Powered by Max Banner Ads
Just in from our friend at the Southwest Florida Bicycle United Dealers (SWFBUD), the folks who put on the annual Bicycle Bash by the Bay:
SWFBUD is proud to announce the 2009 Bicycle Bash by the Bay — Tampa Bay’s annual bicycle festival — is set for October 11 in beautiful North Straub Park in downtown St. Petersburg.
SWFBUD is inviting you and your organization to participate for FREE because of your commitment to growing bicycling in the Tampa Bay region. All SWFBUD asks is that you do your part to promote the Bicycle Bash by the Bay and continue your hard work at advocating for bicyclists.
This year’s Bicycle Bash event (www.bicyclebash.com) will be extra special.
The Cure on Wheels bike ride is our presenting sponsor, so this year’s event will be known as the “Bicycle Bash by the Bay, presented by Cure on Wheels.” As our presenting sponsor, Cure on Wheels has exclusive food-vending rights to the Bicycle Bash and is partnering with several local restaurants to sell food at the event.
SWFBUD has switched to North Straub Park from Vinoy Park to allow a national senior men’s cross-country race to be staged at Vinoy Park. The national race is drawing 1,200 competitors and there will also be hundreds of high school runners in running events at Vinoy Park, which is next to Straub Park. The Bicycle Bash is expected to draw many visitors from the next-door running races, boosting our attendance with folks from both the running events as well as those visiting downtown St. Petersburg.
Other Bicycle Bash features this year include:
– Singer-bicyclist Rachel VanSlyke is biking from North Carolina to perform.
– The Youth Triathlon Series, led by Suzanne Henslee, is having its season celebration at the Bicycle Bash.
– The St. Petersburg Bike Club will have Share the Road bike rides throughout the event.
– Pinellas County bicycle personality John Sinibaldi is returning to be the event emcee.
– The city of St. Petersburg will be giving away free helmets and holding a bike rodeo.
– Cure on Wheels will be signing up bicyclists for its ride.
– Flatland bike performances will be held.
– A Swap Meet, free gear, public agencies that support bicycling and a bike-donation station will be available.
SWFBUD wants to thank its sponsors: Cure on Wheels, Polar Bottle, Visionary Studio printers, the city of St. Petersburg, Pinellas County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Bikecommuters.com will be there to cover the event and to take photos and video. Not sure if we’re going to have a tent there or not this year…but I should have some giveaway goodies nevertheless. Check out our coverage from 2007 and 2008 — if you’re in the Tampa Bay area, this event is a BLAST!