Winter Biking featured on PBS

wttw clip

Our local PBS station featured winter bike commuting last night on their show Chicago Tonight.

Wherever you’re riding this winter, happy winter biking! And as one bike commuter commented at the end of the segment to all those motorists, ” Give us a break, ok?” (I read “give us a brake”.)

What’s your biggest challenge or joy of biking during the winter?

1. gary February 16, 2010 10:32 pm

And the report referred to ATA as Chicagoland Bicycle Federation like it should be named.

2. Elizabeth February 16, 2010 10:37 pm

After I posted this video, I heard rumors that it may be a bit outdated.

3. Iron_Man February 17, 2010 3:18 pm

Biggest challenge is just getting out of bed. The body just doesn’t want to get out when it’s cold and dark. Even though it’s no big deal, I’m plenty warm, the body still whines like a 3 year old.

The biggest joy is the look on my coworkers faces. They just can’t believe I’m out there. It’s especially fun when they are just so convinced I wouldn’t get out on a snowy, icy or super cold day and so jokingly ask “You didn’t ride today did you?” Than when I say yes their jaw hits the ground. I love it.

4. Elizabeth February 17, 2010 3:20 pm

Yep… that jaw-dropping reaction never gets old. :-)

5. TStevens February 18, 2010 6:48 am

Snowplows putting up same pretty big banks to get over

6. Dottie February 18, 2010 9:08 pm

I missed that segment, so thanks for posting. My biggest challenge is the same year-round: staying out of the doorzone while hoping the cars behind me are paying attention. My joy is the crisp, freezing, fresh air – quite unique.

7. phillycommuter February 19, 2010 8:50 pm

I am on a 3 week recovery hiatus after getting hit by a careless driver (just bruises, thankfully). The biggest problem I have is staying visible in the dark. Even with lights and reflective clothing, some drivers tune out in the dark commutes and start to just look for headlights. I have heard the same thing from motorcycle drivers.

After that it is keeping my toes warm.

8. Elizabeth February 20, 2010 9:08 am

@phillycommuter – Hope you make a full recovery from your injuries. I have two blinking headlights and rear lights and wear a high viz screaming yellow jacket and reflective gear as possible. Did you see the review of the Bike Brightz lighting system?

As for cold toes, fellow bike commuter Noah listed some tips back in a December post when the mercury dipped to single digits! Personally, wool socks, wiggling the toes and overshoes have helped me – along with the chemical toe or foot warmers – especially good for a longer ride or with clipless pedals.

9. Rantwick February 22, 2010 9:09 am

Biggest Joy – Not having to stop riding like I used to. No sore bum in Spring!

Biggest Challenge: Keeping the salt and grit and crud from devouring my bike / components.