The Heat is ON for U.S. Bicycle Infrastructure

A friend just forwarded me a link to a resolution adopted by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, held in late June in Miami, Florida.

Exciting news…perhaps politicians will really start to get on board with this and realize that bicycling is one of many great solutions not only to ease traffic congestion on U.S. roads, but also as a solution to America’s obesity epidemic, general quality of life decline and other facets that we commuters all know and love about riding a bike.

Read the full text of this inspiring resolution by going to the U.S. Mayors Conference website.

What do you think about this? Are we really going to start seeing accelerated improvements on our streets? As always, we welcome your comments and thoughts.

1. Val August 7, 2008 4:00 pm

Well…it would be nice…but based on past experience and long standing political trends, I would recommend not holding one’s breath (unless actually under water).

2. Ghost Rider August 7, 2008 7:24 pm

It’s refreshing to see a large number of local politicians agreeing to support such infrastructure, though, don’t you think?

I sure don’t expect overnight improvements (I’ve worked for a variety of government agencies, so I know that they DO NOT operate in that way!), but this is a huge step in the right direction…especially if they back up their words with some deeds and initiative.

3. The Punisher August 8, 2008 2:56 am

Mayors have been caught smoking crack so it’s a wait and see in my mind.

4. Iron Man August 8, 2008 6:57 am

I think cycling has been beating the “fuel savings” drum a bit too much lately. While it’s true that we all save a significant amount of money by biking, we aren’t fixing the fuel problems of this world either. But when you add in less congestion on the streets, physical fitness and reduction in obesity, lower health care costs due to the added exercise, and the Holy Grail of simplifying our lives that so many pine for it gets harder to argue against the bike commute solution.

5. Ghost Rider August 8, 2008 7:56 am

I agree — that’s why I like the wording of this resolution. It doesn’t just focus on gas savings, but instead points out that bicycling can have a positive impact on many of our health and welfare concerns, too. Let’s hope these folks are serious about making some changes!

6. Crazy Commuting Cyclist August 8, 2008 12:37 pm

I beleive that even if you build it they will not come. Part of getting people to change their minds about something is education. Even then that will not change everyones mind. In conjuction to building or puting the resolution through to action, we need to show the people how eazy commuting on a bike is. And do it in a way that avoids beat them over the head with a lot of political or green baggage. I beleive by doing it that way we would have more people riding bikes than driving.

7. Ghost Rider August 8, 2008 1:23 pm

Good points. Just being out there, riding to work and talking to coworkers and friends is being an “ambassador”…and the more people see bike commuters out there and hear about how enjoyable it can be, the more likely they might be to try it.

But, the stumbling point for a lot of folks is the lack of comprehensive bicycle infrastructure. Why ride a bike when you’ve got no place to lock it up when you get to your destination? Why ride a bike when there is no signage, bike lanes, off-road multi-user paths or other features? Why ride a bike when your company doesn’t offer any incentives, shower facilities, secure storage areas and other “treats”?

The point is, education and advocacy goes hand- in- hand with the physical development of these infrastructural features. It’s got to be a complete and comprehensive plan in order to really work.

8. nfb.bicyclerevolution March 20, 2009 10:55 pm

“Why ride a bike when there is no signage, bike lanes, off-road multi-user paths or other features?” That’s the excuse so many people make when they claim it’s IMPOSSIBLE for them to commute by bike. We can’t keep adding more pavement (in width) to our road system, in an attempt to accommodate all users. We need to be able to SHARE the road, and new cyclists need to learn that operating a bicycle is only slightly different from operating an automobile. I believe all those facilities for bicycles are just ways to get bikes out of the way of motorists, and are making bicycling more dangerous, while lulling newbie riders into a false sense of safety. (Fine, I’ll come right out an say it: I agree with John Forrester!)

It would be nice if there were more places to lock bikes and more workplaces had showers, but I’m certainly not going to be stopped because those “treats ” are missing, and I’m doing my best to teach others how to overcome those inconveniences.