Day6 Bicycles Dream First Impressions

We recently took delivery of the Day6 Bicycle 21speed Dream to review.
day6 bicycles

Wheel Base 51″
Weight Limit 250 pounds
Rider Size 5’4″ – 6’3″ Approximate
Rider Size 4’8″ – 5’7″ Approximate
Colors Cobalt Blue, Metallic Burgundy
MSRP $729

The Dream demo bike we have came with a very comfy SL seat/backrest combo.

The dream was able to accommodate a wee little lad like me, standing at a towering 5’7″ and all the way down to my 10 year old daughter who is right at my shoulders. The back rest is set up on a fully adjustable boom, which allows the rider to cater it to their needs and comfort level.

One of the neat things about the Dream was this built in storage compartment in the backrest. It’s big enough to fit your lock, bag, purse, some food and of course a patch kit. I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m sure my Chihuahua could fit in there!

A great upgradeable option for this bike is the ability to take on disc brakes. The frame has reinforced gussets to help improve with strength and long term durability.

Through out the weekend I rode the Dream around and its very comfy. I thought that the longer wheel base and angled fork would have make it weird to ride, but to my surprise it rode much like a regular bike. I really enjoyed the plush seat and back rest. I have to admit, its not everyday that I get to ride a recumbent so starting off the first few times can be a bit tricky. But I’m a smart cookie, so I quickly learned that I have to do more steering with my hips than the bars. In mountain biking there’s a simple rule you have to follow, anything below 8mph, you use the handle bars to steer. Anything over 8mph, you use your weight, same applies to the Day6.

What’s great about the Day6 is that you’re in this relaxed riding position, so there is no pressure on your hands or shoulders. When climbing a hill, I found that it to be easy, all I had to do was drop to an easy gear, push back against the seat/back rest and let the bike do its thing.

The last recumbent I rode was a Sun EZ. That bike was pretty scary going down hills and hitting speeds over 30mph. But the the Dream was stable all through out the ride, even over 30mph.

We’ll be testing the Day6 Dream in the next few weeks and stick around, we’re going to do something super exciting with this bike…Our friend Torger Sikveland, Sales Director of Day6 Bicycles has given us the OK to raffle this bike away. That’s right, after we’ve done our formal review, you can own this very bike! Sweet eh? Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to take good care of it so when the day comes that we have to ship it out to you, the bike will be in great shape. So make sure you come back for the review, but for more information about the Day6 Dream, just visit their website!

1. Bob Stites August 4, 2008 5:45 pm

Mine came today. After assembly, I took it out for a trial and found I was wobbling all over the road. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. RL August 4, 2008 8:33 pm

Bob,

You need to clarify what you’re saying, wobbling because your assembly job was poor, or that you lacked bike control?

If you lacked the control, you’ll have to learn how to use your hips to lean the bike left and right. Just remember, under 8mph, handle bars, over 8mph you lean with your hips.

3. Paul November 27, 2010 5:25 pm

My wife test drove the Day 6 Dream today on a 30 minute ride and reported that it was great. She had no problem with wobbling and that says a lot because she doesn’t exactly have a great sense of balance especially when it comes to riding bikes.

We have been looking for a bike that isn’t painful to her lower back to ride after 30 minutes and this bike seems to do the trick well.

She even said that she is actually able to peddle this bike up-hill better than her 24 speed comfort bike which is going to be retired soon I think even though it is only 2 years old.

4. K April 6, 2012 1:03 pm

I really like the bike seat. Iv a problem with my back n my bones so i cant sit on a regular bike seat thats hard n small. I realy feel that this seat will b good for me. Please tel me where to get it from n how much
    Is it for? Wats the name of this seat n of this can b mounted on a iron horse mountain bike? Plz contact me on komalriz@gmail.com. Thnx

5. J Strahan July 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Wobbling is normal for the first ride, the rake and trail of the Dream feels unstable to first time riders. Wait until you get used to it, usually by the 2nd or third ride, you won’t even remember the wobbles!

6. Raiyn July 22, 2012 8:58 pm

What’s with people dragging these YEARS dead posts back from the grave? We have ways of dealing with zombies……

7. Ghost Rider July 23, 2012 5:01 am

@Raiyn — why does that bother you so much? WE happen to love it…it means that people are Googling for the “goods”, or searching our archives.

8. DAY6DREAMER July 23, 2012 7:34 am

… Ya Rain, and who’s this “we” that you’re talking about. Last I check, you weren’t on the about us page.

9. Raiyn July 23, 2012 8:18 pm

While I’ll listen to Ghost, I have no time for shills

10. sylvester March 21, 2015 12:12 pm

Hello
    where can i buy this seat and back rest?