Not your Mama’s Long Haul Trucker

Awhile ago, I posted that Laura was painting her Surly Long Haul Trucker. Maybe a bit overdue (hey, it’s busy being an Eco-Friendly Bicycling Photographer!), but I finally got around to taking some snaps. She used a special sign paint that was to be pretty weather proof (it’s for signs after all).

The design is a very Japanese-esque vine with in simple black and white. She started with painters tape to do a rough outline of the lines and went in with a small brush to round out the vines and add the leaves.

I think it came out pretty killer!

She has a few more tricks up her sleeves for this bike, so stay tuned!

1. Ghost Rider June 21, 2008 7:31 pm

That looks really nice…it’s subtle and flows nicely around the tubes.

Is Laura taking commissions? I ask because I’ve got a bunch of bikes that need “prettying up”!

2. Mike Myers June 22, 2008 12:16 pm

I agree with Jack. The vine is a nice, subtle addition to the frame.

Your pics make everyone else’s here look like they’re taken with cell phones, Russ. It’s not fair. :-)

3. db June 23, 2008 7:00 am

That is a REALLY pretty frame.

4. Jami June 23, 2008 7:37 am

I would love to find out what kind of paint she used. Any way to find out?

NOT that I want to copy her design, I prefer sea-themes.

But that frame is kick-azz-spectacular!

5. Lance June 23, 2008 8:34 am

It’s called 1-Shot(her previous post). I believe its usually used for sign painting. Its really durable stuff.

LOVE the frame!

6. Ghost Rider June 23, 2008 8:49 am

Yep, 1 Shot: http://www.1shot.com/

It’s the industry standard for signpainters…expensive but easy to work with and super-durable.

7. Laura June 23, 2008 9:29 am

That’s the stuff. I picked it up off the pearl paint website: http://www.pearlpaint.com/shop~ocID~4999~parentID~4999~categoryID~40001.htm

I’d read a bunch of reviews about working with it and needing to thin it down, but I found that it worked great right out of the can. A little thick, but it helped me keep within my lines and not have my shapes running all over the place.

8. Lance June 23, 2008 11:46 am

Laura, thanks for the link. Painting the wife’s bike a bit and at least I know I’ll be using the right paint.

MORE importantly(to me at least :) ): Do you know when you’ll be producing headbadges for sale? I absolutely loved the owl you had on your blog and I’m sure there would be a large demand for them. Cyclists love their bike candy!

9. Laura June 23, 2008 12:10 pm

Hey Lance, you beat me to the punch! Finishing up one for Russ and for myself this week… so stay tuned. (But, if you have an idea, I’m all ears.) :)

10. Lance June 23, 2008 1:23 pm

OOH boy! I already have a design in mind, but I’ll wait for the details before I hound you. This is great news!

11. Kristen July 18, 2008 11:15 am

Laura- how do you like the long haul trucker? I think I am about to purchase one… it is on the boat right now!