New Abio review…preview

What a great way to start the day — opening up a package!

It’s so compact, yet it’s 95% assembled right out of the box.

Within minutes, my new “ride” to work is ready to go.

I’ll let you know in the coming weeks how this new Abio Verdion stacks up against my full-sized commuters.

It already has one major advantage — folding down! I put that folding capacity to the test as I squeezed and wiggled my way (literally) through a public transit turnstile gate (with just enough room for me and this Abio).

1. RL March 15, 2009 9:10 am

That’s pretty sweet! Green, folding and a belt drive…dang.

E, have you noticed how quiet the drive train is? I’ve ridden one of the Spot Brand 29er belt drives and that thing was whisper quiet.

2. Dottie March 15, 2009 10:10 am

Cute! Those folding bikes always look like alien bikes to me.

3. Elizabeth March 15, 2009 10:54 am

It’s quiet with the belt drive… almost a gentle hum. But in the urban noise, it’s hard to notice. My chain driven bikes seem equally smooth and quiet when properly tuned.

4. Ghost Rider March 15, 2009 11:41 am

Ooooh, it looks like a tiny Bianchi, what with that celeste paintwork!

Looking forward to hearing more about the belt drive. Is it a Gates belt system?

5. 2whls3spds March 15, 2009 5:45 pm

When you all do a review of a folder, please post the maximum seat to pedal dimension. I have found this is usually the most critical one for most of us taller riders.

Sharp looking bike BTW

6. Elizabeth March 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Just measured this Abio and the max seat to pedal distance is 38 1/2 inches. Hope this helps.

7. 2whls3spds March 16, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks Elizabeth…borderline for my lanky self 😉

8. fixed gear uk March 17, 2009 5:28 am

yeah tall people suffer on these!

9. Chip Haynes March 17, 2009 7:11 am

I’ve been riding a Raleigh Twenty folding bike to work for years, and hardly ever fold it. For me, at 5′ 3″ or so (on a good day), it fits perfectly. They’re also great for negotiating the tight urban jungle.

You need one.

10. Mike March 17, 2009 4:07 pm

Looks like they have a drive-shaft version.

11. Elizabeth March 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Chip, I’m also 5’3″ so this folder is working out well for me.

Mike, they do have a drive-shaft version (the Penza) – in a purple color they call Pearl Wine. But the Penza is 3-speed and non-telescopic handlebar stem. There are several other differences… saving those for the full review.

12. Chip Haynes March 18, 2009 7:05 am

I’m always amazed folders aren’t more common and popular than they are. JoAnn and I own a few different ones, and that are all nice.

13. Ghost Rider March 18, 2009 10:04 am

Chip, I suspect this is the case for two major reasons: lots of folks have never had the opportunity to try one, and lots of folks think “how can such a tiny bike ride well?”.

I fell into both camps (more emphatically the latter) until I got a chance to try a Dahon folder….love at first ride! I’m itchin’ to add a folder to my fleet now.

14. Chip Haynes March 19, 2009 12:27 pm

I’m not sure they ride “well”, but they do ride “different”. The smaller wheels don’t take bumps well at all, but are great in tight urban settings (read: downtown sidewalks). Folders seem to turn and accelerate well, but also seem to not hold a lot of kinetic energy once you get them rolling- again, a by-product of those smaller wheels. They’re also tough to ride no-handed.

Still, it’s the one I ride to work more often than not.

15. Chris Davies April 24, 2009 4:25 pm

It looks lovely.
    I’d be interested what the maximum weight for a rider is.
    I imagine with the small wheels, easy to mount and upright position, it’d be a nice, not too intimidating rig for a larger rider, but the vast majority of folders seem to have quite low limits for maximum rider weight.

16. Ghost Rider April 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Chris, Abio lists the weight limit for this model at 220 lb.