Interbike 2008: Nirve Bikes

Yesterday I posted a picture of a Kona with downtube shifters, today, how about a Mixte!

The president of Nirve found an old Schwinn gathering dust in the garage and said to himself, why not make replicas of these bikes? We will be bringing you a video interview with Nirve explaining all the details on these bikes. Stay tuned!

1. Ghost Rider September 26, 2008 8:27 am

If I raise my hand first, does that mean I get to test one of those good-looking Fairfax or Wilshire models? I’ll be a good boy — I promise!

If the mixte has horizontal dropouts, it would make a dashing “fixte mixte”…and help dispel the American misconception that these are “chick bikes”.

2. MattG September 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Does anyone else worry that this passion for recreating old bikes will cheapen the experience of finding and restoring one?

3. Ghost Rider September 26, 2008 7:15 pm

MattG…I sure don’t worry about that. Even if outsiders can’t tell the difference between a retro-styled new bike and a restored old one, you’ll know in your heart what you went through to bring an old beauty back for a second life.

4. scott September 29, 2008 1:27 pm

I dig the new bikes styled after vintage models. But to whatever extent the resurgent interest in bicycling is tied to environmental concerns, recycling an old bike through restoration seems to have a slight edge over buying new.

5. Moe September 29, 2008 3:01 pm

I agree with you Scott, however, I’ve noticed that the Fixie Fad has claimed a lot of vintage frames being converted to fixies or singlespeeds. The question is, what will happen to all these bikes once the fixie craze is gone?

6. Ghost Rider September 29, 2008 3:36 pm

You know, I’ve wondered the same thing, especially all those “fixie conversion” frames where folks ground off the cable stops and downtube braze-ons. A lot of classic frames are getting butchered!

7. urb anwriter October 13, 2008 12:46 pm

they are steel frames; get a torch and put braze-on bit and bobs exactly where you want them… steel frames evolve