Interbike 2008: My thoughts and experiences I

As you have seen, we took hundreds of pictures, hours of video (more to come) and talked to dozens of people. This year we didn’t do a lot of posting during the show, we figure we do the meet and greet the first two days and roam on our own on the last day. Here are some of the stuff that I came across:

There were e-bikes galore, but the interesting thing was that most of the bikes I saw had the same electric kit. The bike below has the batteries inside the motor-hub, but when I tried to pick it up it was extremely heavy.

I asked a few people what they thought of the ‘electric evolution’, most of them agreed that e-bikes have their place in the bike market, but they will definitely not rule the world.

White is the new black. We saw white bikes galore, white handlebars, grips, saddles, etc. We were schooled by Mr. Wayne D. from KHS bicycles regarding which colors sell most. He told us that the safest bike colors to sell are black, blue and red. He also told us that Orange is the color to stay away from. (Sorry Russ).

Since we are ‘working media’, we were allowed to attend Lance Armstrong’s press conference. This was a treat for me since I am a fan (don’t hate me LeMond fans), the press conference became really interesting with LeMond being there.

More thoughts and experiences later on.

1. Tomas October 1, 2008 10:48 am

I don’t understand the conversation about bike color. The safest color is black? Safe against traffic or theft? I think orange is a handsome and noticeable color. Why else would construction workers use it?

2. Moe October 1, 2008 10:53 am

I should have been more specific when writing about the bike colors, the conversation was regarding which bike colors sell the most.

3. Paul Rivers October 1, 2008 11:12 am

Maybe he was being sarcastic about black being the safest color and orange being bad??

4. Ghost Rider October 1, 2008 11:25 am

I’m sure this was in terms of “safe sales”, not safety in general. I’m on the fence about orange…it fits well with certain brands, but not with others. I particularly like Russ’s Bilenky, though — he chose a great hue for that one.

If that’s a 2009 Flite 100 in white…I WANT ONE!!! Can someone front me some cash?

5. RL October 1, 2008 7:02 pm

To all,

Wayne D. simply mean that more people buy black bikes than non-traditional colors like Moe mentioned.

I too found it interesting that there were so many electric bike companies out there. I’m not going to lie, electric bikes are pretty fun.

Lance A. was so close to me that I could have touched him…

6. Ghost Rider October 1, 2008 8:35 pm

And we all know Moe was close enough to LeMond that he could have backhanded him…and probably should have!

7. Nord October 2, 2008 12:37 pm

My LBS just picked up a distributorship for a crazy looking new e-bike made by UltraMotor. Seems pretty cool. You guys see anything about them out there?

8. Russ Roca October 2, 2008 1:02 pm

I can understand the rationale behind black. Everything goes well with it.

At the same time, I do appreciate some nice tastefully colored bikes…take for example the color (and future colors) of the LHT…the utilitarian blue and non-forest green (I wasn’t too hot on the red to be honest) were nice refreshing colors instead of the stand-by black and forest green that touring bikes get ….

i think i saw the photos of the 2009 LHT and it will be a sand/latte color (just like how I had mine painted :)…another nice color choice…