Great deal on a Single Speed Commuter Bike

I saw this at Nashbar’s website. $199.99

This would make a great commuter bike for anyone that’s on a budget. Plus it has fender mounts.

New for 2010, the Hounder Single Speed Road Bike builds on the success of our Single Speed Road Bike with style. The Hounder provides solid, dependable, no-frills transportation and does it while looking good! It’s flat bar provides a more upright and comfortable position. It comes with a 16t freewheel and fixed cog to allow you to choose your riding style. Great for college students, commuters, early season training, and anyone who wants to experience cycling in its simplest, purist form. Color: Black. 27lbs.

* Frame Urban Single Speed Design, Cro Mo, Water Bottle & fender Mounts
o Top tube length 539 546 555 560 563 570
o Head tube angle 72° 72° 72° 72° 72° 72°
o Seat tube angle 74° 74° 74° 74° 74° 74°
o Chainstays 415 415 415 415 415 415
o BB height 282 282 282 282 282 282

1. Raiyn February 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I see your sale and raise you a coupon code. Nashbar “Take an additional 10% OFF orders $50 or more” CODE: ONSALE

Makes the bike an even better deal by cutting almost an extra $20 off.

2. RL February 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Wow, good looking out Raiyn!

3. Raiyn February 22, 2010 2:55 pm

So much for Nashbar catalog subscribers getting a special code. :(

4. Ghost Rider February 22, 2010 3:36 pm

Anyone with a smidgen of Internet savvy can turn up an active discount code for Nashbar…”catalog subscribers” — HA!!!

5. Raiyn February 22, 2010 6:45 pm

Yeah I know, I used to be one of the guys who always posted them as soon as I got the new catalog.

6. Gianni February 23, 2010 6:10 am

That is a cool bike for $200, but to call it a commuter bike? No rack, no fenders (and barely any room for them), skinny tires, no lights, and no kickstand? And one gear? (subjective, I know) We really have to change our mindset about what constitutes a commuter bike in our country.

7. Ghost Rider February 23, 2010 6:19 am

@Gianni — seriously? We’ve been through this OVER and OVER on this site (and the subject has been echoed on dozens of other sites). There is no one “commuter bike” — if it’s got two wheels, it qualifies. Not everyone needs fenders, racks or all that other stuff (of course, lights are fairly mandatory).

Many of us commute on stripped-down bikes, fixed or singlespeed, with no fenders or other accessories. What works for others may not work for you, but that doesn’t mean it is somehow wrong.

8. Gianni February 23, 2010 7:43 am

@Ghost Rider – sorry, I’m new to this site. I didn’t know this had been argued to death. And I totally agree that whatever you commute on can be called a commuter bike. The big difference lies in how much potential you see for bike commuting in the US. You and I are enthusiasts. And most of the bikes dealers want and sell are tailored to us. The real potential for growing the commuter market lies with the non-enthusiasts. They aren’t going to join our ranks if the bikes don’t offer at least some of the solutions a car does. It’s my belief that most non-enthusiasts just aren’t going to buy a bike that they have to add stuff to – to protect them if the roads are wet, or if they’re caught out after dusk, or if they want to carry something without getting a sweaty back, or keep their clothes from getting greasy, or even simply keep their bike from falling over when they want to park it. That’s all I mean by mindset. I’d like us to start thinking about what our Moms, wives, Dads, etc., want in a bike, not just us. We already love bikes!

9. Iron_Man February 23, 2010 8:00 am

Honestly Gianni I don’t believe bike choice is much of a stumbling block for Americans to start commuting by bicycle. It’s the physical exertion, demands on time, concerns about appearance, exposure to the elements and the perceived risk that holds people back. Once people get past those hurdles bike choice is really not much of an issue. Most are ready to make do with what they have or just go find a decently priced bike. Newbies don’t go into it with an idea of what is needed in a commuter bike. They discover those needs according to their own individual experiences and preferences.

I am seriously considering a single speed bike like this because my current commute of 7 miles each way is mostly flat. For my last commute (35 miles round trip through hilly country) a bike like this would not have been a good choice….for me. I know of younger pups than I that love a single speed regardless of terrain or distance. I like Dutch style bikes with all the bells and whistles for their esthetics for the commuter, but I’d never buy one based on my riding style and desires. My wife probably wouldn’t either. She’s too fast for one.

10. Ghost Rider February 23, 2010 8:23 am

I’m with Iron Man — I’m not sure novice commuters know that fenders, racks and other accessories are tremendously useful items to have…my concern is that folks simply find riding a bike instead of a car sweaty, tiring, complicated or incovenient. THAT’S what we need to work on…to dispel those kinds of mindsets.

11. Ghost Rider February 23, 2010 8:24 am

And Gianni, welcome to the site — we’ve covered a lot of territory here and sometimes forget that folks are just tuning in. Feel free to browse our extensive archive…there’s something for everyone in there!!

12. sfurry February 23, 2010 8:26 am

For $200, it’s a great start for commuter bike. I don’t know if it’s a faux-pas, but I might buy one and replace the fixie hub with a 7or8 gear internal. The bike is still simple, and will help me on the hills.

13. Gianni February 23, 2010 9:13 am

Perceived risk is a big one. Which we should all be contributing to reducing. But, just focusing on the bike, I think us enthusiasts are underestimating what a non-enthusiast wants or is capable of. Check this out:

These people are just getting places. Would they still be using the bike if they couldn’t wear their street clothes, or got sprayed with mud, or had to carry their bags? (disregarding their great cycling infrastructure) Without those features, which I doubt they consider add-ons or probably even think about, I bet they would take the bus or drive. We’re still comparing the newbie to us, who already ride a lot, or like Iron_Man’s wife, like to ride fast.

14. Iron_Man February 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Clearly those folks at that site get it, but then again Americans aren’t Danes. So many people bike in Denmark that newbies are already knowledgeable about bicycle commuting. I don’t even think it would occur to a Dane to call it bicycle commuting. It’s just cycling over there and it’s a part of daily life for so many. Here in the states I’m just a nut-case with a death wish.

15. Ghost Rider February 23, 2010 4:21 pm

Yes…for most of the rest of the world, a bike is simply a tool. That tool comes with a bunch of stuff preinstalled and I’m convinced folks in the Netherlands, China and Denmark simply just don’t think about it that much…they just do it.

Meanwhile, we here in the U.S. attach so much meaning to our bikes — giving them silly names, accessorizing with pretty colors and doodads, shaving those all-important grams off for maximum performance (even on non-performance-oriented machines). We’re not even close to the point that the bike is viewed as a transportation tool, not as a unique expression of ourselves.

16. Raiyn February 23, 2010 6:19 pm

I think what Gianni is missing here is the fact that the bike posted is a good base to start a commuter bike project. It has many of the requisite braze ons for fenders, racks, bottles etc. (Not to mention it’s on a site that sells and suggests products to go with it)
    As far as “non-enthusiasts” not wanting to accessorize a bike to suit their perceived or learned needs I say hogwash! Having worked in a bike shop that sold mainly to the non-enthusiast demo I have to say that once you got the would be customer past the idea that Wal-Mart sold the “same” bike (or that “bike company from when they were kids….oh yeah Schwinn”)they were much more open to adding parts to better serve their riding style.

17. Sam February 24, 2010 4:33 am

Does anybody have any experience with this bike or manufacturer?

18. Graham February 24, 2010 9:42 am

I was thinking the same thing. This bike is priced just right and might tempt me to buy it with the intent to fit an IGH onto it. I’ve seen some of the bikes sold with IGH’s and a lot of them are overbuilt for what I need. I could start out with a reasonable bike and built it up over time as my budget allows. Could be fun!

19. sfurry February 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Exactly, I placed my order last night. I can give fixie a try and if its not for me, I’ll get an IGH. Maybe I keep the single gear and take up bike polo! For the price, you definitely have options.

20. Raiyn February 24, 2010 3:14 pm

@ Sam
    Generally Nashbar frames get positive reviews. Nashbar’s been around for 30 something years and everything I’ve gotten from their house brand has worked fine. They may not have the zoot factor of the “name” brand but at this price point it’s pretty much a bike you can lock up outside and not worry too much about.

21. Raiyn February 24, 2010 3:34 pm

To put it another way you can get a “cheap” bike from Wally World or you can buy this “inexpensive” bike from Nashbar

A little copypasta for seasoning:

In general, cheap products are made with inferior materials, using inferior manufacturing processes and therefore producing inferior products. This allows cheap products to be offered to the consumer at what appears to be inexpensive prices. We see a low price and start shopping from there; forgetting all about the purpose for our purchase. Inexpensive products are made with quality materials using quality manufacturing processes to produce quality products that are offered at low prices. Inexpensive products may not be as low priced as cheap products but here’s where the math come in. When you talk cheap verses inexpensive, the word value is the deciding factor. You can determine the value of something by comparing the cost times the quality.

Low Cost * Low Quality = cheap = a poor value
    Low Cost * Good Quality = inexpensive = a good value
    Low Cost * High Quality = inexpensive = a great value

22. Ghost Rider February 24, 2010 4:33 pm

I’ve got a Nashbar MTB frame…it’s NICE and is a tremendous value. I suspect the parts on the above bike aren’t particularly great; merely serviceable. But, as with any bike, you can always upgrade or replace components to your heart’s (and wallet’s) content.

23. RL February 24, 2010 4:34 pm

I wish I had the extra funds laying around to get this bike right now. It’s a pretty good steal.

24. sfurry February 24, 2010 5:19 pm

I’ll give you my review of it when my bike arrives.

25. Iron_Man February 25, 2010 8:12 am

I need some single speed advice. I’m a strong rider that likes to go reasonably fast, though I don’t race. I average 16-18 mph in the flats at cruising speed and can hit 20-22 comfortably when I feel like pushing it a bit. Will a 42 x 16 ratio (which seems the most popular) be fine or should I go a little harder? I’ve tried to pay attention to that ratio on my geared bikes to see how starting is and how quickly I might feel like I’m spinning out, and it seems OK. But I clearly lack the real world scenario of a true single speed experience. So who rides what and what ratios does he/she enjoy, particularly for a mostly flat-ish commute.

26. ToxicHaste February 27, 2010 5:34 pm

I got a mailer from Performance Bike advertising the Diamondback Insight RS for $199.99.

* Heat-Treated / Butted Aluminum Frame w/ Formed / Hooded Top Tube, Integrated Head Tube, DB Snake Stays, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger
    * Comes complete with Racks and Fenders
    * Insight Integrated Aluminum Straight Blade Performance Hybrid Fork
    * Suntour NEX Crankset w/ Sealed Bottom Bracket
    * Shimano 8-spd EF-50 Shifters & Shimano Altus Rear Derailleur
    * Weight:29 lbs
    * Number of Gear Speeds:24 Speed
    * Seat Post:Alloy

I scanned the ad if you wanna give it a look-see:

27. RL February 27, 2010 5:57 pm

Wow that’s even a better deal!

28. ToxicHaste February 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Yeah, I was just there this morning checking it out and found out they do lay-away. I dropped forty bucks on it to lock in the price. I should have the rest of the money together in a month or so.

29. Ghost Rider February 28, 2010 8:32 pm

@sfurry — I’m not familiar with the latter, but Bikes Direct has a reputation for some pretty incredible deals. In most cases, the brands (Motobecane, Dawes, Windsor, Mercier, etc.) are Taiwanese revamps of classic cycling marques. The bikes are good; parts choices in some cases hit price points and may not be the best stuff on the market, but it’s hard to say “no” to the deals available. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Bikes Direct’s customer service, too, and I know they are a sponsor of a number of Road Bike Review forums (which I take as a positive sign of commitment to cycling).

30. Raiyn March 1, 2010 3:42 pm

I wouldn’t buy a full suspension MTB from them

31. RL March 1, 2010 3:43 pm

Why not? They’ve got some decent FS bikes there.

32. Raiyn March 1, 2010 3:46 pm

If I wanted Aluminum or was OK with a crabon fibber fork I’d be all over their Motobecane Fantom Cross Outlaw.

33. Raiyn March 1, 2010 3:50 pm

The suspension designs are at best dated