Something from our Facebook Fan Page

If you’re a fan on our Facebook page, then you may have seen this thread going: Do you think with the current rise in gas prices, we’ll see more bike commuters this coming spring?

Here are a few responses:

The only thing stopping most people in my community/city is that the roads are just cyclist unfriendly.

Yes. The gas price hike in 2008 was why I started riding.

What are your thoughts on the question posted above?

1. Tony Bullard December 30, 2010 1:51 pm

“ii think gas would have to be $5/gallon to see a significant change….i wouldnt mind it being higher even!!”

Idiot. I guess he also likes food and goods to all be more expensive too.

2. Alan@TreeFort December 30, 2010 1:52 pm

The specific price of gas and the rate at which it rises will have the most impact. If we see a sharp rise in gas prices before the auto market has time to adjust (say, an average $4 or higher in 2 months), then definitely there will be more of us out there on bikes. A slow rise in price over a longer period in time will still definitely give us more commuters than now, but will give more time for the auto industry to adapt by (finally) making smaller, gas efficient, and AFFORDABLE cars.

3. Alan@TreeFort December 30, 2010 1:54 pm

@Tony. Maybe so, or maybe it will push people to buy local instead of Kiwi from New Zealand :-).

4. Ghost Rider December 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I don’t think things are as simple as skyrocketing gas prices…but that will definitely push more people out of their cars and onto an alternative (bike/bus/rail).

And for Tony’s comment — I don’t proclaim to understand the whole dynamic of fuel prices and goods/grocery prices, but I do remember that when I lived in Europe, fuel was extremely expensive but goods and foodstuffs were not. Is it just that the Europeans learned years ago to produce and purchase their goods locally and “eat in season” rather than shipping strawberries halfway across the globe? Or is there something else going on?

5. Bob P. December 30, 2010 4:28 pm

I was seeing an increase in riders on my route. I do believe that the fuel prices will get people on bikes.

6. Karen December 30, 2010 7:26 pm

I truly believe that we won’t see real change in the emphasis on the car culture until we see gas prices going to at least $4 or $5 per gallon, maybe even higher. It took prices near $3 for me to become a regular user of public transit, which turned out to be quite different from what I originally expected (much better). Gas went to nearly $4 when my husband and I decided to go to one car and ride our bikes to work and errands. I think most people will go with change once they really don’t have a choice. I think high enough gas price (perhaps accompanied by higher gas taxes) will force gov’t at every level to pay more than lip service to transportation alternatives.

7. MtnWrench December 31, 2010 10:03 am

I would expect so… This is GOOD for the local bicycle economy here in Portland. Everything is pretty close, bicycle commuting makes the most sense. It just takes some time to prepare and adapt your regular routine for the added gear & weather variations. In the last week or so, I’ve noticed the prices went up about $.10 per gallon! My family is a one car clan. I ride to and from work and around town to grab groceries, etc.
    The car usually takes $25 to fill and lasts for 2 weeks. At one time, it cost $40 to fill it up! I believe prices will continue to rise and more people will look to bicycles and public transportation to get to work. I have a dream…

8. Eric D. January 1, 2011 9:15 am

Bike commuters are very rare in my area — I see maybe one or two a day on my 12-mile car commute. This is one of the most bike-unfriendly cities (Dallas, TX) and the suburb I live in has absolutely no accommodations for cyclists. I would love to commute by bike, but the roads are simply too dangerous to make this practical.

9. Walt D January 2, 2011 4:01 pm

Gas will rise all summer to a predicted $4 gal by memorial day to rise even further into $5 gal by mid 2012.

Let’s hope there is money to up grade roads to allow more cycling.