Minnehaha Bags — Retro Flavor and Serious Style!

Our friends from Banjo Brothers sent a little tidbit of information our way today. They’re announcing an offshoot company called The Minnehaha Bag Company which will specialize in classic (and classy!) canvas and leather bicycle bags.

These bags evoke many of the styling characteristics of classic bike bag makers such as Carradice, Gilles Berthoud and Ostrich…stout canvas and harness-leather strapping. Mmmm, it’s some good-looking stuff. Details are a bit sparse just now, but the Bikecommuters.com crew will get their dirty little hands on these bags when we meet with the Minnehaha crew at this year’s Interbike. Stay tuned for more details…and in the meantime, feast your eyes on these beauties:

Small Saddlebag:
small bag

Larger Saddlebag:
larger bag

Grocery pannier:

Traditional pannier:

Shoulder bag? (not sure what this one is…but that’s my guess; perhaps the folks from Minnehaha will chime in with some additional details):

Also, keep your eyes on the Minnehaha Bag Company website for additional details and more photos of these gorgeous bags.

1. Moe August 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Those bags are really cool AND affordable, I’m gonna have to get me a bike to go with them!

2. Russ Roca August 21, 2008 2:26 pm

You know I’m gonna want to get one!!!

3. Ghost Rider August 21, 2008 3:04 pm

YOu’re gonna need to build another randonneur!

By the way, Russ, your Epicurian Cyclist got a nod from none other than Velo Orange (I spotted the mention on their blog this morning).

4. Mike Myers August 21, 2008 3:18 pm

Good. It’s about time there are more choices besides Berthoud, Carradice, and Ostrich. I like traditionally styled bags. I will give the nod to Carradice because my Kendal panniers are traditionally styled but have modern mounting hardware. They snap on with cam-lock clamps up top. No straps. Easy on, easy off.

5. Ghost Rider August 21, 2008 3:38 pm

I would venture to say that the pricing on these Minnehaha bags is a lot easier to stomach for we “financially challenged” cyclists…but don’t quote me — Minnehaha didn’t share any pricing information with us yet.

6. Russ Roca August 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Ghost…yes, that was super cool to see it linked on the VO blog! Love that site…

I’m glad to see more makers as well of traditionally styled bike stuff…i’m really tired with all the techy-nylon/polyester stuff…they look real dated after a season…

Bags like Carradice (as they use to say about Campagnolo components) don’t “wear out” but they “wear in.”

7. Ghost Rider August 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Campagnolo still “wears in”…but after a couple years, the stuff is obsolete and not backwards-compatible. Ugh. 11-speed rears, anyone?

I totally agree with your feelings about traditionally-styled gear. It’s a classic, timeless look, and the materials used are legendary for their toughness and longevity.

8. meli August 22, 2008 12:56 am

this is great news! would probably covet a bit more that ‘canvas messenger bag’ if they’d show what the inside looked like. Ive also been eyeing their ‘cycling backpack’ for a long time.

9. 2whls3spds August 22, 2008 11:17 am

Huge fan of wax coated canvas and leather bags here. I will be interested in seeing some of the Minnehaha bags up close. Another one that deserves mention is Acorn Bags I have a couple of Carradice bags and they have been well worth the money spent on them.

10. Mike August 22, 2008 12:14 pm

Guys and Gals – Mike here, from Banjo/Minnehaha.

Eric – posted an update on the shoulder bag (ie. – what it is/how it works) on our site here:

As far as the pricing – all the MSRPs are on the site and we enforce these prices via our dealers – meaning these will be the prices. Our goal is to let the shot make a fair profit, yet have the retails be commensurate with the value to the cyclist – another words – a good value.

Samples will be sent out to BikeCommuters prior to the show – so they will have a first-hand look at the quality/construction.

11. Ghost Rider August 22, 2008 12:34 pm

thanks for chiming in…as you can see by the comments above, we were “in over our heads” as far as being able to answer some of the questions that you addressed in YOUR comment. Thanks for that!

Looking forward to these exciting bags…

12. Mike Myers August 22, 2008 5:35 pm

I do like the shoulder bag. Surely it’s going to be more affordable than the Brooks Barbican bag—-which is just about $400!

I don’t think I can give up my Chrome Metro, though….

13. Ghost Rider August 22, 2008 5:56 pm

So, Mike, you’re one of those “seatbelt hipsters”, eh? And YOU gave me crap about my manpris!!!

Gotta say, though, that Chrome bags are the bomb. I’ll have to check out that Barbican — sounds like the bicycle equivalent of the “Birkin bag”.

14. Mike Myers August 22, 2008 6:37 pm

GR—it wasn’t the manpris(I wear knickers too) as much as it was the Crocs. :-)

I’ve been known to ride around town in hemp knickers, a wool jersey, and a Walz bag, with my Chrome bag on my bag. Big hit in Citrus County, I tell you.

15. Mike Myers August 22, 2008 6:42 pm

GR—err, that would be “Chrome bag on my BACK”. A bag on my bag would be ungainly.

The Barbican is surely a nice bag, but that’s WAY too expensive. I thought Chrome was expensive(so I bought mine used) but that’s just nuts.

16. User links about "bags" on iLinkShare August 26, 2008 5:15 am

[…] public links | iLinkShare 4 votesGently Down These Streams>> saved by mattmcq 1 days ago2 votesMinnehaha Bags — Retro Flavor and Serious Style!>> saved by ddennis 1 days ago4 votesFashionable Fridays: Fall Bags to Ponder>> saved by pskykosys 1 […]

17. Lars April 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Sorry, not a fan of Minnehaha bags. Looks retro, looks local (for a Twin Citian like me), but look at the tag: Made in China.

No thanks.

18. matt June 16, 2009 1:56 pm

I’ve got a Carradice. Believe me they “wear out”. Snaps pulled out of the canvas in less than a year. Looks beat to heck but I guess that’s kind of cool.

19. brian f September 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Minnehaha and Banjo Bros. bags are very well designed and built to last. I have two bags from Minnehaha and two from BB and I’ve been impressed with their design and construction details. Their customer service is smart and responsive as well.