Xtracycle: It’s Simply Awesome

You may have noticed we’re big fans of Xtracycle at BikeCommuters.com. Well, we are…but it’s not because we’re getting anything out of it. We just love their products so much that we feel compelled to tell everyone about it. Out of the BikeCommuters crew, I was the first one to get an Xtra and for years I’ve told Moe how much I love this thing. Wait a minute, I think Russ Roca might have been riding his Xtracycle before I have since he was using it for his photography business. But anyhow, my family absolutely loves my Xtracycle. My youngest daughter looks forward to getting a ride to school on her personal bike limo. She loves the attention she gets from her classmates as well as other kids in the school when they see her roll up in style.

Priscilla and I really dig the Xtracycle just for its practicality. Whenever we do any type of family picnic or bike ride, I’ll load up the bike with all of our stuff and haul it to our destination. We use this thing all the time to do groceries, errands and to pick up the kids from school. But one of the more fun things we’ve done with the Xtracycle was doing a bit of surfing with it.

Obviously I’m too heavy to try and surf, but Priscilla gave it a go and she was a natural at it.
xtracycle surfing
So all in all, I’m basically saying that you should get an Xtracycle right away. You won’t regret it; actually I’ve NEVER met anyone that regretted buying their Xtracycle…

1. Ian September 14, 2008 9:51 pm

I’ve had my X built up on a Rans Street for almost two months now. And there is some regret.

I regret not using it far more than I have so far, which hasn’t been nearly enough.

Otherwise, I love the durn thing.

2. Shek September 15, 2008 5:52 am

I am buying the Radish as soon as I sell my car.

3. bikingbristol September 15, 2008 8:10 am

I am looking…. but still wondering

4. Iron Man September 15, 2008 8:55 am

:…but it’s not because we’re getting anything out of it.”

Er uh, well the first ad in your sponsor list is Xtracycle. But I don’t doubt your passion for the product. I worked in a ski shop in college and had no trouble selling—perhaps even pushing—certain brands because they were so exceptional. So I don’t mind the heavy emphasis when there is genuine passion behind it. I have an old KHS hardtail that is just begging for a new life as an Xtra conversion.

5. RL September 15, 2008 9:02 am

To explain that, we worked out a special deal with Xtracycle.

6. bikingbristol September 16, 2008 5:48 am

Nice deal. I’d put in an ad

7. Val September 16, 2008 9:20 am

RL: who says you’re too big to surf? You know the bike can handle it…

8. RL September 16, 2008 9:21 am

Hi Val,

I’m too big meaning Priscilla can’t handle the bike while I’m trying to get up to stand.

By the way, you heading out to Interbike?

9. princesshungry September 16, 2008 9:44 am

it’s almost impossible to find an xtracycle free radical on craigslist (but a friend found one for me!) because people love them so much.

10. Bob September 16, 2008 10:21 am

An Xtracycle is now in the early process of becoming my winter project. I got a close up look at two Xtracycles when I was at REI in downtown Portland this weekend, but could not locate the one of the owners. I waited for a while but needed to leave.

This early process is fun, but sucks too. Do I build my bike from an existing bike or step up and purchasing a frame from Surly? Too many decisions, but oh what fun!!

11. burnhamish September 16, 2008 10:51 am

I am targeting next spring to get a Free Radical kit for my Specialized Rock Combo. The only original parts left are the frame, fork, and crankset. I would like to ride it in the 2009 RAGBRAI. Would they sponsor me?

12. Ghost Rider September 16, 2008 11:24 am

Who? Specialized or Xtracycle? You could always ask them…

13. Val September 17, 2008 9:40 am

RL: As usual, I’ll be holding down the fort at SBS while (almost) everyone else frolics in Vegas. Have fun, and don’t forget to say hi to Tim!

14. RL Policar September 17, 2008 9:41 am

That’s a bummer Val. I’ll send my regards to Tim and Gork. We’re actually meeting with Tim on Wednesday.

15. photography home business January 15, 2010 1:19 am

Fine Ideas, but do you have more detailed info on the topic, another blog or links to other websites too.