness and transportation. They drive to the place to ride their bikes. That means they only ride when they are able to carve out time in their day. That’s pretty sad.

And why is it the word mortality can mean the quality of being mortal and at the same time refer to the death of large numbers of people?

2. Ghost Rider May 21, 2008 7:02 am

My favorites are the folks who drive to the health club to work out…hello, you could have been exercising all along if you rode your bike to the gym!!!

3. roving_looney May 21, 2008 7:17 am

i use commuting on my bike to fix my blood-sugar problem.
    it also helps my blood circulation – a factor in heart disease – cuz my leg doesn’t fall asleep all the time!

4. db May 21, 2008 7:39 am

Can’t remember if I’ve posted this quote in here before or not. Apologies if it’s a repeat…

“Let’s have a minute’s silence for all those people who are sitting in traffic on the way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle.”
    — US Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)

5. Moe May 21, 2008 8:53 am

I’ve read articles about how to train for centuries (100 mile rides) , I rode my last century using my bike commute as my ‘training’ program. As most of you know, riding a bike to work regularly really whips you into shape, you can easily buy a decent used bike for what you pay for gym memberships.

6. Matth May 22, 2008 3:45 pm

I totally agree, it’s one of the major point I use when converting people to cycling (read preaching ;o). @db: haha best quote ever! Next article I wanna see: training with/for commuting. I’m sure some racing people can pitch in here :)

7. Mike Myers May 24, 2008 10:50 pm

Of course, the ideal solution is to to both bike commuting AND strength training. Riding your bike to the gym is a good idea. Cyclists need strength training to keep up bone density. But getting cyclists to lift weights is like herding cats…

8. Moe May 24, 2008 11:27 pm

Meow… weights are way too heavy!

9. One More Reason to Commute by Bike  | Bike Shop Hub July 22, 2010 4:46 pm

[…] campaign which many of our fellow bike commuting advocates have chosen to promote as well.  BikeCommuters.com as well as CommuteByBike.com have written informative articles discussing the health benefits of […]