Haulin’ a Load

We’re big fans of cargobikes, trailers and other load-hauling bikes here at Bikecommuters.com…the bigger and badder the load, the more respect we’ve got.

So, it was very nice to check my inbox today and find a photo sent by our friend Ann Rappaport (Rapps)…she snapped this photo of an enterprising youth in Huntington Woods, Michigan towing what appears to be a homemade wooden trailer with his lawncare gear aboard:

Ann told me it was well above 90 degrees that day, too. MUCH respect!!!

1. Robert Rowe July 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Now, if he was hauling a reel mower, it would be much lighter!
    Really cool that he thought to lug all the stuff by bike, though.

2. Elizabeth August 1, 2010 4:15 am

That’s a pretty impressive trailer he’s got.

3. Raiyn August 1, 2010 10:08 am

Although, the kid’s look says it all. I’m an adult and I’d be creeped out if some random person took my picture from their car without permission.

4. Mendocino August 1, 2010 11:29 am

And I think I’m awesome when I carry 40 lbs of groceries… that kid definitely has my respect.

5. Bryan August 2, 2010 12:27 pm

I remember doing that as a kid but didn’t have a nice trailer like that though. I just pulled the mower backwards with one hand while the other was on the bars. This kid has got it going on though. I wonder how well his business is going.

6. Ghost Rider August 2, 2010 3:47 pm

With a rig like that, how could that kid NOT be successful!

7. jim August 3, 2010 3:12 am

There’s an older fellow(I’d guess early 70’s) in my neck of the woods with a similar rig. Got himself a little landscape business to suplement his Social Security. I’ve seen him chugging up the Niagara Escarpment rig in tow, on his way to a job in Niagara Falls. It’s a 2 mile climb @ 13% grade! Now that’s got my respect!

8. Bob P. August 3, 2010 9:56 am

I am with Bryan – I pulled the mower behind me, and put the gas can in the grass catcher – that was late ’70s. Just sold my gas mower and push a reel. Reel men don’t have gas. And because it needs to be said – some Americans will do this kind of work.

9. Bobby D August 5, 2010 11:52 am

I’m with Bob P.
    Reel mowers Rule!!!!
    Been using mine for the last 3yrs and love it!

10. 100poundsago August 9, 2010 6:21 am

That kid is going places in life, look how organized he is already..even has his hearing protection! I live a stones throw from Huntington Woods and the roads around there are no joke. I feel like tracking this kid down and giving him a helmet and a gaggle of blinking lights for the rear of his rig.

11. Andrew July 18, 2012 8:49 am

i am his former partner and he is not in the buisness i took over after that season was over and thank all of you guys for the wonderful comments

12. Ghost Rider July 18, 2012 11:29 am

Andrew — good luck on the business venture! I hope you’re still using that trailer.

13. Andrew July 20, 2012 5:58 pm

no we made a new one and sold the other one to our friends who have a business just like mine

14. Louie July 20, 2012 6:05 pm

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog