Build your own repair shop posted a great article on some of the basic items you’ll need to build up a shop in your garage so you can do repairs on your own bikes.

I’m not necessarily speaking in terms of selling bicycles out of your garage, but a place where you can wrench on your own bike and perhaps a few of your friend’s bikes. For those that have been to my tornado torn garage, they’ll know that I’ve got a pretty messy set up, but it works for me. Here’s a few tips to help you create your own repair shop.

1. Basic tools. You can find your most basic tool kit from online retailers like, and etc. They generally run about $45-$50 per kit. These tool kits usually has most of the items you’ll need to work on bikes such as a cassette tool, chain whip, bottom bracket tool and a set of allen wrenches just to name a few.

Read the whole article HERE.

1. Jack November 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Unless you know what you are doing it can be a bad idea to get a load of Tools,you could end up with bit’s and pieces all over the Shop/Garage/ Front Room/ and not know how to put your best Bike together again.

These Bike courses are a great way to Swot up on Bicycle Maintenance if they are in your Neighbourhood.

I can do Basic Stuff but would like to know more about it. I would certainly like a Bike Stand that would be very handy for Holding the Bike Upright while Working on it plus some Tools for Adjusting Bikes but apart from that it is Safer to bring it to my LBS.Dublin IRL.

2. RL November 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Great point about the bike maintenance courses. Most local shops will host a “shop night” in which they’ll teach people how to work on their own bikes. I’d suggest people call a shop and find out when the next one will be.

3. Jack November 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Thanks RL. In Dublin there is one Bike Maintenance Course that is coming up soon.It is being Run by a Group by the Name of Rothair which is the Gaelic for Bicycle. They are a Group that Accepts Old unwanted Bikes and fixes them up and Sells them Cheaply to People.

I have seen People on some nice Vintage Bikes that they have Sold from their Shop in Phibsborough . They are Posting Applications on Facebook for the Course.

4. Ghost Rider November 18, 2010 9:18 pm

What I did when I first started doing my own bike maintenence was to buy tools as I needed them. The tool “kits” simply weren’t available when I went down this road (30+ years ago), and I’ve found that many of the prepackaged kits have some tools one would never use; therefore it’s money wasted.

Ready to rebuild some hubs? Buy the cone wrenches. Tackling a BB installation? Get the appropriate spanners. Beyond those specialty tools, a basic set of metric hex keys and a multi-bit screwdriver will take you a long way towards keeping your bike healthy and functional.

And, there are a ton of online repair resources, particularly the great videos at Bicycle Tutor and the photo-heavy tutorials at the Park Tool repair database. Prefer a more hands-on learning experience? Look for a bike co-op in your area — most are eager to pass some mechanical knowledge on to a novice wrencher for very reasonable rates.

5. Doug Jesseph November 19, 2010 8:11 am

I agree with Ghost Rider that the basic kits are not a good deal. You’ll almost certainly end up with tools specific to components you don’t have: cone wrenches in sizes you don’t need, a BB tool for a setup different from yours, etc. Plus, you’ll usually get low-quality screwdrivers, brushes, and wrenches that (at best) duplicate things you already own, but are probably worse than what you currently have in the garage. Then there’s the stuff I can’t live without and which is rarely included in a starter kit: 1.) A decent torque wrench with hex and torx bits, 2.) A rubber mallet, 3.) A propane torch for those “heat it and beat it” extractions, 4.) A magnetized parts dish to keep hold of all the small parts that you have to remove and reinstall.
    As for the bike stand, I highly recommend putting some serious money into this purchase. All sorts of pain awaits you if you have a lousy stand, and the cheap ones I’ve encountered are awful: unstable, incapable of holding the bike firmly, and prone to gouging the frame with their low quality clamps. Spend $200 for something decent that will actually let you get some serious work done without messing up your bike.

6. Ghost Rider November 19, 2010 1:27 pm

I need one of those magnetized parts bowls…I lose stuff constantly into the recesses of my “shop” (the deck behind my house).

+1 on the rubber mallet and propane torch recommendations. You may not need them often… but when you do, nothing else will work! I just heated off a frozen fixed cup from a Puch I’m rebuilding — even the Sheldon Brown fixed cup “tool” trick didn’t work, nor did vise grips and a hammer. After heating that cup cherry red, it spun right off…and didn’t damage the BB threads in the frame.