Chris’s Big Dumb Pug

Longtime friend of Bikecommuters.com Chris Follmer of Planet Bike sent in the following photo…and we HAD to share it!

big dumb pug

Is this some sort of one-off Surly creation…a Big Dummy made to accept Pugsley wheels? Not exactly. Chris was kind enough to offer the following explanation:

This is a custom built bike by Banjo Cycles here in Madison. It has been dubbed the Big Dumb Pug. It is what happens when you leave a Pugsley and Big Dummy in a closet overnight alone! I just got it built up yesterday and rode it downtown…For Wisconsin winters, this bike will get me to the store where my others will stop dead in their tracks!

Folks in Madison (well, at least Chris) are already thinking about winter commuting. That’s hardcore! Chris also told me about Madison’s Bike to Work Week:

This is Madison and Milwaukee’s bike to work week and we did our 3rd annual “Bacon on the Bike path!” Planet Bike just sits on the side of a bike path downtown and we fry up bacon and have donuts and fruit and coffee. This year we had the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin and a local bike shop next to us, fixing bikes and talking to people.

Mmm…bacon. Sure beats those stale bagels the commuter rest stops usually have!

1. Clancy June 11, 2009 3:05 pm

I like the concept of those two bikes together. I really like the Retro lines of the frame too.

2. RL June 11, 2009 3:48 pm

That has to be one of the coolest Xtracycles I’ve seen!

3. Marrock June 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Now that’s an Xtra I’d ride!

4. Marla June 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Man! I wanted to use my Pugsley when I was first trying to figure out what to hook the Xtra up to. Glad to see a fat tire Xtra out there!!

5. Ghost Rider June 11, 2009 5:07 pm

I’m half-tempted to move to a snowy location just for an excuse to build up a beast like this!

6. BikeWhenYouCan June 11, 2009 5:55 pm

Oh, man. That’s the bike of my dreams… I’ve been wanting something exactly like that. Hmmm…. could I sell the car for that bike??? Not quite yet.

7. Rantwick June 11, 2009 6:38 pm

Winter biking is really worth it… in some ways better than summer! I thought my winter bike was a beast… wow.

8. Quinn June 11, 2009 6:56 pm

Finally an xtracycle that fit a Real 29er tire!

just my kind of long tail

9. BeachCrusier June 11, 2009 7:03 pm

Winter riding???!
    Man if I had that I would not have to cart everything off of the bike to the shoreline. Load up the beach chairs, towels, 5 pack (always seem to be one short), kite, sand toys, surfboard, skim board, sunscreen, lunch, snacks, and kids, then ride over the soft sand to paradise.
    I want!!!

10. BeachCruiser June 11, 2009 7:06 pm

I promise next time not to get so excited that I cannot spell cruiser.

11. Ghost Rider June 11, 2009 7:13 pm

BeachCruiser — that’s IT: the justification I NEED to get one of these built for the harsh Florida winters!!! My wife will surely understand that, as she’s a dedicated beachgoer too.

Thank you!

12. AC June 12, 2009 7:00 am

Re: 29er tires…

I’d like to see some pics of the rear-end to see how they got the Xtra stuff to work. When I built my BD I wanted to go 29er, but there’s no way with the BD frame. I can see from the pic the rear tire sticks out past the rear Xtra stay . Can Chris run WideLoaders?

Very cool bike!

13. AC June 12, 2009 7:03 am

Just to be clear, I know those are 26″ wheels, but with the 3.0, or so tires, that’s equates to a 29er.

14. Ghost Rider June 12, 2009 9:04 am

It’s a custom-made bike…ANYTHING is possible.!

I’ll contact Chris to see if we can get some detail shots of the frame assembly.

15. Ghost Rider June 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Excellent…didn’t even think of that.

It DOES take Wideloaders. Hoo ha!

16. john g June 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Greetings — may I post a picture of this Xtracycle on my blog?

Naturally I will attribute and link and so forth…

Thanks in advance!!

John

17. Ghost Rider June 12, 2009 9:07 pm

John…probably a good idea to visit Chris’s Flickr stream directly and ask him…I’m sure he won’t mind, though:

Why isn’t Xtracyclegallery on our blogroll? I need to correct that immediately!

18. chris June 13, 2009 5:22 pm

John,
    Feel free to post those pictures from my Flickr page. We had the Bike to work week Final Fiesta last night and there was beer, pizza and a local band. There was a guy named Russ who has a bunch of “Art Bikes”, the best one(in my opinion) was the 36 inch wheeled cruiser and BMX pegs on the back. It made you feel like a little kid! Anyway, I think I got asked for more rides than he did! It is alot of fun to ride and get a lot of head turners!

19. Marrock June 14, 2009 7:45 pm

What makes are the bars & stem?

20. Bill Baker June 16, 2009 12:23 pm

I have begun my winter bike prep with inspiration from the fat tire gods!

21. Chris June 16, 2009 2:58 pm

Marrock,
    That is a Dirty Dog Skull stem and the Titec H-Bar. The skull is a total attention getter, and the bars with the Brooks grips are quite comfortable!

22. john g June 19, 2009 9:34 pm

schweeeeet!
    thanks!

23. greenbike September 25, 2009 9:43 am

Can you tell me where I can get one of those front racks?

24. Ghost Rider September 25, 2009 11:16 am

@Greenbike, the front rack is a custom creation from The Rack Lady in Madison, Wis. I can’t find contact info for her, but she does have a Flickr account with photos of her other racks:

25. Johnny settle November 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Just thought it was overdue for someone to say how cool this ride is.

26. David June 13, 2012 10:24 am

Interesting, except up until a year ago Big Dumb Pug was not found on the interweb until David Meyer of Minneapolis, MN of The Hub bicycle Co-op had Eric Noren of Peacock Groove modify his actual Surly Big Dummy to accept fatbike wheels/tires. Just sayin!