Flip that Bike! Follow up to the Puch

On the last installment of Flip that Bike, I showed you a gem of a find, a Puch road bike.

If you remember, this bike was pretty much ready to ride, it had new tires, cables/housing, and brake pads but it had some weird cut job on the handle bars that made it look goofy.

Luckily my only parts investment was to get a new handle bar at the cost of $20. I even reused the old bar tape, which saved me another $15. So here’s the final look of the bike with the new bars.

I just sold this bike last night for $300! My total investment was $95, total profit was $205! Not bad eh. So now I have set aside $100 from this sale, and will be on the look out for another bike I can flip.

1. Bob October 21, 2008 9:39 am

It looks like it was an easy flip, thus some easy money. Question is what are you going to do with the rest of the profit?

You can never have too many bike accessories. :-)

2. Tony Bullard October 21, 2008 10:37 am

Flipping bikes makes me feel the same way as flipping houses does.

I spent a long time going through garage sales and craigslist looking for an inexpensive road bike that I could fix up and use. I always had the haunting feeling that the good bikes were getting bought up by people who just wanted to flip them for profit.

3. RL Policar October 21, 2008 10:43 am

“Free market and all that, but just be sure you’re not taking what could be a cheap travel alternative away from someone.”

Mmmkay…so tell me, how would I do that?

4. RL Policar October 21, 2008 10:44 am

Bob, well to tell you the truth. The money I made from that sale helped finance my recent trip to to Yuma Az. My niece had her bday party and my brother and I did some spear fishing in the Colorado River.

5. Ghost Rider October 21, 2008 10:59 am

Tony, there will always be plenty of super-affordable “beater” bikes on Craigslist.

More power to anyone who takes an old bike, spruces it up and makes a little money reselling it!

6. Iron_Man October 21, 2008 11:10 am

Good going. I never seem to be around when a flip worthy bike is for sale. My buddies are, but by the time I show up at a flea market or such all that is left are rusted out Huffys or way overpriced rusted out Schwinns.

I’d rather buy a bike from RL than some schmoe that hasn’t a clue what they are doing (such as someone like me). If he looks it over, adds the right parts, and gives it the thumbs up you know it’s in good working order. Sorry Tony, but that comment just comes off as whiney.

7. RL Policar October 21, 2008 11:27 am

Iron Man,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. What I think Tony doesn’t realize that for all the bikes I have and will flip, I go through them like a fine tooth comb.

If there are parts in need of replacing, I swap them out. My mechanical abilities are pretty darn good if you ask me. In fact I also make extra money wrenching for people all the time. Plus, my experience at the shop gave me more training than the average shade tree mechanic.

Thanks again for the vote of confidence Dave.

Oh Tony, one more thing, I do remember seeing an old 70’s Nishiki road bike at a yard sale that I passed on. Not so much that I didn’t see it worth flipping, but it was because I already had my hands full with another project. Turns out my buddy Ben (BenC) ended up buying it for $20 and he and I fixed it up. Now it’s his commuter bike.

So in a sense I’m not some bike hoarding greedy person that likes to take away affordable transportation from people….

8. Jesus Christ October 21, 2008 11:45 am

Tony, your comment has pissed me off deeply you shall be banished to hell. Its not like he’s some power house painting felt logos on bikes and selling them way over priced by the hundreds. He gose through with the care you or me would put into our own bikes and sells them to people who can’t afford a $3000 trek but still want to commute. rock on RL! The lord gives you blessing on your flips.

9. Ghost Rider October 21, 2008 11:56 am

Well, if the big J.C. says it’s OK, then I’m sold!

By the way, what kind of bike does the Lord ride? Fixed-gear? Grocery getter? Tricked-out Pinarello? Something handmade by the genius Dario Pegoretti?

10. RL Policar October 21, 2008 11:57 am

Wow thanks Jesus! I’m going to get a shirt made that says…”Cuz’ Jesus said so…”

11. awgie October 21, 2008 12:06 pm

I had a vision of the messiah riding an xtracycle equipped serotta….I better go get lunch now.

12. Jesus Christ October 21, 2008 12:18 pm

Satan himself built me a custom fixed gear with don’t f#ck with Jesus, on the top tube its pretty much the shit. All I do is drop hammers! Ride or die for life, word. (I love bicycles)

Christ Out.

13. RL Policar October 21, 2008 12:24 pm

We should definitely do a commuter profile on you!

14. El Diablo October 21, 2008 1:11 pm

I will gladly accept Tony’s soul, only if you tell everyone the truth about your bike.

Yea, I built you that DFJ to try to toughen you up, but anyone in the spirit realm will tell you that JC can be seen most of the time on his Electra Townie, preaching his hippy peace bull shit.

15. Dominic Dougherty October 21, 2008 5:16 pm

If you’re going to profile Jesus, you have to profile my god to… though I don’t know if I’ve seen a bike with 300 pedals for all of the Flying Spaghetti Monsters noodley appendages.

What a score on that flip! It takes me weeks to flip a bike sometimes. Why are there so many flakes on CL?

16. RL Policar October 21, 2008 5:22 pm

Here’s what makes this flip even more interesting…yes more interesting than Jesus and Satan both commenting…the kid I sold it to had only one arm.

17. Iron Man October 22, 2008 6:08 am

One arm eh? There’s a guy that rides locally with one arm. I see him all the time in the MS. I want to ask him how he manages shifts and such, but don’t want to come off as an insensitive clod (not that I ever seem to avoid that, just ask my wife). I’m just inquisitive by nature though.

18. tadster October 22, 2008 8:57 am

I would’ve shortened those brake cable housings. 😉

nice flip. the old bars were atrocious.

19. Ghost Rider October 22, 2008 9:36 am

Tadster, you beat me to it…there’s some “bird catcher” action going on at the front of that bike.

20. AustinBikeBlog October 22, 2008 12:09 pm

Hmm… are you sure you should be posting about all the bikes you flip on your site, where it’s easily searchable? I like what you’re doing, but you never know, you might have a disgruntled customer or two show up at your door if you keep it up.

“you made how much on this bike!?” hehe… ah well. I know this happens in Austin pretty darn often.

21. RL Policar October 22, 2008 12:13 pm

I’m not too worried. I actually had one of my previous customers see the posting.

You see what people realize is that I’ve reconditioned the bikes I sell and are mechanically sound. Sure I could sell the bikes as is…meaning what I found them for, but I’m providing a service in which is in actuality cheaper than taking it to an LBS and having them repair/recondition.

My LBS experience allows me to know exactly what to look for, replace, fix and etc.

It would have been the same thing as me going to a used car dealer, I’d rather pay a higher price for a car that is running, reliable and in great working order than me spending the money to get it fixed…I know bad example since its a biking blog. But you get the point.

Also there is negotiations involved during my sales, I know what I let the bike go for and often there’s room for me to make that judgment.

22. Marrock October 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Now if you do a profile on J.C. you need to do one on one of my deities.

Because you know full well that when it comes to dropping the hammer you can’t do better than Thor.

23. Jesus Christ October 22, 2008 4:48 pm

Don’t worry RL besides the fact that people don’t understand your making it a much better bike!? I’m sure adjusting the gears and cleaning up the chain and what not. The lord has your back I roll deep, drive bys all da time. Chea! Chea!