RL’s Grocery Gitter’

Projects tend to run like viruses here at BikeCommuters.com. It was Jack that first created his Grocery Gitter, then it was Moe. The common theme with these gitter’s is that they are equipped with some sort of Wald Product.

So after I drank the Kool-Aid, I decided to equip my beloved Redline 925 and out fit the thing to be my own “Grocery Gitter.” I started off with my mondo large basket, the Wald 157GB.

Then Priscilla and I rode over the grocery store to get some food for our lunch. I also brought the Banjo Brothers Market Pannier.
banjo brothers market pannier
got some melons…

Once we were done, we packed up the Pannier, and the basket.

I had a case of water bottles and Top Ramen on the front basket.

Here’s how it looked when I was riding it.

The front load make it a bit tricky to maneuver the bike around, but as long as I had my elbows out and gripped the bars on the ends, then I had no issues with balancing. Once I got moving, it was easier to ride the bike.

1. Moe July 21, 2008 11:58 am

What? No beer?

2. Ghost Rider July 21, 2008 11:58 am

That is a massive basket!

Still with the water bottles, eh? Well, I hope that you’re recycling them! That’s something else I’ve been doing with my grocery-gitter — riding around town and picking up recyclables from the streets and lawns in my area and getting them into blue bins rather than littering our community.

3. RL Policar July 21, 2008 12:02 pm

Yea we still get bottles. We’re in the market for some sort of Reverse Osmosis filter.

4. Ghost Rider July 21, 2008 12:33 pm

R.O. filters leach formaldehyde into the water. Yuck.

5. Ben C July 21, 2008 12:49 pm

Where’s the HELMET?!!

6. RL July 21, 2008 1:04 pm

I didn’t wear it for the photo…

7. Paul July 21, 2008 1:22 pm

I have a similar setup (with the Wald 157GB). I once brought home 50 lb of cat litter in it. That was a bit wobbly 😉
    I wish I could install it in a lower position, closer to the front wheel. Has anyone tried any modifications?

8. tadster July 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Nice gitter! :) That big basket in the front is awesome.

I highly recommend the Wald folding baskets that Moe has on his bike. I have a pair and I really love them (definitely use plastic zip ties to really secure the baskets to the rack).

By the way, this Bell Strapper net is great for covering baskets, try ’em out!
    (link points to amazon.com product description)

9. Rapps July 22, 2008 1:57 pm

I wanted a http://www.cetmarack.com but am short on cash so I built my own. Was more work than I had expected. I’ll send a picture to Jack to post of it. The lower center of gravity is better, but still the weight is not as good as hanging next to the front tires. I can strap a basket or what ever to it and remove it when I don’t need it.

10. RL July 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Being a 700c wheel, that basket was sitting about 1/2 an inch from my front tire. I don’t know how much lower I could have gone…

11. Paul July 23, 2008 12:39 am

@RL: I have a big frame (62cm) and even if I have the handle bars in the lowest possible position there is plenty of room above the front wheel.
    I’m thinging of constructing some custom clamps.

12. 2whls3spds July 23, 2008 5:01 am

Grocery gitters rock!

Here is link to mine

I use a removable front basket for browsing the local farmers’ market.

I am also on the waiting list for an xtraccyle conversion. One can’t have too many utility bikes!

Aaron

13. Ghost Rider July 23, 2008 5:22 am

Sweet grocery-gitter…it’s Euro-Chic!

14. 2whls3spds July 24, 2008 2:16 am

Thanks Ghost Rider, that one is actually up for sale. I plan to use my Redline R530 as a replacement…once I get my new front hub for it.

I am also looking towards a bakfiets, but that is a ways down the road.

Aaron

15. Ghost Rider July 24, 2008 3:43 am

What sort of new front hub are you getting for the R530? Something drum-brake free?

16. 2whls3spds July 24, 2008 4:47 pm

Nope Roller brake with the generator….just trying to source one from across the pond. Shimano USA played dumb with my LBS and claimed the number didn’t exist. They use them on the bakfiets, Azor’s, etc. So I know they are available, just not to the colonies.

Aaron