Thank You For Your Input!!!

At the end of January, I asked our readers to provide input on their bike/train experiences. This was part of a research project I did for a rail advisory group — a group interested in gathering a variety of information for a major rail carrier relating to both recreational cyclists/travelers and multi-modal commuters (bike/rail) for the purposes of developing new stops, routes and procedures for moving bikes and cyclists aboard trains.

I prepared a package of research for them, including several government studies, policies/procedures from municipal transit organizations, photographs of equipment and carrying options and other data. The group was very pleased with the package, but what they absolutely RAVED about was YOUR comments and insights. Frankly, they were blown away by the thoughtful responses you provided to my questions. So, thanks…the rail carrier in question is moving forward with some plans to add routes and bike-carrying capacity to the region being studied. In fact, the representative from the rail carrier told us that based on your comments, they’re refining the procedures to bring bikes onto the trains; now they’ll have the same setup system-wide.

I appreciate your help with this, and just wanted to let you know that without you and your comments, our site really wouldn’t be very fun or informative. Thanks again!

1. Jules April 7, 2010 4:08 am

So who is the rail carrier? What region? National?

2. Raiyn April 7, 2010 2:08 pm

Unless I’m completely off base he’s referring to the central Florida high speed / commuter rail corridor.

3. Ghost Rider April 7, 2010 4:34 pm

@Raiyn…way off! Nice try, though.

The area in question is the NE Atlantic Seaboard, with emphasis on parts of Pennsylvania and access to the Allegheny Trail, with consideration for other points like getting cycle tourists to and from the C&O Canal. As you might imagine, the rail carrier in question is the big one…Amtrak.

4. Raiyn April 8, 2010 12:23 pm

@ Ghost I never said I didn’t make the occasional misktake. πŸ˜›

I still think it’s a good idea for the locals to take a look at the info though.

5. Ghost Rider April 8, 2010 1:06 pm

If the “locals” contact me, I’ll put together a package for them, too. I have very affordable research fees!

6. Ted Lewandowski April 9, 2010 6:28 am

Hello Jack,

Would there be any way you could share some of your research with me (if some of it might be applicable to other areas) so that I can submit it to MBTA which is a commuter rail line between Providence and Boston. Thanks in advance! – Ted

7. Raiyn April 9, 2010 1:43 pm

@ Ghost
    Pfft! Good one!

8. Ghost Rider April 9, 2010 3:23 pm

@Ted,

sorry, no can do…but rest assured that MBTA was one of the regional transit authorities looked at for ideas. I think I even submitted photos of their current setups in the package.

@Raiyn,

There was no kidding…got to pay to play!

9. Raiyn April 10, 2010 3:24 pm

@Ghost No I was remarking to the effect that the locals would rather pay some outside dingleberry to fudge something than pay for valid information.

10. Ghost Rider April 10, 2010 6:39 pm

@Raiyn, ha…I get ya!

That brings up a similar gripe I have. You KNOW they’re going to pay someone big bucks to do an environmental impact study for the new rail line between here and Orlando. Well, it just so happens that I still have a copy of the original study when this thing was pitched the FIRST time Floridians voted for it. But will they use the old one? Of course not…they’ll piss away a pile of the money and make some new contractor happy.

11. Raiyn April 11, 2010 1:56 pm

@ Ghost
    Still pulling from the “So what else is new?” file I see. πŸ˜›