Tampa’s Bike to Work Days

Tampa BayCycle is sponsoring two Bike to Work days, on March 5th and March 26th. This year, there are EIGHT group rides to choose from: Seminole Heights, two West Tampa routes, Channelside, Bayshore/South Tampa, Harbour Island, Temple Terrace and Davis Island. All rides culminate with a meet-and-greet at Indigo Coffee in downtown Tampa (514 N. Franklin Street).

poster

For a giant poster-sized version with all the lurid details on routes and start times, please click here.

Hopefully I’ll see some of you out there — with luck, I’ll be riding on March 26th…this will be the first time since I moved to Tampa that I’m actually working on Bike to Work day!!!

1. Steve A March 1, 2010 5:31 am

It seems too early for this. I know why you Florida lot jump the gun, but it’s 35 and raining here today.

2. Iron_Man March 1, 2010 7:30 am

As a graphics guy I’m a little put off by the tricycle image. Doesn’t that image reinforce the “bikes are toys. Get ’em off the streets.” stigma that we all have to contend with? I certainly support the efforts of Bike to Work Days, but I was just a little struck by the toddler toy being used to represent people getting to work by bicycle. I feel similarly when a photo of a hardcore roadie is used on BtW days; the message is being distorted by the choice of graphics.

That said, I do hope it’s a huge success. Honest!

3. Ghost Rider March 1, 2010 7:50 am

Iron Man, I’m right there with you…the graphic designer is probably not also a cyclist and may not realize the potentially damaging effect such an image has on the public’s perception of this and other events. I think they were going for “cutsie”, but cutesie doesn’t work for me.

On the other hand, it’s possible that someone looks at this event poster and says, “hey, it’ll be like being a kid again…this should be fun!”

I don’t like seeing lycra warriors on these types of event posters, either. How ’bout some folks in regular workday garb riding regular bicycles? — the message being that one doesn’t need any fancy gear to try this bike-commuting thing out!

4. BluesCat March 1, 2010 9:07 am

Yeah, I would much rather see a graphic of a well dressed professional, a big smile on his face and his necktie blowing back over his shoulder, zooming by a bunch of angry drivers caught in a traffic jam.

5. BluesCat March 1, 2010 9:08 am

Oops, edit that to say “a well dressing bike riding professional …”

6. BluesCat March 1, 2010 9:11 am

Dang … “a well dressed bike riding …”

(Tough morning, folks: I couldn’t bike-to-work today so I’m ALL messed up!)

7. Doug Jesseph March 1, 2010 1:01 pm

I’ll swing by to help send the group off, Jack, but I’m headed North @ that hour rather than South. BTW, could bikecommuters.com do something about Tampa’s weather? This cold stuff is getting tiresome and I understand the site is well connected to extremely powerful forces.

8. Raiyn March 1, 2010 3:31 pm

Hrmm I need to see if theirs anything going on on my side of the bridge….

9. Raiyn March 1, 2010 3:32 pm

Oh sweet jeezie there’s

10. BluesCat March 1, 2010 3:52 pm

Raiyn – LOL! I wonder if it’s possible to allow post editing by the poster here on Bike Commuters … ROTF … this thread would only be half as big! … LMAO.

11. Ghost Rider March 1, 2010 4:02 pm

Oh, I could edit these comments…that’s well within my powers. I’m just having WAY too much fun watching y’all stumble over the English language today!

12. Raiyn March 1, 2010 4:13 pm

Y’all? Ohai Pot!

13. Doug Jesseph March 1, 2010 6:48 pm

@ Jack: As I said, this site has connections with powerful forces. Work on the weather, man. Editing comments is far below your station.

14. Jose March 2, 2010 3:03 pm

I just want to mention that the Hillsborough County affiliate of Habitat for Humanity (http://www.habitathillsborough.com/) is getting a jump on Bike to Work Day with its first ever Bike to Build Day on Thursday, March 4. :)

Jack, I’ll probably ride out and join you and the rest of the Seminole Heights Ride to Work group on Friday morning, even though I’ll have to turn around after reaching downtown Tampa and ride back to Seminole Heights to help prepare the lot for the next Habitat wallraising on Saturday.