Flip That Bike! PUCH Road Bike

On this installment of Flip That Bike, I acquired a gem of a find, its a PUCH road bike. I honestly haven’t gone through to check the model name since I picked it up this afternoon during my lunch break.

I do know this, it has a Campy headset, Dura Ace front Der, Shimano 600 (Ultegra in essence) crankset, I think its an Exage rear der.
puch

Check out the droputs…its stamped with something…

I don’t want to say what I paid for this bike yet, but basically it was great deal since it already has NEW tires, NEW cables and housing…brake and der and it was already tuned up. I could sell it as is and make a good profit. But I considered converting it to a Flat Bar road bike since it has those goofy cut off bars. I would imagine the flat bars would help in the resale value. Or I could just get another set of drop bars for another $20 and tack that on to the final sale price.

1. tadster September 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Your new bike looks real nice except for those god awful bars. They are atrocious! Not to mention you’d have to reach a mile for those brake levers.
    I suppose you could rescue the bars by chopping off another inch on each side and installing proper levers (for cowhorns).

2. Raiyn September 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Wow, at first glance I was thinking – “those are some serious DUI bars” after looking at again I can see some hipster dipshizzle had a go at the drop bars. $20 fix for some real drops seems reasonable considering the rest seems solid.

3. Ghost Rider September 17, 2008 3:12 am

Yeah, that’s a flop without the chop! Put proper drops on there or do like Tadster says and hook it up with cowhorns and TT levers, and it will be a winner.

Puchs are nice bikes, generally, and that one looks especially nice. Do the dropouts say “Gipiemme”?

4. Dman September 17, 2008 4:23 am

looking at the last picture, it looks like the saddle rails are bent.

Cool looking bike though!

5. cafn8 September 17, 2008 6:16 am

Here’s another vote for just vote for just replacing those bars with an unmolested set of drop bars.

The flop-and-chop job that was done to those bars doesn’t make it look like a fast bike, but not a slow one either. I’d say it looks very half-fast.

Nice bike, though.

6. Iron Man September 17, 2008 9:08 am

Puch has a rich history. Sort of half Indian motorcycles, half Schwinn. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puch#Legacy

btw, I had my first right hook encounter this morning. Six years plus without a single one. I realize this is a daily occurrence in a town like New York, but I’d never had one in my sleepy town. We must be growing. No injuries from it and her car was just out of reach for me to slam my hand on the trunk.

7. RL Policar September 17, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks Iron Man.

I used actually own a couple Puch Maxi Mopeds back in the day.

8. Ghost Rider September 17, 2008 9:17 am

So, what do the dropouts say? I’m waiting!

9. Bob September 17, 2008 9:54 am

You hinted at the dropouts, but left us waiting. I’m with GR on this. What does it say on the dropouts?

10. mercutio stencil September 17, 2008 12:31 pm

You know, I wonder if those bars were even chopped, just flopped instead. They look like they have most of the drop intact, just at a god-awful angle.

and for the record, shimano 600 is ultegra, rather than dura-ace

11. RL September 17, 2008 2:14 pm

Ok I just ran over to the LBS and got myself a set of drop bars for $20. I’ll check out the drop outs later tonight and see what they say.

Mercutio, thanks for the correction.

12. Dwainedibbly September 17, 2008 2:16 pm

Nice bike. Please note that Shimano 600 is equivalent to Ultegra, not Dura-Ace. Still, it’s very nice.

13. Ghost Rider September 17, 2008 4:17 pm

600 was some pretty nice stuff back in the day. With the exception of the rear derailleur, I’d say that the rest of the parts are pretty nice, too.

My money’s on “Patent Gipiemme” or the reverse. Gipiemme was every bit as good as Campagnolo — and in some cases, the finish was better! Their dropouts were nothing to sneeze at — hard chroming and nice shapes. Check the fork tips, too, to see if there’s any stampings on them.

14. RL Policar September 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Jack,

“Patent Gipiemme” is correct for the rear drops, I’ll check the fork when I get home.

15. RL September 17, 2008 8:23 pm

Jack,

I checked the fork and no stamp on the drop.

16. Ghost Rider September 18, 2008 3:16 am

That’s ok…they’re probably Gipiemmes.

Does the bike fit you? If so, you should keep it. It’s a damn nice bike. Good tubing, nice lugwork, classic geo. Yummy!

It looks to me like the headset is C-Record, too.

17. tavis September 18, 2008 11:28 am

Are the bars actually cut? Some of the early TT and pursuit bikes used bars that looked pretty similar to that. Do a little research before you chuck ’em. They could be a collectors item.

18. LJP October 1, 2008 11:51 am

Everyone is capping on those bars. I see those bars on bikes where I live. If you have a hacksaw you can make them. If you got dough you can buy em just like that. Everyone knows that. It’s cool to not be like everyone else and do what is normal and what everyone else does. The bike sells for what you want wacky bars and all. Could have saved your 20.00 and the labor.

19. koldfushen December 13, 2008 6:33 pm

can’t comment on the bars, but those are GPM drop outs and the frame was made by Bianchi of Italy in about 1986.

20. Erik July 7, 2009 3:09 pm

I have that same frame and was wondering what year it was made and any other info you might know

21. D2 November 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Lots of comments on the handle bars. I used to have a Puch bike and their bars are wider than some. This pair is upside down from the original equipment and the brakes have been flipped correspondingly. The original bars give you a wider grip but don’t hang down so far.

22. D2 November 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Actually, the brakes aren’t flipped.

23. brezy January 19, 2010 11:15 pm

Just a bit more information about this bike. There was a cycle shop in Berkeley CA that had about a hundred of these Puch in 1989. I bought the step up from this one which had Champi Chorus components and Columbus SLX tubing. Mine is green and white. The red bikes originally had Athena components. I still have mine and am looking forward to bringing it back on the road. Great bikes.

24. J L Wise May 19, 2011 5:42 am

Just got a Puch bike from a friend. Trying to find out more about it (in English).Mine hasn’t been altered any, all original. The style didn’t change much ovr the years,so it’s hard to tell how old it is,but it looks like an American 60’s model.It’s in excellent shape.I don’t want to let the kids use it until I find out how hard it is to replace anything they damage.It’s the only one I’ve ever seen here in Iowa.