KHS Flite 250 Update

Today was actually my first day to ride the KHS Flite 250 to work and I have to say…ready for this…”This has to be one of THE SMOOTHEST bikes I have ever ridden!”

Yeah, out of all the bikes I’ve commuted with, this one takes the cake. My main commuter bike is a Redline 925, steel. That thing is nice, but for some odd reason the KHS Flite 250 is just a smidge smoother. Perhaps it’s the combination of the steel frame and carbon fork that does the trick, or maybe the tires that are mounted on it. But whatever it is, this bike is something to write home about.

My route starts and ends me with a large hill. So that means I was able to see how well this baby climbs. Well, I wasn’t disappointed. In fact I’m a big fan of flat bar road bikes and because of the bars, I felt like I had more leverage to pump and pull in order to help me get up the hill.

I better stop now before I get carried away! But I’ll leave you with this bit of info, I like this bike. It’s smooth, shifts well, it’s fast and it’s strong. More to come about this bike in the next few weeks.

1. Mark Jones (UK) August 27, 2008 11:55 pm

I cant wait to ride these bikes. They are going to be selling in the UK next year. I want the 100

2. cafn8 August 28, 2008 6:10 am

Maybe the smoothness comes from the curved seat stays. Looks nice.

3. Mike C August 28, 2008 7:03 am

I got a IRO Rob Roy–steel, with the same kind of cruved seat stays–and set it up for commuting with a Nexus 8sp hub. Great commuter bike, much smoother than a Cannondale M800 built up into a commuter, stiffer than our steel Burley tandem. If the KHS is anything like the RR, and it sure sounds like it is, it makes for a wonderful commuting frame.

4. Ghost Rider August 28, 2008 7:13 am

I like that it’s made of steel — always a good choice for a frame material 😉

I wonder what the perceived benefit of a flat-bar road bike is to the companies who make them — Trek and a few others have been making these for years (before the riser-bar “fixie” phenomenon), but to me a flat bar takes away some of the comfort level for longer rides…unless barends or something are added. Is it that a flat bar configuration offers the rider a more “heads-up” view ?

No matter what, this is a fine-looking machine, and I’m glad to hear it is a joy to ride. It sure does LOOK fast!

5. Steve Furry August 28, 2008 9:30 am

RL, do you know how much the 250 weighs?

6. Moe August 28, 2008 9:41 am

The bike weighs 23.4 lbs

7. john the bicyclist August 29, 2008 9:50 am

I like the concept of a flat bar, but my hands get numb after a while in the same position. There’s gotta be something inbetween (do cowhorns take those road shifter/brake lever combos)?

8. RL Policar August 29, 2008 11:04 am

John,

I mountain bike so the flat bars are great for me. What I don’t like about regular drop bars is the width of them. I like to have my arms wider, I feel like I have better control and leverage. If they get worn, then a pair of inexpensive bar ends would help.

I’m sure if you can find bull horns that has the same diameter as regular mtn bike bars you should be fine. I think Nitto makes some.

9. Steve Furry August 29, 2008 11:03 pm

I like the idea of the carbon fiber fork to cut down on the weight and smoothing out the ride, but how strong are they? I guess I want to know how easily they can be damaged.

10. Moe August 30, 2008 9:39 am

The biggest difference is the frame; yours is aluminum and the 08 Flite 250 is steel.