In search of a new lid

I’ve been using the same helmet for commuting:

Mountain Biking,

and road cycling,

There’s nothing wrong with my current helmet, but I would like a less ‘racy’ looking helmet for commuting. High in my priority list is ventilation, then price. I don’t really care for the Bell City or Bell Metro.

Any suggestions?

Tagged:

1. Ben July 24, 2008 5:09 pm

People have more than one helmet??!!

2. Rick July 24, 2008 5:15 pm

I have a Giro Indicator and I am never mistaken for a racer. Of course, that probably has little to do with the helmet.

3. 2whls3spds July 24, 2008 6:15 pm

Whatever is on sale at the LBS… 😀

Aaron

4. Ghost Rider July 24, 2008 6:16 pm

What’s wrong with a racy helmet? And what happened to your celeste/white Giro Monza?

5. Moe July 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Well, picture me with my racy helmet riding the Swobo Folsom or a beach cruiser…

The Giro Monza is now my road riding helmet, the Shain (my current one) will become my MTB helmet.

6. Ghost Rider July 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Well, if you put it in that perspective, I suggest one of those skateboard-style brain buckets. Except they don’t ventilate that well…

7. Alyssa July 24, 2008 7:44 pm

I have a question that’s not directly relevant to this post… I was reading back looking for mention of clipless pedal adapters that attach a platform to clipless pedals and allow you to ride with regular shoes. Can anybody tell me more about these and whether they’re any good?

8. Colin July 24, 2008 7:47 pm

Frankly I think you should just stick with the one helmet as it looks fine. Oh and don’t get one of those skateboard/BMX brain buckets, no ventilation and you look like a crash test dummy.

That said you could go for a more mountain bike style helmet that would both serve you better on the trails and not look so racy. I really like my Giro Hex that I wear commuting:

9. Moe July 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Alyssa, I’ve ridden with those plastic platforms on and off road. I’ve been told that I’m not supposed to ride with them because they are just for ‘demo’ purposes, but I haven’t had any issues with them. Although, I highly recommend pedals that are SPD on one side and platform on the other.

10. meli July 25, 2008 12:01 am

ive used the bell Ghisallo for a while. fits the top of my head nicely, and high-ventilation. I have it in black, with a few flower on and off for decoration. depends on my mood. comfy Id say and very light.

11. Palm Beach Bike Tours July 25, 2008 9:40 am

Once a year or so, I buy a new helmet. Usually, the inside padding is shredded, rotted or otherwise damaged which is why the replacement is needed.

As with Aaron, I tend to get whatever is cheap at the local bike shop. For head protection, they are all about the same. Occasionally, I’ll splurge for something with more holes but I don’t think I have ever spent more than about $45 for a helmet and most seem to be about $30 and change.

My last few helmets have been mountain bike style with the visor even though all my riding is on the road. I like the visor and fear sun.

I have enough trouble keeping track of one helmet — is it in the garage? back porch? car trunk? office? — I wouldn’t know what to do with more than one.

—Matt

12. Lance July 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Moe, if you want a helmet with lots of vents you’re probably stuck with “racey” ones. Racers need more vents so their helmets are naturally made with more.

The cheaper the helmet the less vents, as a general rule of thumb.

13. Moe July 25, 2008 3:25 pm

Matt, that’s why you need more than one helmet, so you can have one in the garage, back porch, car trunk and the office. :) I used to carry an extra helmet on my car at all times, it came in handy when I would forget my helmet at home or when a buddy of mine would forget theirs. I ended up giving that helmet to my brother-in-law since he didn’t own one and he started to ride his bike.

14. Carrie July 25, 2008 3:36 pm

I have one of those “brain buckets”. It does have some venting on top. It’s the first & only bike helmet I’ve ever had, so nothing to compare it to. I got it from http://www.nutcasehelmets.com – because I like geeky/hip designs.

15. Ghost Rider July 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Carrie, I love those Nutcase helmets (is there a BETTER name for a helmet manufacturer? I think not!). My neighbor has the 8-Ball model, and she never complains about the venting…

I need to get one of those Evel Kenieval-inspired ones to go with my Patriot singlespeed!

16. Moe July 25, 2008 5:57 pm

Does anyone own a Vigor helmet? I would like to hear some opinions about them…

17. PatagoniaCommunity July 25, 2008 10:25 pm

It’s nice to hear that people have good experiences with the less expensive helmets. I’ve used a Giro Encinal ($45-ish) for the past four years. It’s probably time to get a new one and it’s very tempting to go for one of the $100+ models but I’m just not sure they’re worth it. Yes, my faculties are worth a few extra dollars, but there are so many other places to spend the money I would save if I decide on a cheaper helmet.

Any flat-out bad experiences out there with sub-$80 helmets?

18. Ghost Rider July 26, 2008 3:57 am

Cheap helmets meet the same safety standards as the really expensive ones. In fact, it can be argued that the cheaper ones are actually safer…less venting can mean an overall stronger shell and fewer points of entry for debris or other potentially penetrating objects. There are other considerations, too. Check out the FAQ at the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute:

19. anthony July 26, 2008 7:44 am

I went with a Bern skateboard helmet. I don’t like the racy look or colors and I needed something that came in a large enough size (2XL) to accommodate my hair(dreads). It doesn’t have a whole lot of vents but I don’t think I’m that much more sweaty thn when I didn’t wear a helmet at all.