Urban Bicycle Commuter Expo: Bucket Bike

It seems that Cargo bikes are becoming more popular amongst Bike Commuters, so when the people from Bucket Bike showed up at the Urban Bicycle Commuter Expo we were really excited to talk to them. We talked to Yonni Afman, one of the guys behind Bucket Bike. Here’s Yonni showcasing his personal Bucket Bike:

Yonni mentioned that there’s a container full of bikes coming from across the pond, so check out their site at www.bucketbike.com for updates.

1. Dominic Dougherty May 22, 2008 8:54 am

I was pretty unimpressed with this model. I watched a few people test ride it and none of them were able to turn around in the street because of the wide turning radius.

Looks like a fun bike for around a planned neighborhood or a sleepy beach community, but seems like it would be more hassle than it’s worth in an urban setting.

2. Jeff May 22, 2008 9:13 am

Hi. Please join the Bicycle to Work! LinkedIn networking group. Members pledge that they will try to ride their bicycle to work or on an errand at least once a week. Although the benefits should be obvious, let me outline them here.

Right now people in the industrialized world are facing two very grave problems: obesity and a growing scarcity of oil. Compounding this problem is the new food shortage brought about, in part, by the conversion of food cropland to bio-fuel crop production. Most people feel powerless to help, but there is one thing that we can do. Ride our bicycles to work.

If everyone would agree to ride their bikes to work one day per week we could cut oil consumption by as much as 10-15%. No one would argue that riding a bike burns more calories than driving the car. Although popular politically right now, most bio-fuels consume more energy than they produce. We would be much better to eat those bio-crops then use our own energy to transport us around.

So spread the word. Make it a movement! Bicycle to work one day a week and do your part to cut back obesity and the overuse of oil and precious cropland.

Just go to my profile at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffreylstevenson and you can click on the group to be included. While you are there, don’t forget to ask to link to my network of more than 9,000,000 like-minded professionals. I accept all invitations and look forward to meeting you.

Jeff

3. RL May 22, 2008 10:28 am

Big D.

I do agree with you about the practical use of the bucket bike in a busy street area. It is totally perfect for places like Irvine, Ca….wide streets. I wish I took the opportunity to test ride it…

4. Ghost Rider May 22, 2008 12:05 pm

Would the same wide turning radius problems also apply to other bakfiets models?

If so, folks in the Netherlands don’t seem to have mobility problems with them (but that BucketBike looks a LOT bigger than many of the other bakfietsen I’ve seen).

5. tad May 22, 2008 2:58 pm

If I ever want to wheelbarrow to work, I’ll get one of the these. And holy crap they’re expensive. $3500?? I’d be much more likely to bolt on an xtracycle.

6. Dominic Dougherty May 26, 2008 9:55 pm

GR,

The bucket bike’s steering is limited by it’s design, the front wheels only have about a 50 degree arc in which they are able to turn and is obviously not able to lean into a corner; while a two-wheeled bakfiets/bilenky/longjohn is limited mainly by the balance of the rider.

With three wheels, one would also have to limit their speed so as not to risk dumping their bike on a corner.

7. DrMekon May 30, 2008 11:34 pm

The turning circle is an issue of the independent steering design – see the Nihola and DeRedding too. The limitation is that they’ve tried not to have the movement of the wheels take up too much space in the box.

However, the trike in the video is the BF18, which has box mounted wheels as far as I know. I am surprised people had trouble with the turning circle. I’ve not tried one, but I’ve tried another brand, and tight low speed turns were a doddle, you just had to adjust you hand position. The gitl in this Mindcaster’s bakfiets race video does it in the cone race: