• Slide Image 1 Title | Welcome to D5 Smartia Theme, Visit D5 Creation for Details
    You can use D5 Smartia for Black and White looking Smart Blogging, Personal or Corporate Websites. This is a Sample Description and you can change these from Samrtia Options

• Slide Image 2 Title | Welcome to D5 Smartia Theme, Visit D5 Creation for Details

Interbike 2008: Nirve Bikes

Posted by: | Posted on: September 26, 2008

Yesterday I posted a picture of a Kona with downtube shifters, today, how about a Mixte!

The president of Nirve found an old Schwinn gathering dust in the garage and said to himself, why not make replicas of these bikes? We will be bringing you a video interview with Nirve explaining all the details on these bikes. Stay tuned!

www.flickr.com

7 Comments to Interbike 2008: Nirve Bikes

1. Ghost Rider says:

If I raise my hand first, does that mean I get to test one of those good-looking Fairfax or Wilshire models? I’ll be a good boy — I promise!

If the mixte has horizontal dropouts, it would make a dashing “fixte mixte”…and help dispel the American misconception that these are “chick bikes”.

2. MattG says:

Does anyone else worry that this passion for recreating old bikes will cheapen the experience of finding and restoring one?

3. Ghost Rider says:

MattG…I sure don’t worry about that. Even if outsiders can’t tell the difference between a retro-styled new bike and a restored old one, you’ll know in your heart what you went through to bring an old beauty back for a second life.

4. scott says:

I dig the new bikes styled after vintage models. But to whatever extent the resurgent interest in bicycling is tied to environmental concerns, recycling an old bike through restoration seems to have a slight edge over buying new.

5. Moe says:

I agree with you Scott, however, I’ve noticed that the Fixie Fad has claimed a lot of vintage frames being converted to fixies or singlespeeds. The question is, what will happen to all these bikes once the fixie craze is gone?

6. Ghost Rider says:

You know, I’ve wondered the same thing, especially all those “fixie conversion” frames where folks ground off the cable stops and downtube braze-ons. A lot of classic frames are getting butchered!

7. urb anwriter says:

they are steel frames; get a torch and put braze-on bit and bobs exactly where you want them… steel frames evolve