Fall Launched last night in Chicago with De Fietsfabriek and Po Campo Party!

My commute home last night amidst the cool 50 degree weather included the perfect detour for a warm up – a stop at the De Fietsfabriek and Po Campo fall launch party! The De Fietsfabriek storefront is located along my daily route, so my biking buddy and I just pulled over and walked in to join a great party on the way home.

Bikes outside the shop beckoned to us

And inside, the accessories and bikes on display welcomed us

We even met up with Dottie (and Mr. Dottie) from Let’s Go Ride A Bike.

All hosts (from left to right – Co-Founder Maria of Po Campo, Jon of De Fietsfabriek, and Alex of West Town Bikes) agree the night brought an impressive turnout and a great show of support

According to Jon of De Fietsfabriek, “By all accounts it was a great night, turnout was better than expected and everyone had a great time. Reactions to the new bags and bikes were extremely positive and a lot of great conversation and catching up amongst the Chicago biking community was going on. Sales were pretty good and we’re happy to be able to pass 10% of the proceeds to support WTB.”

1. leah the librarian October 1, 2009 12:31 pm

It was very fun and a perfect start to the Autumn biking season!

2. Dottie October 1, 2009 7:39 pm

Good times!

3. Ghost Rider October 1, 2009 8:01 pm

Mmmm…I love bicycle parties. It doesn’t happen often enough around here!

4. Chris October 2, 2009 9:02 am

Just rode my daughter to school this morning in our De Fietsfabriek 995.

Wish I could have been at the party!

5. Elizabeth October 2, 2009 10:35 am

Chris – I love those family bikes.
    In fact I’d like the BF18 trike. Do you find stability an issue on the 995?

6. DrMekon October 12, 2009 1:57 am

He appears not to have seen the question, but having owned a 995, and currently an owner of a Bakfiets.nl cargobike, I can answer. The 995 very stable. At low speeds, say <6mph, it's a bit wiggly because the steering ratio is 1 to 1. At these low speeds, a trike is better. However, at normal riding speeds, the 995 is super-stable. Much more stable than a trike, which gets tippier the faster you go – even at modest speeds, an awkward bump or turn puts you up on 2-wheels.

BTW – the 995 can be improved by moving the steerer rod to in inside position on the fork and outside position on the steerer tube – that way it mimics the bakfiets.nl steering, which feels more stable at low speed. I've mentioned this to Jon at FFUSA.

7. Dutch Bikes tour California | Bike Commuters December 19, 2009 7:59 am

[…] Earlier this month De Fietsfabriek-USA packed up the truck in Chicago and hit the road heading west along Route 66. In October I wrote about their Grand Opening party. […]