New Build Project: Soma Double Cross DC

Soma Fabrication recently sent us the Double Cross DC to do a Dual Purpose Project Bike.

• Tange Prestige heat-treated butted CrMo steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end

• Clearance for 700x38c tires with fenders

• Rear spacing fits road or mtn. hubs.

• Optional matching IRD straight blade disc fork available. If you want to run cantilevers, you can choose to use the Slick Black lugged crown fork that goes with the standard Double Cross.

• Rear disc mounts are located on the seatstay, so if you intend to use a rack in conjunction with disc brakes, you will need racks designed to work with disc brakes, which are available from Topeak, Axiom, Delta and us. Fits 160mm rotors only.

• 1-1/8″ size headtube – w/ extra height so you use less spacers.

• 7 sizes: 48cm to 60cm

• 4.2 lbs (54cm)

• Paint: Midnight Silveri

soma double cross

soma double cross

Plus a lugged steel fork…ooooh tange.

So what do I mean by “dual purpose?” Since this is a Cyclocross frame, I plan on building it to be used on my local mountain bike trails and of course, for commuting. Rather than going with traditional drop bars, the Double Cross DC will be set up with either a flat or riser bar. I’ll post updates of the build as I progress with the project.

1. jersey rider March 12, 2010 10:58 am

this is what i need or should be on the market,this will do good for any cyclists.can use for commtuing or club rides

2. RL Policar March 12, 2010 11:01 am

I’m pretty excited about this build. I’ve got most of my parts ready to be installed.

3. Ghost Rider March 12, 2010 11:30 am

May I suggest “dirt drops” for bars rather than flatties?

That’s the one type of bike missing from my fleet — a true cyclocross frame. With rack/fender eyelets, it speaks to me as the ULTIMATE platform for a versatile commuter. I just wish more companies made road brake levers/brifters that played nicely with V-brakes.

4. Raiyn March 12, 2010 9:49 pm

Awww not going disc? That’s actually a shame in my (never-so) humble opinion.

Perhaps dirt drops w/ Tektro RL520 levers running V-brakes with some barcons on shifting?

5. Bill Baker March 14, 2010 8:49 am

i will agree with Raiyn . just got m first bike with disc brakes…never going back. changed my life. but to each their own

6. RL Policar March 14, 2010 4:38 pm

No disc. The wheelset I have are rim brake. But I do love disc, all my mountain bikes are disc.

7. Ghost Rider March 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Disc brakes are great, but they’re probably not needed in So. Cal the way they would be in Portland, Minnapolis or other city that gets a lot of rain and snow. With the exception of fairly recently, it’s pretty dry in the south part of California.

8. Raiyn March 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Soma sent the DC as opposed to the regular Double Cross. I’d take that as a hint, but that’s me.

9. RL March 14, 2010 9:23 pm

Ya that’s all you. Like I said, my current wheel set is rim brake. So that means we’re sticking to RIM BRAKE. In the event that I go to disc brakes, you’ll be the first to be notified.

Dang Raiyn, stop busting my balls.

10. Jeremy March 14, 2010 10:04 pm

That bike would have some serious ugly going on if you went with disc brakes and had those nasty canti posts sticking out. It’s nice of them to offer both on a single frame (i guesS) but would make more sense if they just offered the same frame in disc or canti setups.

Have fun with the build! Looking forward to updates.

11. Jeremy March 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Just read the specs on the Soma website. It seems the canti posts are removable.

Remove posts from bike, insert foot in mouth.

12. Ghost Rider March 15, 2010 4:10 am

So, RL, you’re trying to say that you’re gonna put discs on this frame? 😉

13. Thinairtraveler March 15, 2010 11:48 am

This frame is on my short list for purchase this year once my job location moves closer to home. My current cyclocross commuter will soon be too much bike. It is possible. Having disc brakes and room for wide tires with an eccentric singlespeed hub would work year-round in Denver without wearing out rims from wintry crap.

Looking forward to seeing the build.

14. Raiyn March 15, 2010 12:16 pm

@ RL
    Sorry, that did come off as a bit harsh.