An Xtracycle is very practical!

This morning Priscilla wanted to ride her bike to work, but knowing that our daughter needed to be picked up after school, she went opted to ride the Xtracycle since she can carry extra passengers as well as bags and what not.

Before she left, I busted out the camera and snapped a few shots of her getting ready to go. I don’t know if you noticed, but I’m running a steel rigid fork now. I used to have a 100mm Marzocchi fork since I would occasionally use the Xtracycle as a mountain bike. But since the beast hasn’t seen much dirt, I figured the new fork would be a better fit for the bike.

I filled up her commuter mug and had it ready for her to take to work.

Got the bags ready to go.

Putting the helmet on.

And she’s off to work!

I loved this photo…in a sea of cars, she’s the only bike on the road…sad, but cool in its own way.

I had to throw this one in…

1. Bob September 9, 2008 9:00 am

I use a Trek 4500 mountain for grocery shopping and thought about converting it to an Xtracycle. The next time I encounter one, I need to ask it’s owner about taking it for spin to see if I like how it handles.

2. RL Policar September 9, 2008 9:03 am

Go ahead and get it. Moe, Jack and I all have one, we love it!

Anyone else want to chime in?

3. Ghost Rider September 9, 2008 9:10 am

Bob, pull the trigger — you won’t regret it. Without a load, it handles just like the bike you’re already familiar with…a little longer, to be sure, but also a bit smoother over rough roads.

With a load, it feels a bit different, but nowhere near as extreme as folks might think. I’ll just say that the learning curve with a heavy load took me about 5 minutes to overcome…it’s that easy!

4. meli September 9, 2008 9:31 am

super nice ride!
    looks very comfy too – specially loving the coffee mug-holder, of course.

5. siouxgeonz September 9, 2008 9:43 am

Bob… if you get it NOW, you’ll still wonder why you waited that long :)

6. Ben C September 9, 2008 9:56 am

I saw Priscilla this morning on the way to work. I did say hello from the opposite side of the street.

7. Palm Beach Bike Tours September 9, 2008 11:30 am

How does she maintain her modesty with a skirt that short on a bicycle?

(Not that I’m complaining…)

8. RL September 9, 2008 11:31 am

It’s a skort….

9. Ghost Rider September 9, 2008 11:51 am

With a skirt (or skort) that short, at least motorists will notice her!

I might try that — riding around in short-shorts or a man-thong so that motorists HAVE to notice me. What do you think?

10. RL September 9, 2008 11:53 am

I vote for a banana hammock!

11. Priscilla September 9, 2008 11:59 am

Yes, the skort is actually made specifically for exercising. There is a nice comfy short underneath the stretchy skirt. And it’s made with a nice whicking material. I love it. I hate being limited to shorts and pants for bike riding!
    I want a picture of that GR! That’s hot. ;D

12. chiggins September 9, 2008 1:03 pm

Bob, trust all of the “yeas” and I’ll throw mine in too. If you convert your bike, and it doesn’t put an ear-to-ear grin on your face, I’ll eat a bug. If it doesn’t become an indispensable part of your stable after two weeks, I’ll eat two bugs.

Ghost Rider: perhaps a skilt?

13. Priscilla September 9, 2008 2:59 pm

Keep us updated Bob. There’s a slim chance you make not like the feel of the xtracycle – and in that case I’d like to see a pic of “chiggins” eating bugs too. lol.

14. Ghost Rider September 9, 2008 3:28 pm

I’ll sweeten the pot — if you get an Xtra and don’t absolutely love it…and can articulate exactly why (just saying “I don’t like it” won’t be enough), I’ll ride my bike down the street wearing the world’s most uncomfortable sequined “man thong” and get my wife to take a photo for posterity. How does that sound?

15. Bob September 9, 2008 5:30 pm

OK!! I think I have a new project to start on. I have to admit I like the idea of an Xtacycle over a trailer and what I have seen they are by far more versatile.

16. twodeadpoets September 9, 2008 5:46 pm

I’ve been drooling over the Extracycle for sometime now but out of my three bikes, the only one I could see converting would be my Bianchi Superbee MTB. The only issue though is that it has a funky chainstay bridge and I’m not sure the Extracycle would work with my setup. My bike can be seen on my Picasa ( The only other option would be to commandeer my son’s Kona Lian’i MTB. Anyone care to comment?

17. Ghost Rider September 9, 2008 6:00 pm

I don’t think you’ll have a problem with that bridge. If you do order an Xtracycle, get an extra chainstay plate (Xtra calls it a “FAP”). That way, you can “sandwich” the bridge with one long bolt rather than trying to pass the bolt in front of or behind the bridge.

A little bit depends on how wide the chainstay separation is at that point — the FAP is only about 3″ long. A little creativity should eliminate any hassles, though.

Val, you out there? What do you think about this?

18. chiggins September 10, 2008 8:55 am

Free advice from limited experience:

Oo, that is a strange bridge.

I’ve built up a Karate Monkey, which had no chainstay bridge, with the two FAPs like GR mentioned above. It works great, but the chainstays are more conventional than that Bianchi’s is.

Here’s a pdf of the manual so you can see how the FreeRadical extension mounts to the frame.

With that Bianchi, I’d be concerned that:

1. the tongue of the FreeRadical would be too long or far forward to make use the open area behind the bridges

2. the FAP plates wouldn’t be wide enough to span the available open area.

If I knew someone with access to a machine shop, I’d be tempted to bring the stock FAP and the frame to see if something could be easily fabricated.

On the other hand, the Lana’i looks like it’d be a no-muss no-fuss conversion, and a solid platform to boot?

19. Ghost Rider September 10, 2008 9:09 am

Chiggins, you just might be right, upon reconsideration…that chainstay separation looks too wide for anything but a custom-sized FAP. Easy enough to make one out of steel or thick aluminum plate, though.

20. Val September 10, 2008 12:42 pm

What Ghost Rider said – I ran into a similar situation with a Redline Monocog 29er recently. Extremely wide chainstay gap, and no bridge, all of which is great for tire clearance, but requires some imagination when installing a FreeRadical. I took a leftover piece of roof rack rail (thick walled square steel tubing that conveniently has plastic coating bonded onto the outside), and split it lengthwise to produce two U shaped channels. If he rides it in to work again soon, I’ll post a picture.

21. RL Policar September 10, 2008 7:26 pm

David S.

I made that handle bar by using an old beach cruiser bar that I cut down. I then used a super long stem and a shim to make it fit onto my seat post.