Moe’s new grocery gitter

In case you missed it, I was the lucky winner of an Xtracycle Freeradical. I won the Xtracycle Freeradical at the Urban Bicycle Commuter Expo, I’ve never won anything useful in my life, but this is the BIG exception.

I installed the Xtracycle Freeradical on my DiamondBack Transporter, the name just says it all. Today I had the chance to go grocery shopping, so I took the Transporter on its maiden voyage.

As I pulled into the driveway, I felt the stares right away. An older fellow approached me and marveled at my bike. He then went to tell me his story about being a paperboy and using a bike to distribute the newspapers.

I’ve ridden RL’s Xtracycle before, so I knew what to expect in terms of handling and how to balance a load.

I’m really stoked about my new grocery gitter, I’m looking forward to personalizing it.

Stay tuned for more Xtracycleness, we have more exciting stuff coming up soon.

1. Johnny May 29, 2008 7:06 am

Congrats! It looks really good on your particular bike, for sure! :)

2. db May 29, 2008 7:21 am

Man, what a great thing to win! That beats a T-shirt or coffee mug any day.

3. Ghost Rider May 29, 2008 7:42 am

Whoo hoo! That’s a nice-looking machine with quite a load on it (I spy some Negro Modelo). Also VERY nice to see you smiling for a change, Moe!

By the way, I’m putting MY Freeradical together as we “speak”…prepping the frame with linseed oil and giving the Snapdeck a couple extra coats of varnish to protect it from the elements.

4. cafn8 May 29, 2008 9:05 am

Noice! I’m so jealous. The case of Negra Modelo was the first thing I noticed too. Congrats. Enjoy it.

5. Jami May 29, 2008 9:11 am

I am beyond green with envy, I am ganrenous with envy. Congrats!

6. Moe May 29, 2008 10:22 am

Hard to believe that the case of Modelo was only 5 bucks more than a gallon of milk. I hope my kids get used to the beer on their cereal (j/k!)

7. Jeremy May 29, 2008 10:26 am

What a prize! Congrats, Moe.

8. RL Policar May 29, 2008 11:32 am

dude. Moe we have to go Xtra Cruisin’!

9. climbinskier May 29, 2008 12:41 pm

I think we all dream of winning something that cool (and useful).

db had it right when they said “beats a t-shirt or coffee mug any day”.

10. Moe May 29, 2008 1:31 pm

My chances of winning very pretty good. At the beginning, I only bought one ticket, but then, I bought 2 more, I figured that a $15 Xtracycle is a pretty good deal.

11. Justin May 29, 2008 4:57 pm

Any chance of a detailed “how to” and “what to expect” when assembling one of these guys? Or at least some pictures from the process?

12. russ roca May 29, 2008 5:05 pm

welcome to the xtracycle family :) it’s one of the greatest advancements in cycling ever!!!!

13. Moe May 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Justin, Jack is in the process of putting together his Freedradical “as we speak”. Stay tuned for the upcoming posts, we have a lot in store regarding the installation, use and customization of this awesome bike accessory.

14. leaf May 29, 2008 5:56 pm

I just acquired a big dummy (with xtracycle’s v-rack, snapdeck, and freeloaders), and it’s very nearly replaced my commute bike. The flexibility of taking a passenger, or getting groceries for an entire family without major planning, is a huge, huge win for bicycling.

The only problem is the larger wheelbase makes it more difficult to combine with public transportation (which is required for my commute, since there is no bike lane on the SF bay bridge): the length exceeds the specified limits for one of our commuter train lines, and using bus racks is out of the question.

If there were safe bike routes everywhere this wouldn’t be a problem, of course :-/

15. russ roca May 29, 2008 6:13 pm

leaf…have you tried putting it on the bike racks without the front wheel and securing it with a tie-down or bungee??

16. miz mo May 29, 2008 8:09 pm

I’m thinking about getting a FreeRadical even though I don’t have to tote home more than one grocery bag at a time, but I can’t think of a better way to make use of a bike I don’t currently ride and don’t want to sell.

I’m only medium-savvy with mechanical skills so I’d love it if the upcoming posts indicate the level of mechanical skill required for the installation steps.

17. Steve Furry May 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Congrats, Moe! I wanted that Free Radical too, but I only bought one ticket so the odds weren’t in my favor.

18. Ghost Rider May 29, 2008 8:58 pm

Miz Mo…I plan on doing a write-up of the Xtracycle build when I get mine up and running. It won’t be totally step-by-step, but it will give you and other readers a good indication of the tasks required to put it together.

So far, it looks like the easy part is attaching the FreeRad kit to the bike’s frame. The tricky stuff comes when stringing longer cables, adjusting derailleurs and brakes and figuring out just how much longer to make the chain. Some of those tasks might be better suited for the folks at your local bike shop if you’re not entirely sure of the procedures.