10 Bike Commuting Myths Dispelled

From my friend Alan Snel’s blog…republished from a League of American Bicyclists/Bikingbis tweet:

Busting the 10 bicycling myths:

1. I’m out of shape

— Ride an easy pace, in a few months you will be in great shape
— Ride your route on a weekend to find the easiest way to work
— You will improve your fitness level when you become a regular bike commuter

2. It takes too long

— The average commuter travels at 10 mph; the more you ride, the faster you become
— Trips of less than 3 miles will be quicker by bike
— Trips of 5 to 7 miles in urban areas take the same or less by car

3. It’s too far

— Try riding to work and taking mass transit home, then alternating the next day
— Combine riding and mass transit to shorten your route
— Ride to a coworker’s house and carpool to work

4. No bike parking

— Look around for a storage area in your building or office
— Stash your bike in a covered, secure place such as a closet or even your office
— Formally request that your employer provide bike parking or lock it up outside

5. My bike is beat up

— Tell a reputable bike shop that you are commuting and have them tune up your bike
— If you can’t maintain your bike yourself, identify bike shops near your route
— Make sure that your bike is reliable and in good working order before you ride

6. No showers

— Most commuters don’t shower at wor; ride at an easy pace to stay cool and dry
— Ride home at a fast pace if you want a workout; shower when you get there
— Health clubs offer showers; get a discounted membership for showers only

7. I have to dress up

— Keep multiple sets of clothing at work; rotate them on days you drive
— Have work clothes cleaned at nearby laundromats or dry cleaners
— Pack clothes with you and change at work; try rolling clothes instead of folding

8. It’s raining

— Fenders for your bike and raingear for your body will keep you dry
— If you are at work, take transit or carpool to get home; ride home the next day
— Take transit or drive if you don’t have the gear to ride comfortably in the rain

9. The roads aren’t safe

— Obey traffic signs, ride on the right, signal turns, and stop at lights
— Wear bright clothing
— You are at no greater risk than driving a car
— Wear a helmet everytime you ride

10. I have to run errands

— Bolt a rack to the back of your bike to add carrying capacity
— Make sure that you have a lock to secure your bike while you are in a building
— Allow extra time to get to scheduled appointments and find parking
— Encourage your employer to provide a bicycle fleet for office use

1. Kendall April 26, 2009 8:44 am

great list! I am going to re-post it on my blog during bike week in May. Thanks!

2. Justin April 26, 2009 9:23 am

I commute every day and take issue with this:

9. The roads aren’t safe

– Obey traffic signs, ride on the right, signal turns, and stop at lights
    – Wear bright clothing
    – You are at no greater risk than driving a car
    – Wear a helmet everytime you ride

This isn’t entirely true.

“Riding on the right” can get you hit by a car, easily. I speak from experience. “Taking the lane” can result in the same thing. You are definitely at a greater risk than in a car – I got rear ended in my girlfriend’s car at a stop light and the other driver was doing 35mph. We got a slight bump due to the fact that we were in a 1500lb car that is designed to take a shock. That last time I got hit from behind on my bike I was thrown, skid across the pavement and now have a permanent muscle injury. It is more dangerous, currently.

And, I wear a helmet every day. But I beg people to please, please stop acting as if they are a magic bullet against cycling injuries. Most injuries happen to collar bones and legs when you are in an accident.

Again, great list, big supporter of commuting – I just think that riding a bike on a street is dangerous and people should know that. They just have to be prepared properly and saying things like “you are in no greater risk than if you were in a car” is not educating and preparing them properly.

-Justin

3. Ghost Rider April 26, 2009 10:40 am

Your perceived safety and the actual statistics of danger don’t jibe.

Let’s put this into perspective: Since 1932, when such statistics began being recorded, over 52000 bicyclists have been killed due to crashes. Compare that to motor vehicle deaths in 2006, when over 42ooo people lost their lives in the U.S.

Here’s another good source of basic statistics for all types of vehicle fatalities, both motorized and not:

By the numbers, bicycling is VASTLY more safe than being in a motor vehicle. Saying “you’re not safe out there” is much worse from an education perspective than telling folks the truth — as long as we do our part by being visible, careful and predictable (and by following applicable vehicle laws), we are quite safe on the streets. It may not feel like that sometimes, but the numbers support safety.

4. Jennifer Davis April 26, 2009 11:19 am

I’m with Justin on this. People do stupid stuff all the time in cars, and bicyclists need to be hyperaware of it and be ready to respond. You also should choose the paths that are going to be the best for biking. I ride a ways out of the way to get better biking safety.

I’ve never been hit, and I hope I don’t ever get hit, but I have had people pull in rapidly in front of me and come really close to hitting me.

5. Doohickie April 26, 2009 11:33 am

Trips of 5 to 7 miles in urban areas take the same or less by car.

My commute is 7 miles. It takes about 15-20 minutes in a car, 35-40 minutes on a bike. Given the workout I get, though, I still feel I’m saving time compared to driving and then trying to find time to do a workout equivalent to my commute.

No showers

I shower before leaving home. When I get to work I use a generous amount of baby powder to absorb sweat. Others use baby wipes to give themselves a sponge bath. These both work even in very hot climates (I live in Texas).

6. Alek F April 26, 2009 11:55 am

Regarding the list on #9 “The Roads Aren’t Safe” – may I suggest also mentioning:
    “Add a Rear-View Mirror”.
    I can’t stress enough how many times I’ve seen near-hits when a cyclist had to veer-off to the left, without seeing the car in time, almost ended-up being hit.
    Folks, get rear-view mirrors! All vehicles (including scooters and motorcycles) have rear-riew mirrors, and bicycles shouldn’t be an exception!
    You will be able to see what’s going on behind you all the time! And rear-view mirror allows you to see an approaching danger well ahead of time.
    I’ve biked for 20+ years, and – gotta tell ya, can’t imaging biking without a rear-view mirror.

7. Michael April 26, 2009 12:43 pm

In regards to safety … 52k dead bicyclists isnt’ a fair comparison since 99.99% of the commuters in this country use cars, their feet, or public transit, not bicycles.

It certainly doesn’t help that there are so many bicyclers who make it a point to be assholes and antagonize drivers.

Though I commute by bike, in San Francisco I’m not only surprised I only witness on average 2 bike accidents a month, I find myself rooting for the cars, hoping that asshole bike who cuts across a busy intersection gets taken out of the gene pool.

8. Steve A April 26, 2009 1:11 pm

#8 – Apparently, people don’t realize that when it rains around North Texas, it typically has lightning as well. Comfort’s got little to do with it. I’m not inclined to be a human lightning rod! If the forecast is for 50% rain with chance of thunderstorms, I find other means to go to work…

Doohickie? You differ?

9. Gordon April 26, 2009 2:19 pm

I read the comments twice before gathering my thoughts. Maybe I am more of a ones and zeros type rider. You either ride or you don’t. You are courteous or you are not. You either obey the traffic rules or you do not. You either root for riders to get taken out or you don’t. I am not more superior than anyone when it comes to bikes. I just enjoy biking!

10. Ghost Rider April 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Yes, it’s a little unfair to compare the raw numbers between motorist and bicyclist deaths…primarily because there’s a tiny fraction of cyclists as compared to motor vehicle users. Still, I maintain that bicycling is a lot safer than folks may realize/admit.

When you add in the common sense stuff, such as following the laws, staying sober, maintaining visibility both day and night — that really reduces those fatality numbers. Overwhelmingly, cyclist deaths occur when they’re legally drunk, riding around at night without lights or doing something stupid in violation of published vehicle laws (riding the wrong way, ignoring stoplights and signs, etc.). Do the right thing out there and you’re pretty safe.

And, I totally agree that seeing other cyclists doing stupid stuff out there really makes me cringe, but I will NEVER root for the motorist in such instances 😉

11. Dean Peddle April 26, 2009 6:03 pm

I agree with Alek. I’ve bicycle commuted for 15 years now and since I put the mirror on my helmet last year I can’t live without it and wonder how I did before. It makes a world of difference and before I used to use my helmet occassionally but now I don’t leave home without it….not because I think helmets are that usefull (that’s another topic all together) but because I need my mirror!!!

12. Iron_Man April 26, 2009 7:29 pm

Number 2 is misleading. I am 7 miles from work as well. Driving takes 15 minutes and biking takes 35. Parking and the walk in do add an additional five minutes to the drive bringing the total to 20 minutes. Even if they were dead even I still need to cool down and change clothes. Thus requiring an additional 10-15 minutes on the bike commute to prepare for the office day. That is unless your boss is super liberal with the time and lets you clean up on company time.

But biking to work is still a blast and it doesn’t really contribute to a overly lengthy morning overall. Folks wiggle a workout into their schedules, this is a workout and a commute.

13. 2whls3spds April 27, 2009 4:46 am

#3 and #9 are my pet peeves when someone tries to explain away not commuting by bike. Viable mass transit does not exist in many parts of the country outside of major metropolitan areas. Also FWIW according to the US census the average commute is around 16 miles one way. That is over an hour by bike even for a decent rider on a good day. Number 9…too many urban areas do not have cycle friendly roads, yes you can ride on them, yes you can take the lane, yes you can dress like a circus clown or an out of season Christmas tree, however the what would be a minor fender bender caused by an inattentive motorist between two cars can prove deadly to a cyclist. In most of suburban America the roadways are designed only for the convenience of automobile traffic, not pedestrian or cyclists. It is criminal and more needs to be done, but most local governing boards think they have met the need for cycling facilities by putting in an MUP that doesn’t go anywhere, but they still spent money on “cycling infrastructure” now get off the roads.

Aaron

14. Justin April 27, 2009 7:27 am

As already mentioned, “raw numbers” might support your stance – when taken out of context and not viewed as percentages.

I want more people to bike, I also want more safe cycling. It kills me to see the amount of unsafe stuff that goes on – whether it’s the rude behavior of cyclists who ignore traffic signs and rules or people riding in the danger zone between parked cars and the right most lane with no bike lane.

As with anything, people should be aware of the potential dangers that arise with riding a bike. Sorry, but writeups like this don’t “jibe” with the real world experiences that cyclists have every day.

15. Iron Man April 27, 2009 7:53 am

There is a lot of discussion here about what I would call “perceived danger” vs “actual danger.” I’ve never seen accident statistics (say what you will about stats) concerning experienced and law abiding cyclists vs average Joe’s with no experience or concern for responsible cycling. We are all lumped into one big category of “cyclists.”

I have cycled so much that I really do feel safe on the roads. Experience has given me insight into driver behavior, ideal route selections, lane positioning, safety gear, and also a sense of calm on my selected route that only comes through time spent on it learning its traffic pattern. It’s a huge hurdle to get a person to actually believe that cycling can be done safely due to the level of exposure and perceived threat. I admit that my anxiety goes up when I’m on unfamiliar roads, but much of that is due to the unfamiliarity, not an actual increase in threat. I’m a guy who has seen his fair share of run ins and have even been struck by a car. So I’m certainly not saying these things with a flippant attitude.

16. Andreas April 27, 2009 7:57 am

For anyone to be routing for the motorist in an accident is very irresponsible. Cyclists are in a more vulnerable position and in all honesty if a bike was used as often as a car for journeys I’m sure the accident and death rate would be much higher. Simply put you have no protection on the road and whilst you can take all the precautions in the world there is always people driving like idiots. I believe the car is a much more deadly machine that the bike could ever be.

I have never understood the hatred that cyclists get – at the end of the day we are all trying to get somewhere and at least cyclists are trying to do it in a healthy and eco friendly way.

Back on the topic of starting up with bike commuting this is a very well put together list. People will always make up excuses but the number of stories of people that have “seen the light” and converted to bike commuting is great encouragement. Hopefully this will continue to increase.

17. TimK April 27, 2009 9:49 am

As for that last bit: How in the world does painting a stripe make that location safer? Does it magically prevent parked drivers from opening a door into the bike lane, or magically prevent moving drivers in the right-hand lane from encroaching on that space?

The stripe can be somewhat effective at the latter, but I doubt it has any effect on drivers (or back-seat passengers!) in parked cars at all.

18. Ghost Rider April 27, 2009 10:09 am

Iron Man — that was exactly the point I was trying to make: perceived vs. actual danger.

Does it feel scary on the roads? It sure can. Is it actually dangerous? Not really, provided you’re sober, visible and following the traffic laws (easy enough to do).

I’ve got nearly 20 years of “real world” experiences on a bike, sharing the road with motor vehicles, and I’ll be damned if I am going to tell someone new to commuting that it is dangerous out there. That’s hardly the encouragement to get folks out of their cars and onto a bike, and besides which, it is just not the actual case.

If we want more people using bikes for transportation, we absolutely HAVE to dispel the myth that it’s super-dangerous out there. I’m no daredevil, and if I really thought the roads were dangerous, I probably wouldn’t bike on them (most roads in my city are utterly bike-lane-free, anyway).

19. justveggingout April 27, 2009 7:11 pm

I second (or third) the idea of getting a mirror. I don’t use a helmet mirror. I use a mircycle (sp?), which attaches to the end of the left handlebar. I find that, in some cases, cars who might otherwise tail really closely behind me will back off if they sense I’m watching them in the mirror.

20. Darrren April 28, 2009 2:16 am

I’ll also agree a mirror is essential for a recumbent or a upright. With a mirror you can watch a vehicle approach, without you can only glance and hope.

Overall if you do the right thing (follow laws, ride defensively, ride with traffic, don’t ride in the door zone, etc.) it is relatively safe. Sometimes bad things happen even to the best cyclist (sometimes they even make mistakes), but unless you do something stupid it isn’t anymore dangerous than a car (probably safer and far healthier). But if you blow throw stop signs, ride on the sidewalk, ride the wrong way on the street, ride too close to parked cars, ride at night without lights, ride drunk, etc. eventually something bad will happen. If you are lucky you’ll learn and do better, if not well it probably wont be pretty.

21. Franklin April 28, 2009 9:03 am

I can tell you from my own experiences that it will take me longer by bike than by car to get to anywhere I go around here. The only reason is that it is pretty much because there are very few stop lights b/t where I travel. Also the speed limits are on average 35-45 MPH.

22. Chip Haynes April 28, 2009 11:50 am

I’ve been pedaling the three miles to work just about every here in Clearwater, Florida for the last 13 years or so, and I can count the number of close calls I’ve had on one hand- most of them my fault through momentary lapses in reason. Whoopsie!

As long as you are alert and understand the law, it’s honestly not that bad out there on a bicycle.

The perception of danger (on a bicycle) is far higher than the real thing.

23. Elizabeth April 28, 2009 1:47 pm

What I sense is a cyclists vs motorists mentality and it shouldn’t be at all. We all have a legal right to share the roads. And as road users, we have the expectation to do so in a responsible way. Do we? No. And that’s where the problems begin.

I advocate all the way for safe and legal sharing of the roads.

Just be safe out there… however you choose to get around.

(and for those of us who know someone who’s died or been injured in an accident, seek out your local Ride of Silence on May 20 — http://www.rideofsilence.org)

24. Robert April 28, 2009 5:58 pm

It is great to hear about all the myths and I agree about a lot of them.

Safety:

Sure there are a lot of dangers with regards to automobiles, but what about those potholes that could send you flying off your bike and into a car? Loose gravel….yep…that too…. squirrels, dogs, alligators? Don’t forget about wet roads, and the fact that anything on two wheels sucks on ice. However, the freedom and enjoyment of living life at a slower pace is worth it for me.

Showers:
    If your place of work doesn’t have showers, like most, unscented baby wipes are also a good way to stay clean. It is a good alternative if your nervous when the sign at the sink says “not recommended for consumption.”

25. ophale April 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Great job on the 10 Bike Commuting Myth List! It is the cyber community at this web site and MTBR that has taught me a lot about cycling to work the last 9 months. The top ten list has a few of my concerns before I started bike commuting and now I realize how many of them are non issues. Thank you for posting the list!

I noticed a lot of comments regarding the list are about bike safety. I was at a meeting regarding cycling friendly communities a few months ago and an idea was seeded into my brain by the presenter (Preston) from the League of American Bicyclists to have a cycling safety meeting at you place of work. So… I have teamed up with a local Pedestrian and Cycling advocacy group “PATH” and their Education Director who is a League of American Bicyclists certified cycling instructor to teach a one hour Safe Bicycle Commuting Brown Bag Safety Meeting during Bike to Work Week. We have about 10 regular bike commuters of 300 people at our facility.

I’m hoping that cyclist and non-cyclist will learn the rules of the road, how to be more defensive behind the steering wheel or handle bar and to discuss issues that are relevant to our roadways. I also convinced my executive director to make the meeting public, as an outreach program to the community. All are welcome! Here is a downloadable flyer: http://www.ophale.com/bicycle/NELHA_Bike_to_Work_Safety_Meeting.pdf

Aloha,

Keith

26. The Punisher April 29, 2009 7:42 am

I just ride in my Micky Mouse underwear! Everyone sees me and no one gets mad.

27. Steve A May 3, 2009 9:48 am

Let’s see, the ones that apply to me include: #2, #3, #7, #8, #9. BUT #9 is BS so that makes it 5 in favor and 4 against.

Majority rules – LET’S GO CYCLE! (Except when those thunderstorms are around)

28. Jesskat May 5, 2009 2:52 pm

How about having kids? I have a 5 year old son that I have to take with me everywhere I go. He’s not good enough on his bike to go up all the hills this town has. Plus my town is really spread out; nothing is close to anything else. He’s also 55 pounds so hauling him in a trailer (if i could afford one) is out of the question. How would you deal with this problem?

29. Ghost Rider May 5, 2009 3:40 pm

Jesskat — that’s a tough one, for sure. A lot of the solutions require some expense. I live in a fairly dense urban area and don’t own a car, and my 5-year old rides everywhere with me on the back of my Xtracycle (school, groceries, restaurants, etc.).

Until I got the Xtra, I used a trailer extensively. Bike trailers can be had for really cheap — I got mine brand new for about $80, and I see them pop up on Craigslist all the time as kids outgrow them.

You may also consider adding public transportation into the mix, if such is available. Eliminating a car from your life may not be the best option, but I am convinced everyone, no matter the circumstances, can certainly reduce their reliance on them.

30. Design Impact » Blog Archive » May is National Bike Month May 13, 2009 1:01 pm

[…] bikcommuters.com for tips on getting around on your bike, including recent posts on long commutes, dispelling myths about bicycle commuting, and a review of the book ‘The Practical Cyclist ‘, which addresses how to help make […]

31. limonene May 20, 2009 4:44 pm

The only dangerous part of riding is nothing between you and the impact. However, if you assume that all other drivers/bikers on the road are going to do something stupid and hit you, then you’ll be more aware of all traffic. And I don’t assert my right of way against a vehicle.. And yes, getting hit twice made me start thinking this way. This is called defensive driving/biking…it’s what I taught my kids on bicycle or in a car. For sweater riders at work, keep a bath cloth and towel for sponge baths in the restroom…works fine.

32. David May 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Re:Health clubs offer showers; get a discounted membership for showers only.

Hi everyone. On June 1 I am starting a job at a new office in downtown DC that will have about an 11 mile bike commute, one way. This will be 9 miles on trails and between 1.75 and 2 miles on city streets in downtown DC.

I did it this morning to both get the sense of it and how long it will take (52 minutes and I missed one turn and had to backtrack.)

What I am really hoping is that someone will have a suggestion for gyms in the downtown DC area which offer these “shower only” memberships. I am really interested in this as I generally sweat a good deal when I am doing even mild activity and while I am willing to do the sponge bath/handiwipe/baby powder thing when I get to work…..would be cool to have a way to get cleaner. Any help?

33. Ghost Rider May 25, 2009 6:50 pm

David, you may want to check with the wonderful folks at the Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA):
    http://www.waba.org/ They are a tremendous resource!

Happy c0mmuting!

34. Andrew (bandicoot) June 2, 2009 1:11 am

I use a spare office fan…works great to evaporate sweat

35. Dennis The Bald July 29, 2009 4:16 pm

I can’t believe what I’m reading here comparing the relative danger of motor vehicles to HPVs. The danger posed by bicycles is non-existent within the context of that posed by motor vehicles.
    Very few of the 40,000 plus deaths caused by motor vehicles in the USofA each year result in any prosecution, they are just accidents – the sort of thing that might happen to anyone (well, anyone that operated one of those death machines). In this light everyone that drives a car must share in the responsibility for those deaths, no matter how carefully they drive. Murderous bastards, one and all.

36. LoneRider August 3, 2009 1:48 pm

First, as to safety on bike vs a car, there are two issues here: the danger of having an accident in the first place, and the danger of injury in the event of an accident. In my experience the cyclist riding in traffic is at risk because a lot of drivers are inattentive — and if he is in a crash, he is much more likely to get hurt. Also an accident will cause proportionally greater damage to the bike than car no matter what the speed. A dented bike and no access to brazing or welding equipement? totalled bike. A dented car? Minor body repair.

Statistics do show more people killed in cars but more people drive than bike and more of the drivers spend a lot longer on the roads thereby exposign themselves to more risk. Also a lot of cyclists are not fully interacting with traffic which is actually less safe but limits the injury should they fall. I.e., putting along at 10 mph will make yourself more liekly t5o get hit on abusy street. If you stick to backroads you may be fine. But if you want to ride for transport you have to develop the ability to use different types of streets so you can do so safely if you have to, even if you’d wisely choose your route based on least danger or number of hazards. Example: a cyclist riding at a brisk mpace through a 4 way can be killed or injured by a left turning oncoming car. A cycling poking along at 10 mph can probably stop if the car cuts him off. However, if the briskly moving cyclist slows down from 20 to 10 mph, the car WILL cut him off because he will think the cyclist is letting him go… You have to be experienced and learn the skills to judge these situations.

I would rather ride at 20 and take my chances on my own eyes than going slow and trusting others to see me, though I do take precautions especially in the evening using many more lights than the number rwequired by law…

There are also risks peculiar to cyclists and to some degree motorcycles, such as drivers misjudging their speed when they’d be able to judge the speed of a car — or skidding out and falling. Open car doors, etc. All pose risks to two wheeled road users that cars don’t have to worry about. And how many times are you hit in the head with a bottle tossed out of a car doing 40 mph in your Toyota Camry?

While one should not hype the dangers of cycling, there are dangers out there, and one would be remiss to ignore them, especially since better education of drivers is usually the only way to fix them, except there will be nomove to educate drivers if no one knows they need it because no one talks about the dangers of a left hook or a car edging you into a ditch.

I’d say, mention the dangers, then add the numbe rof people killed driving or walking for a bit of perspective — keeping in mind the context, of course. We don’t want people riding with blinders to the danger — but we don’t wanna scare folks away from riding either.

37. Electric Bikes Experts July 7, 2010 8:32 am

I think electric bikes can also help solve the problem, for the first seven at least.

1) Out of shape
    Any bike will help you peddle, but an electric bike takes some of the strain away. That makes it easier, so you’re more likely to ‘get on your bike’

2) Takes too long
    An electric bike typically cruises at 15mph – in a city, that’s faster than most commuter traffic, public transport and yes – other cyclists. Even better when there are dedicated cycle paths

3) It’s too far
    When a motor is doing half (or all) the work for you, and you’re zipping along at a cool 15mph, distance becomes a non-issue.

4) No bike parking
    A folding electric bike can collapse down to take into the office, or just invest in a tough bike lock – kryptonite bike locks are good

5) My bike is beat up
    You could buy a new electric bike, or get a bike mechanic to fix up your old bike – whilst they convert it to electric too!

6) No showers
    With less work, you don’t sweat so much, but since you’re going faster the wind-chill effect is increased so your body stays cooler. Result – minimal sweat.

7) I have to dress up
    No you don’t. Not with an electric bike anyway where sweat isn’t such a problem and you don’t need to put in masses of effort. This isn’t the Tour de France

38. More Than One Way to UTILIZE your Bike | Bike Commuters August 17, 2010 6:37 pm

[…] utilize bicycles for purposes beyond sport and recreation. Not surprisingly, all evidence points to bike commuting as the predominant form of utility cycling throughout the world.  Digging up information (mainly […]

39. Benedict September 7, 2012 2:23 am

I am in need of your assistance with regard to bike to work proposal for a company that is strict with regard to bikes being brought to work due to no provision for temporary storage.

I would appreciate any help from anyone who could assist me and maybe send me a bike to work proposal so I could tailor fit it and forward it to our Human Resource Director.

Thank you.

Respectfully,
    Benedict

40. OHM Electric Bikes September 7, 2012 3:38 am

Great points about how electric bikes would address a lot of these myths up there. I would also add that an electric bike would help you carry a lot more weight to help you with running your errands. Attaching a bike trailer to the back of your bike would also help with the carrying capacity.

41. Grizzly907la February 5, 2013 11:48 pm

I am just getting into bike commuting. I started doing it because I need the exercise and I hate taking the bus. I do worry about some idiot hitting me though. I used to ride from NAS North Island to downtown San Diego and came close to getting crushed by cargo trucks on three separate occasions.

42. Amur_Tiger May 4, 2013 8:42 pm

I’ve biked for a decade now in Vancouver and there’s a few things you can do to deal with the safety issues of biking, many of which are common sense.

1. Keep your eyes AND EARS open, your ears are your rear-view mirror, side mirrors and a way to know what’s coming around the corner. Having mirrors present as well can also help for noisier roads where it becomes harder to pick out distance/direction just by sound.

2. Pick your route carefully, ideally you either want no cars or to be able to go a similar speed to the cars. Bike boulevards in Vancouver are excellent for this. Besides speed also be aware of the type of traffic you’re dealing with, try to avoid major industrial traffic routes as the larger vehicles will crowd out their lane more and present airflow issues that can tip, or more likely turn your bike.

3. Wear your gear, this starts with a helmet but also includes at least some reflective/bright clothing and if at night lights, accept no substitutes.

4. Always, always prepare for stupid behavior from cars, if you have a right of way and they’re not slowing cover your brakes and prepare to stop and make sure you can stop if they ignore you. To help predict these sorts of things also try to make eye-contact or at least know where the driver’s looking, a lot of drivers just aren’t looking for cyclists and won’t see you until late, be prepared to brake suddenly for drivers who aren’t looking at you.

43. Per Capita July 2, 2013 9:45 am

Two Americans are killed every year by Alligator attacks. Swimming with Alligators is way safer than riding a bike on the street~

44. Sharon April 27, 2014 5:29 pm

I came to this website because I have been braving myself up for the past few days to get a bike for short commutes of 3 miles instead of always getting the bus.

Ten minutes after reading the blog post and comments, I am heavily dissuaded from this decision. Thanks a lot, guys, scaring me back into my shell. -_-

45. dAn November 21, 2014 10:15 pm

I’ve also found that I avoid wrecks easier on my bike…It’s just flat easier to stop or get out of the way. I commute everyday for years now and can only count a couple of times it came to this, and I’m always going fast and hard. commute is 5-8 miles depending on the route I take. I have had no major accidents so far. Play the numbers, ride the safest route possible, stay alert, etc. I think the safety thing is way over blown and most people just have a fear.

YOU CAN DO IT SHARON! You’ll never regret it.

46. Sam G February 27, 2015 10:37 am

I ride my bike to school everyday and take a shower there its 5 miles and ive raced my friends in there cars 4 times ive beaten them 3 times(got a flat) but i was also booking it because i like going fast.